PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mistake bit me in the ass.

dsmguy7
11-18-09, 23:23

fledge
11-18-09, 23:28
I hope you recover quickly. Sorry this happened to you.

Good reminder to all of us that no what other people say we are the only ones responsible for ourselves and gotta stay sharp.

Bantee
11-18-09, 23:28
It's not stupidity bro, it's called living and we've all done it at some point or another. Glad you're okay, those bikes will get you!

Mark71
11-18-09, 23:40
It could have been a lot worse. I knew a few guys who left too soon on a bike. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thomas M-4
11-18-09, 23:43
Glad you are OK sorry to hear about the broken arm. Get used to sleeping with it above your head to help keep the throbbing down.

I rode motorcycles for a couple of years until a jerk cut in front of me and the front wheel locked up on some loose gravel that was on the road. I was going around 40MPH. I got a good case of road rash 8 years later you can still see some of it.

ThirdWatcher
11-19-09, 00:28
It's not stupidity bro, it's called living and we've all done it at some point or another.

+1

Don't be so hard on yourself. We ALL make mistakes and trust me, it doesn't stop at 28. Keep fighting the good fight.:)

M4Fundi
11-19-09, 00:32
Your only 28? Don't worry you have years of stupid mistakes ahead of you:p

God Bless & Heal Fast

p.s. I'm having surgery soon to correct one of my stupid mistakes;)

militarymoron
11-19-09, 01:11
ouch. sorry to hear that happened, and thanks for the reminder. as one who rides a motorcycle 3-4 times a week, and has been down 4 times, i feel your pain. hope you heal up fast.

ZDL
11-19-09, 02:04

CarlosDJackal
11-19-09, 04:54
It has been said that EXPERIENCE is the worse teacher; you get the final exam before you get the lesson.

Hope you heal quickly and fully.

HD1911
11-19-09, 06:03
crashing sucks my man. Even in full race attire it blows to hit the pavement and other things.

Best of luck to a speedy recovery.

ra2bach
11-19-09, 08:55
you're a cop and you rode someone else's bike without insurance. and you knew there was low pressure in the tires? if you were my 17 yr old boy I'd slap you.

there was no gravel. you were going too fast for your comfort/experience and the ass-end came around because you used the rear brake too hard. and you didn't "overcorrect", you high-sided.

guess what? stupid is supposed to hurt...

Selftest
11-19-09, 09:07
A little hard on him, eh?

We've all, every single one of us, done something stupid that hurt and cost us some cash. The only thing stupider would be making the same mistake again.

The thing for your friends to do now, is to man the **** up, and ease some of that financial burden for ya. $1400 is a lot for one guy, but split 3 ways is a whole hell of a lot more manageable. Yes, it was your fault, yes, it was your mistake, but peer pressure is a bitch. Even at 28. Maybe ESPECIALLY at 28. I'm damn near 27 and I have a whole hell of a lot of hurt coming my way.

Safetyhit
11-19-09, 09:07
My friend, don't be so hard on yourself. Yes, it was a mistake, but an innocent one. And the only person hurt was you, which is a blessing of sorts. As a police officer I am sure you know exactly what I mean.

You went for a ride on a motorcycle and crashed, which often happens. Oh well, lesson learned. Move on.

And as a 40 year old, I can absolutely assure you that there are a great many valuable lessons to be learned after the ripe old age of 28.

You'll be fine. :)

vaglocker
11-19-09, 10:30
Actually the first person to make the mistake was the friend who left his bike with the keys, and said it was cool to ride it. When I was riding, no man, but no man rode my bike but me.

four
11-19-09, 10:39
there was no gravel. you were going too fast for your comfort/experience and the ass-end came around because you used the rear brake too hard. and you didn't "overcorrect", you high-sided.

Ra2bach probably got this one right.

guess what? stupid is supposed to hurt...

Ra2bach, that's a rough world you live in.

