PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing differences between LMT and A2 rear sight

faithmyeyes
11-19-09, 13:54
I'm getting ready to zero my new LMT MRP that came with the rail-mounted fixed LMT sights. The manual is a repro of the M4/M16 manual and references the A2 rear sight with an 800 meter (8/3?) setting - but the LMT rear sight appears to have a 600 meter (6/3) setting instead, and the elevation drum bottoms out at 6/3.

In this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=212406), someone mentioned that he thought elevation clicks on the LMT were half-clicks relative to the A2, and someone else referenced a possibly better way to zero with the LMT sight, but that conversation went to PM and the thread died.

My plan right now is to zero using the RIBZ (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=328143) method. Any advice on how to handle it differently with the LMT sight, or if it's even necessary to do so?

Regards -
Josh

spamsammich
11-19-09, 14:12
My LMT was half clicks compared to A2.

Quentin
11-19-09, 20:27
Yeah it's half clicks so set the elevation knob to bottom out at 6/3 minus 4 clicks (or -6 clicks if you go with the RIBZ). Might want to add the buffer click (go to -5 or -7) too like Molon suggests for RIBZ.

Failure2Stop
11-20-09, 01:16
Yeah it's half clicks so set the elevation knob to bottom out at 6/3 minus 4 clicks (or -6 clicks if you go with the RIBZ). Might want to add the buffer click (go to -5 or -7) too like Molon suggests for RIBZ.

This is the correct way to get an IBZ with the LMT rear or Colt M4/A4 type removable fixed rear.

faithmyeyes
11-20-09, 09:47

In re-reading Molon's write-up I realized I had missed the adjustment to the procedure for the detachable/A4 carry handle rear sight. Which, of course, turns out to look exactly like the LMT. <facepalm>

I made the elevation drum adjustment last night... set it to bottom out at 6/3 -8. Since the fourth click for the A2 is only for buffer space, I probably could have gotten away with only -7, but I was following literally the instruction to double all click counts for the A4/LMT sight.

Got a chance to try it out this morning at 50 yards. Set the elevation knob to 6/3 -4 and, 7 clicks up on the front sight later, was shooting right in the 10-ring. I'm really enjoying shooting this rifle and am looking forward to getting better with it.

Mostly, I've got a much better understanding of these sights now that I've actually played with them some. Thanks to all for your help.

Josh