PDA

View Full Version : 2:1:1 Recovery - Optimum Supplement

Captains1911
11-19-09, 18:49
Does anybody have any experience with this product? I am considering buying some to take immediately after workout, it contains 35g protein, 70g fast carbs, 16g BCAAs, and 23g essential amino acids.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/recovery.html

My current post workout regime is to take a 48g whey protein shake and 2 slices of whole wheat bread with honey, both immediately after workout. About 1.5 to 2 hours later I eat dinner and take a multivitamin. It's not possible for me to eat dinner sooner, and I understand that it's important to eat within an hour of workout.

If I do try the 2:1:1, should I also add a scoop of whey? That would bring the total protein amount to 60g, too much at once? Any better options you'd recommend?

Leonidas
11-21-09, 00:09
To get those amounts you have to use 2 scoops which will only give you 15 servings. I'm not a big fan of the waxy maize as a carb either.

Captains1911
11-21-09, 08:06
To get those amounts you have to use 2 scoops which will only give you 15 servings. I'm not a big fan of the waxy maize as a carb either.

Yeah, I realized that too after I wrote this. I think I may stick with 2 scoops of Optimum Whey and 70 grams of NOW Dextrose Powder, how does that sound?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html

Optimum Whey contains 5.5g of BCAAs and 4g Glutamine per scoop, is that enough considering I'm taking 3-4 scoops per day, or should I add more?

Lastly, rather than taking 2 scoops of whey after workout, would it be better to take 1 scoop before and 1 scoop after (along with the dextrose after)? I currently don't eat much before workout other than a banana or a slice of bread.

WillBrink
11-21-09, 16:35
Any better options you'd recommend?

Don't over think it, and making your own pre and or post workout drink is always most cost effective.

From my blog:

Most people are aware that nutrient timing is as important as nutrient composition. In other words, it’s not just what you eat, but when you eat it that gives optimal results. As the man says, “Timing is everything.” Consuming the right foods at the right time can have positive effects on body composition: which means more muscle and less body fat.

Health-conscious people are told to avoid simple carbohydrates, and for good reasons. It’s not true all the time and in every situation, however. Following a heavy workout, there is a metabolic “window” – so to speak – where the body preferentially shuttles glucose into the liver and muscles to replace lost glycogen via both insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent transport mechanisms. Translated, this means your body will shuttle carbs and protein into the tissues you want (muscle) instead of storing them as fat after a workout.

To carry the analogy further, the metabolic window doesn’t stay open indefinitely, so you need to take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts.

A number of studies have found that a post-workout drink containing simple, high-GI carbs and protein increases protein synthesis dramatically. The two work synergistically to create an anabolic environment that’s superior to either nutrient alone. In addition, some recent work suggests that a pre-workout drink may be superior to a post-workout drink, and consuming both may be best of all!

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/pre-post-workout-nutrition-its-all-in-the-timing/