Every time I meet a new rider I ask if they've laid the bike down yet.
if they haven't, I tell them "may it be gentle". Best thing you can do is own it, and learn from it. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

dsmguy7
11-19-09, 12:22

dsmguy7
11-19-09, 12:26

JBecker 72
11-19-09, 12:56
Sounds like inexperience and target fixation to me. These things happen, its good you will recover from your injuries too, could have been much worse.
Ive been riding and racing motorcycles for 18 years now, and I still crash a few times a year.
Tho I only ride on race tracks, the street is too dangerous IMO.

check out this forum for replacement parts for the gixxer: (WERA boards)
http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12

Abraxas
11-19-09, 13:04
That will over skill , will get you every time;). Glad to hear that you are through it in better shape than you could have been. Though one thing to remember is that there is always risk in everything that we do. Don't sweat it, just learn from it

caporider
11-19-09, 15:12
Sounds like inexperience and target fixation to me. These things happen, its good you will recover from your injuries too, could have been much worse.
Ive been riding and racing motorcycles for 18 years now, and I still crash a few times a year.
Tho I only ride on race tracks, the street is too dangerous IMO.

Having ridden on various bikes for 9 years now, including cross-country trips that covered a big swath of our country from Groton, CT, to San Francisco, CA, I have arrived at this exact conclusion. I'm a competent, safe rider, but the odds are not good when it's your 700lbs of unprotected self vs multiple hurtling masses of 4,000lbs or more being steered by multitasking zombies.

QuietShootr
11-19-09, 15:25
And as a 40 year old, I can absolutely assure you that there are a great many valuable lessons to be learned after the ripe old age of 28.

That's for sure.

Thomas M-4
11-19-09, 16:00
[QUOTE=c the odds are not good when it's your 700lbs of unprotected self vs multiple hurtling masses of 4,000lbs or more being steered by multitasking zombies.[/QUOTE]

+1 There are some idiots that will flat run your ass over while listing to there music as loud as it will go with all the windows rolled up and the AC blasting while yapping on the damn phone :mad:

dsmguy7
11-19-09, 16:25

FN in MT
11-19-09, 16:37
DO take the Motorcycle Safety Course if you wish to continue with bikes. Teaches a guy the differences between cars and bikes.

Sorry to hear about the injuries..luckily you had a helmet, etc. Could have certainly been worse.

I had a break in Service with the PD I worked for due to a few Army Guard schools and was just returning back to work after 5 months off. The DAY before I go back to work I crash a three wheeler and break my shoulder. So I can relate.

FN in MT

CarlosDJackal
11-19-09, 16:45
I tell you what; the only reason I didn't suffer from the same fate you did a hundred times over is because Saint Michael and the rest of my Guardian Angels were looking out for me.

I pulled out of situations that I wish were on video. To this day I still don't know how I managed to get a Kawasaki ZG1000A7 Concours, a thousand pound bike, to turn 90-degrees without me low-siding into a picket fence at 65 MPH. :eek:

It is always better to be lucky than good.

ADDED: I also credit the MSF's Beginner Rider Course and Experience Rider Course for keeping me alive.

Naxet1959
11-19-09, 16:56
On the bright side, you now have some seriously gnarly stories to tell your kids and others... Heal well and live long!

Macx
11-19-09, 17:47
It is only your first highside. Hope you heal quick and only have 1/2 as many highsides as me, in my 18 years riding on 2. Don't give up on cycling yet.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation can hook you up with some skills training & there are better starter bikes out there. Ain't no shame in riding something appropriate to your skill level. A gixxer is NOT a beginner bike no matter what engine it has in it. The 600's of today have more power than the 1100's of 20 years ago.

+1 Carlos-
ADDED: I also credit the MSF's Beginner Rider Course and Experience Rider Course for keeping me alive.

Belmont31R
11-19-09, 17:56
Too many close calls for me to keep riding especially with a family. I am a pretty good rider, and keep my head on a swivel looking for danger but sometimes theres just nothing you can do. Had an old woman almost sandwich me between a concrete wall and her car after she came across 4 lands. I could have reached out and touched both her car and the wall there was so little room.

I sold my bike and havent looked back. Not just that single incident but I don't like "near misses" every time I go for a ride...

Abraxas
11-19-09, 18:27
I don't like "near misses" every time I go for a ride...

That is no joke! I ride just about every day there is no precipitation, and even some when there is. Every day there is at least one close call, whether I ride hard or easy. The wife hates it, she feels like it is not a matter of if but when.

Irish
11-19-09, 18:45
I'll disagree with the majority of posters here and say you made an absolutely, incredibly stupid decision.

First off, I know you said not to say it, but you are an LEO. You should know better than to ride/drive without insurance and you would sure as shit ticket anyone you caught driving without it, hypocritical to say the least, and incredibly stupid.

Second, this is only the 3rd time you've ridden a bike and you're taking out an uninsured, high-performance GSX-R 600? Think about what these bikes are designed for, high speed riding, and then think about you're skill level, non-existant, does that sound stupid? And more importantly think about your family that you could easily leave behind due to wanting to stroke your ego and getting in way over your head.

I'm not above reproach and have made poor decisions, but in your career path and for your family's sake I suggest you think a little harder the next time you blatantly break the law.

If I sound like a dick, I apologize, but somebody needs to point out the elephant in the room. All that being said I hope you recover quickly and get on with your life as soon as possible.

Caeser25
11-19-09, 18:55
There are two kinds of riders.
1. Those who have been down.
2. Those who will go down.

Caeser25
11-19-09, 18:58
atleast you were smart enough to wear gear unlike a majority of squids, I mean riders, today, although it is a bit cold for a tshirt, shorts and flip flops.

Safetyhit
11-19-09, 19:00
If I sound like a dick, I apologize, but somebody needs to point out the elephant in the room.

I think he has seen and even spoken to the elephant in the room. And he will be doing so again tomorrow at 9.

Might cut him some slack, as I hear a lot of regret in his words.

Irish
11-19-09, 19:25
I think he has seen and even spoken to the elephant in the room. And he will be doing so again tomorrow at 9.

Might cut him some slack, as I hear a lot of regret in his words.

My post was more in reference to the responses on the first page that went along the lines of "you didn't do anything stupid", "everybody makes mistakes" and so on. I hope he cuts some slack to the next person he pulls over and finds them with no proof of insurance.

Out of curiosity what happens now... you get surgery and then what? Do you go to a desk job for a while when something like this happens? If that's the case I don't think anybody should be cut any slack. Sitting around on the taxpayer's dime due to intentionally breaking the law and being reckless.

I'm curious to know what you got ticketed for? What would someone normally get ticketed for in this situation?

murphy j
11-19-09, 20:16
Glad to hear you made it without too much damage. Those multi-tasking zombies got a co-worker/friend of mine a couple of months ago. He was new to bikes, but was doing everything right and got cut off. He had to get in the shoulder and that's where it all went downhill. Cracked skull, broken neck and ruptured both lungs and his heart. This was at 65mph and he was DOA. You got off lucky.

ra2bach
11-19-09, 21:11
Thanks guys. Well in my defense I did air up the tires (thus how I knew they were low). I'm not that stupid. However, the bike was also lowered (gsxr 600) and handled differently from the other friend's gsxr 600. This plus my lack of experience I believe led to the crash. I am by no means an expert, but there was gravel in the road. I can't say for sure if this caused it. I can go along with I was out driving my skill level. My friends are much better than I and took off. I was trying to catch up. I don't remember using the rear brake, but who knows. All I remember was feeling unstable and being afraid to stay leaned over. When I tried to come up I realized that I wasn't going to make the turn. I saw the grass approaching and froze. If I was better, I probably could have salvaged the situation. I think I did "high side" as you say. The inside of my right leg is very bruised and I can only think that this came from the gas tank (making a left curve). Plus the fact that I slid (more like rolled) way past the bike. As far as the owner being pissed: I don't know him. My friend said that he left the bike there 6 months ago and that he was cool with me riding it. I don't think that he asked because he is in a all fired hurry to get it fixed. In fact we got into an argument the other night because I had just got home from the ER and he is asking me how I wanted to handle it (like that was all he cared about). I am a man of my word and will pay for the damage, but I have a lot on my plate right now. Plus I was pissed because he tried to make me feel goofy for asking about insurance and maintenance. I think he lives in a fairy tale world where nothing bad happens and he needs to grow up. However, I made the mistake of riding it anyway and take sole responsibility. While it might be nice to split it up 3 ways; my conscience won't allow me to do it. Please send prayers as I will be in surgery at 9 am tomorrow. I will try to get updates and pics asap.

first of all, your friend is an idiot. and I don't have a much better opinion of you now. yes, I am being hard on you. because you knowingly rode without insurance. you seem young but you also say you're LEO? that's inexcusable, IMO. why? because decisions carry consequences.

you ended up busting your ass and your buddy's bike but what if you lost control in front of another car and caused them to lose control and crash possibly injuring or killing them? what happens then?

no insurance? you're sweating $1400 for bike repairs, could you buy a kid a new daddy or a prosthetic leg because he lost his? this is pretty extreme but you get my point.

anyway, I don't think I'm saying anything that you probably haven't already (or will) said to yourself. you got lucky on this one. no one else was hurt, bike can be fixed, and God willing, you'll heal completely. this was a costly lesson and I'm sure you learned something. in over 40 years of riding, I've done a lot of stupid things. you don't get immunity from it, just experience.

fwiw, I did say a prayer for your surgery...

dsmguy7
11-19-09, 21:20

dsmguy7
11-19-09, 21:28

Abraxas
11-19-09, 21:30
ra2bach: Point taken. Yes I have thought about those things (which is why I'm done with bikes). Thank you for your prayers. I usually have solid judgment. I don't know what to say.

No one is perfect. Don't sweat it

Safetyhit
11-19-09, 21:30
first of all, your friend is an idiot. and I don't have a much better opinion of you now.

Give it a fu*king break already.

You are giving new meaning to the term arrogance.

Blue
11-19-09, 21:33
DSM, get better. Do not get into a pissing match over this (not worth the time or effort).You made a mistake (you are still alive). Call me if you need anything.

Since you will be out, can I have your rifle and ammo ? I will put your gun to the test at the Magpul class in January.

dsmguy7
11-19-09, 21:38

ZDL
11-19-09, 23:21

nfranco
11-19-09, 23:30
dsmguy7, good thoughts for your surgery, glad you're still here.
Do all the PT they give you, it will suck, it will, it will hurt and it will be tempting to skimp at times.

Don't.

It will be three years this december for my accident, car turned left into me, plate and 7 screws(see my avatar). I've got 99% range of motion and full strength.

If bike riding is something you dig don't let this get you down, take the MSF course, take it slow. Like anything in life it's a risk/reward decision.

Off the soapbox now.

Keep us updated, hope you get cute nurses.

Gentoo
11-19-09, 23:31
I hope you recover from your injuries.

It could have been alot worse. For a person who rode motorcycles 2 times prior then taking a gixxer for their 3rd ride and trying to play catch up you should be grateful you aren't dead.

Here is some recommended reading while you recuperate:

beginner motorcycles (http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/MotorcycleIntroA.html#Recomend)

skyugo
11-20-09, 01:47
when it comes to motorcycles, shit happens.

as with firearms, professional training is a really good idea, as is not getting in over your head.

SkiDevil
11-20-09, 03:09
There are two kinds of riders.
1. Those who have been down.
2. Those who will go down.

Amen Brother. If you ride a motorcycle, then sooner or later you WILL lay one down (crash). It is inevitable.

And for the record, if you hit gravel on a bike there is no way to recover. Tires lose traction/ grip on the road, bike goes horizontal. End of story.

I own the larger version (750) of the bike that you were riding. I have not laid it down YET, but I am completely aware that it may eventually happen or that I could be hit and killed (as a few friends have already been). That is a risk that I assume every time I turn the key. Snow skiing, skydiving, and scuba diving are other activities that I enjoy as well. The thrill of the adrenalin rush can be addictive, and there is no drug produced which is as powerful. Although, I have about ten years on you, I did some stupid things in my youth as well.

DO NOT beat yourself up about it. Everyone makes mistakes, whether they will acknowledge it or not. When I got my badge it did not make me any less human. I am sure that the same goes for you. Be thankful that for some reason you have been given a second chance at life. Enjoy your family and focus on the positives of a fast and complete recovery and getting back to your job.

God Bless and may you heal fast Brother.

SkiDevil

P.S. I have some road rash from the two times I did lay different bikes down. After a while, you will forget it is even there.

thopkins22
11-20-09, 10:22
Do all the PT they give you, it will suck, it will, it will hurt and it will be tempting to skimp at times.

Don't.

The best advice in this thread. Work hard to rehab whatever needs it and you'll reap the rewards for the rest of your life with fully functional limbs.

Don't worry about irishluck73's high horse, he'll fall off of it when his woman leaves him for me.:D

CarlosDJackal
11-20-09, 11:17
That is no joke! I ride just about every day there is no precipitation, and even some when there is. Every day there is at least one close call, whether I ride hard or easy. The wife hates it, she feels like it is not a matter of if but when.

This is the reason I gave up riding and chose to spend my money on guns and shooting instead. As sad as it seems, it's safer at a shooting range than it is riding a motorcycle on the road. :eek:

Irish
11-21-09, 01:19
I hope the ground is soft when you fall off that high horse of yours.
I'm not on a high horse, but, I am pointing out parts of your story that I think need to be noted. Posting your story on a public forum is bound to attract comments that you may deem positive or negative, that's open to your interpretation. Not everyone will agree with your actions and I'm one of them. You displayed incredibly poor judgement and as an LEO I would of expected something different. If you don't want people to comment on your story then don't post it on a public forum.

Again, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Irish
11-21-09, 01:19
You don't need insurance on a motorcycle in the state of Florida............

Know it all ;)

ZDL
11-21-09, 01:45

Irish
11-21-09, 01:50
Don't worry about irishluck73's high horse, he'll fall off of it when his woman leaves him for me.:D

One thing I'm definitely not worried about :p ;)

Dunderway
11-21-09, 18:04
This is one of the many cases that highlights my concerns with the recent and ongoing "crotch rocket" trend. People used to start off on little bike then work their way up. I have seen so many kids hurt or killed, because they are jumping on a serious street bike before they even know how to ride.

A 600cc sport bike is not geared towards a new rider. I wouldn't dream of putting a new dirt rider on a 250cc MX/SX bike, because they are designed for experienced vetted riders. Somehow that distinction has been lost in the street bike world.

OP: Hope you recover quickly and that this doesn't kill your love for motorcycles. Buy a nice little cruiser and have fun without caring what your freinds think.

dsmguy7
11-21-09, 18:42

Dunderway
11-21-09, 18:48
Well, for the third time: I was on a gsxr 600 all 3 times.

Irishluck73: Yes this is a public forum and I have no problem with negative comments or constructive criticism. However, you and Ra2bach are extremely harsh and condescending. You guys make it sound like you have never made a mistake and that I should turn in my badge tomorrow. Your ASSumption that I am a hypocrite and that you somehow know what I would ticket someone for is unacceptable. I get that you don't agree with my actions.....Guess what?....neither do I. I believe that I have pointed that out throughout the thread. At least I have the guts to wear a badge every day and also to tell my story on here. It was a humbling experience; as I knew it would be. I wasn't looking for "way to go bro!" or to defend my actions. It was me telling a story to remind everyone that shit happens and to be care full; and to ask for prayer and support. With that I will no longer participate in any pissing match.

I will say thank you for your get well wish.

To everyone else: Thank you for your prayers and support. I had my surgery Friday and was told it went well. I was in a great amount of pain last night. They had to do a nerve block at the outpatient surgery center and prescribed me tylox (which apparently has no effect on me). After two doses and 8 hrs. of much pain; we switched back to lortab and the pain is manageable. I will go back to the doctor on Monday. I will try to get pics up as soon as possible; but have been hurting. Unfortunately for you bike guys; I am done with bikes, guys. Too much risk.

Glad to hear your surgery went well. I gave them up too after many sad experiences with friends. My comments on beginners riding big bikes were geared more towards the people that put you on it than to yourself.

Take care.

Safetyhit
11-21-09, 18:48
Well, for the third time: I was on a gsxr 600 all 3 times.

Irishluck73: Yes this is a public forum and I have no problem with negative comments or constructive criticism. However, you and Ra2bach are extremely harsh and condescending. You guys make it sound like you have never made a mistake and that I should turn in my badge tomorrow.

I think 95% of us here require no such explanation. And I am sorry you feel the need to do so.

Glad things are going well.

dsmguy7
11-21-09, 18:49

dsmguy7
11-21-09, 18:53

Safetyhit
11-21-09, 19:12
At least 2 people said (or sounded like to me) that I was on a low powered bike and for some unknown reason got on a 600 this time. A 600 was all that I have ever had access to. I'm sorry if this was redundant and meant no disrespect.

Actually, I was just referring to the harsh comments in general, not the bike type.

And you surely don't have to apologize to me, or anyone else anymore for that matter.

Just heal.

Gombey
11-21-09, 19:50
First off, i am glad you lived to tell it. I have lost so many friends on bikes (we can't drive until we are 18 back home 16 for bikes) so like I said I am glad that you could type this.

Secondly, that was a mistake EVERYONE that rides makes at least once. Shoot, I have been riding for YEARS I have slid out too many times to count.

I havn't read all the posts, I am sure there are some that are less than pleasant....ignore them.

I am sure there are going to be a lot more lessons to learn, again, so glad you could walk away from this one....

Gombey
11-21-09, 19:54
How are you doing now mate?

dsmguy7
11-21-09, 20:04

Gombey
11-21-09, 20:07
I'm ok. A little pain with the lortab. You are right; I could be dead. Just waiting to go back Monday to see if the plate and screws is taking and if I can take this splint off. My thumb is still numb from the nerve block. I am told this is normal. Hope so; it feels weird. :confused:

:D
Glad to hear you are feeling better, keep us up to date. I am sure it'll all work out

nfranco
11-21-09, 20:16
It will feel strange for a bit, they probably had to move a bunch of stuff around to get the plate in there, kinda messes with some of the nerve connections for a bit but I was told, and it held true in my case, that the nerves will restore themselves to a mostly normal configuration.
Oh yea, chicks dig scars, show it off at Hooters!

NinjaMedic
11-21-09, 20:23
dsmguy7 - Glad you are ok, we all know it could have turned out worse.

We all make bad decisions, you will make other bad ones in the future just like I will. I find it interesting how quick we are to 1) pass judgement on you over the specifics of the incident and 2) attempt to coddle you.

You made a bad decision and seem to have learned from it and were man enough to admit to it. This community should support you and assist you get to healthy and help keep you in good spirits as you sitting depressed at a computer wouldnt be good for your family.

That being said you are a grown man and you made a stupid decision. You have to deal with (which you are) and suffer the repercusions of your actions. I take issue with the posters who feel people are too harsh or should take it easy on you or that you should take it easy on yourself "everyone makes mistakes." This aint 7-11 and you dont get special treatment just because you are a LEO. We all know that if we had been on this call or seen this at work and you were not an LEO we would have been the ones telling you what a stupid decision it was with no respect and no understanding. So, while we should support you and encourage you while you heal, it is a disservice to you as a man and as a LEO to disrespect you by not holding you to the same standard as everyone else. It was indeed a stupid decision as you readily admit, and we all make them, just learn, heal, and move on.

Just my opinion, Stay Safe!

ra2bach
11-24-09, 11:15
Give it a fu*king break already.

You are giving new meaning to the term arrogance.

oof... wow, that's not gonna buff out!

well, doesn't matter, but I wasn't speaking out of arrogance, just concern. I've been riding motorcycles for 38 years - got 6 of them at the house right now - and in that 38 years I've seen or done enough stupid shit to fill several books.

I used to be a "sport" rider. now it's enough just to get out for awhile and back in one piece. I roadraced motorcycles back when people thought that meant you were a jogger. back when 75 horsepower and 540 lbs was a Fa-a-a-a-a-st bike, and fairings were these little bubbles you bolted to your handlebars that made the bike violently wag it's head at anything over 100 mph.

I've ridden around the country a little bit. I put over 40,000 miles on one bike in one year. I've traveled to Italy to ride in a little timed event that covered 1800 kilometers in 5 days on public roads. I've gone a couple years in a row where I didn't own a car, just a bike. year round. in northern Pennsylvania... I've sold bikes in three different shops, worked on bikes, I even worked for a manufacturer.

I've also buried a best friend. my buddy buried his younger brother. I spent the better part of two days waiting outside the ICU with another friend and another "racing buddy" spent three weeks in an induced coma so his brain wouldn't swell up and kill him. he recovered from that but he'll never be the same physically. another friend has a huge scar on his abdomen where the doctors literally had to open him up and remove his intestines to repair the damage to them after an endo. there's more...

I have my own scars, stitches, broken bones, trips to the ER - we laughed about this when we were younger. now, it's not so funny. I've thrown enough good motorcycles down the road to pay for my first house and I didn't listen to a damn thing anyone ever said to me...

on a beautiful sunny day, two friends and I came upon a full dress Harley on it's side and the helmetless rider on his back in the middle of the road making fish-out-of-water breathing motions with his lips. none of us knew what to do other than call 911. I wanted to do something but the other guys said don't touch him. when I got home about 6 hours later I called the hospital and the emergency room surgeon said they "took him upstairs". that meant they harvested his organs.

that one really bothered me...

I got three teenage boys and I worry about them growing up with enough common sense to stay alive or out of the hospital. I know that they're going to be facing a lot of difficult decisions where a lot of their so-called "friends" will be telling them to do things that aren't in their best interests. and even though they know they shouldn't do it, they are going to go along with it because of the pressure.

if you get busted with some beer, or take a toke on a joint, or even break into a house, you can get a second chance. it won't be good but at least you can do better next time around. the problem with motorcycles is in so many cases, there is no do-overs. it's one time and done. kids growing up now don't have the respect for some things that we did. they tend to take everything as though it's a game. a lot of times they don't even know what they're gambling.

I called the OP's "friend" an idiot. I stick by that. he allowed, no, he encouraged, the OP to take a motorcycle belonging to another that was left in his care. he browbeat the OP when he tried to act responsibly about the insurance issue, and then he rode off and left the OP on a fast section of road to catch up when he knew he was basically a beginner. to top it all off, on the night before the OP's surgery, he was dogging him about the money to get the bike fixed. doesn't sound like any kind of "friend" I'd want...

so, I also called the OP an idiot. yep, that was harsh. I know he probably doesn't need that right now but as my Mom always used to say, "sometimes, when you wanna talk to a mule, it's easier to smack it with a brick right between the eyes first so he'll listen to you".

I know kids need to be allowed to fail but this kid has a badge. if this is the best he can do in the face of peer pressure, then maybe he needs give that badge back for a couple years till he grows up. or maybe, he just needs a brick between the eyes.

here's to honestly hoping this was his wake-up call...

Guardian
11-24-09, 13:04
Actually the first person to make the mistake was the friend who left his bike with the keys, and said it was cool to ride it. When I was riding, no man, but no man rode my bike but me.

I'm the same way. No one but me rides my bike.

Safetyhit
11-24-09, 13:17
well, doesn't matter, but I wasn't speaking out of arrogance, just concern. I've been riding motorcycles for 38 years - got 6 of them at the house right now - and in that 38 years I've seen or done enough stupid shit to fill several books.

First of all, I hear you loud and clear. Fully understood and very well spoken.

That said, while your horror stories are relevant to your opinion, you undoubtedly used them to kick this fellow when he was down and clearly displaying a tremendous amount of regret. Therefore, despite your intent it really served no good purpose here.

Now if you had written what you did today in the first place, your point would have made a great deal of sense while at the same time not been deemed offensive or hurtful. It also would have made a positive impact. You clearly have good insight to offer, you just need to check your delivery.

That is my take on it, anyhow.

dsmguy7
11-24-09, 23:30

THellURider
11-25-09, 05:44
+1

For those interested, I got the splint off. It is still swollen pretty bad and hurts. The doctor wants me to work it (move it but no weight), but it hurts like hell. I mean, it is still broken; just held in place by a plate and screws. I go back in two weeks and if I don't have enough range of motion; then I will have to start pt. :(I'm still working on acceptable pics and gotta renew my photo bucket account. If I don't post till then; Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be blessed and stay safe. Thank you for all prayers and support.

Glad to see you're doing better.

FWIW, in March this year I broke my leg skiing in the backcountry. The tibia was in 4 pieces adn the fibula in 2. I still have 2 titanium rods and the associated screws in my leg. It took me about 3 months to be able to put weight on my leg and I'm still limping a little from time to time. I still cannot run or jump like I could before. I'm told this is more of a muscle issue. It takes time, but do what the Doc tells you regarding moving the arm etc. This stimulates bone growth and healing. The more you concentrate on doing what the Doc told you the sooner you'll be 100% again.

dsmguy7
11-27-09, 15:52

nfranco
11-27-09, 15:55
OUCH! That sucks dude. Prayers sent. Thanks for the advice.

How are YOU doing?

dsmguy7
11-27-09, 16:12

Bosbar
11-28-09, 11:14
I've lost two brother-in-laws to motorcycles, oddly enough, both of them named Bill. I've had four bikes myself. My wife says there's no motorcycle in my future. It's hard to argue with her.

nfranco
12-27-09, 18:39
Hey dsmguy7, how are you doing?

Alpha Sierra
12-27-09, 18:41
All I can say is I feel your pain.

BTDT, summer of 1989 between Albany and Rhinebeck NY on route 9W.

I got a courtesy ride back to Albany on an EMS bus.........

motorolahamm
12-27-09, 19:30
WOW man glad to see you are ok , if you need another bike i have 07 yamaha yzf r6 for sale .garage kept like new really like new only 630 miles on it ,just dont have time to ride

dsmguy7
12-28-09, 10:47

WillBrink
12-28-09, 10:58
Prayers/ encouragement needed. :(

Every spring I consider getting a bike, and every time I remember the number of guys I know dead from them. Your story reminds me why I don't. To me, risk to benefit does not add up. There's enough $hit out there trying to kill me, I don't need a chainsaw on wheels to add to it. That's just my choice based on my perceptions, and do understand why people enjoy them. Hope you heal up quick.

nfranco
02-11-10, 15:47
Update?

Ash Hess
02-11-10, 18:34
My thoughts to all this is first, Glad you are ok. That's most important.
then soon as you heal go take a MSF class. It is worth it. If you had just bought a carbine and shot out of the range fans and blown up a car while doing a Magpul BSA, you would have been told to slow down, apply the fundamentals, take a class with a tier 1 instructor. Same with the bike, brother.
Now rather than just give it up and never do it right. Try a class. At the very least it will make you a better Cager and a better LEO.

Thats what were are all after right?

JHC
02-11-10, 20:22
Oh, and I believe that I will be staying on four wheels from now on.

+1. Alway have and always will. I never "rode". But I have a theory and wonder if riders agree. If you learned to ride a motorcycle young, you're generally good to go. If you decide to take it up past the age of 40 for the first time, the prognosis is not good. A veteran motorcycle LEO I met told me that almost all the cyclists they hose off the highway were older guys who got the money and decided to learn to ride. Validated my hunch so I believed it.

Glad to hear you'll heal up fine. Best regards.

xfyrfiter
02-11-10, 22:14
45 years on a bike, been down 3 times, all because of gravel. Why can't the DOT and Hwy depts. take note that 4 wheels aren't the only modes of transport out there. OK off my rant for now, hope you learned something ,and just because you fell off this time and got injured, dont give up on bikes. They are some of the best times I have ever had. Prayers and best wishes, get well soon. By the way some of these posters on this thread are a little harsh IMO.

perna
02-11-10, 22:21
But I have a theory and wonder if riders agree. If you learned to ride a motorcycle young, you're generally good to go.

Nope, I have had some kind of bike since I was little, that doesnt have anything to do with all the hazards out there. I have had plenty of accidents, MOST had nothing to do with rider ability or being an idiot.

dsmguy7
02-12-10, 05:22

El Vaquero
02-13-10, 01:17
Dont feel too bad brother, a co-worker of mine (also an LEO) wrecked on his bike too. Except he wasnt wearing a helmet :eek: He ended up with bumps, bruises, road rash, and had to have surgery for a broken collar bone. Needless to say his wife made him sell the bike.

Bill Bryant
02-13-10, 01:36
Stupid does indeed hurt (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46207) but it can also lead through circumspection to humble wisdom and realistic compassion.

I'm glad I'm not the man I was before I learned the lessons I couldn't learn any other way but by being stupid.

If there's anybody out there reading this who thinks of himself as incapable of stupidity, well, good luck to you.

perna
02-13-10, 06:10
Anyone that ever gets on a bike needs to know "it isnt if you will get into an accident, it is you will and it will hurt". That was told to me when I got my first dirt bike by the guy that worked for my dad, he was also the guy that talked my dad into getting me the bike.

If you ride one expect to get hurt, yes you can ride your entire life and never have one but you will be the minority.

Lee Indy
02-13-10, 09:04
never ever ever ever ride someone elses bike unless you can buy them a new one and not be hurt. i have two and wont let anyone else ride them. nor will i get on someones bike if i cant pay cash for it right then.......... bikes are to easy to **** up.

kjdoski
02-13-10, 10:05
Prayers/ encouragement needed. :(Brother, we've all made bad judgment calls, usually knowing we were doing the wrong thing before we started. Sooner or later, we all get bit by the bear. Luckily you didn't get eaten!

Prayers going out for your speedy and full recovery!

Regards,

Kevin

SkiDevil
02-14-10, 11:04
Well, I have been back to full duty since 02/04/10. I still go to physical therapy twice a week. I still don't have full motion or strength, but it seems to be improving. The tip of my thumb is still numb. I'm making progress; it's just slow. Sorry about no pics yet. I'm on night shift, starting back at my extra job, working mardis gras; and have my wife's b-day, valentine's day, and anniversary this month. :eek:

It is good to hear that you are back up on your feet and doing better.

Take it easy.:D

SkiDevil

arizonaranchman
02-14-10, 12:41
I ride my Harley year around and it's my primary transportation. It's hazardous out there and you can never be too careful. Other drivers are your biggest threat usually and things in the road can get you too. Hope you recover quickly and smoothly.

I've been down twice - both times it was the other vehicle's fault and there was nothing I could do about it. Wear good gear and always be on full alert!

scanda
02-14-10, 14:46
After riding the Autobahn and having a having a near death experience I gave up the bike...at least the fast ones, I would love to have a KLR650.:p