PDA

View Full Version : 80% Lowers

GADAWG
03-06-07, 14:30
Has anyone here finished they're own lower? How hard is it for someone who has no experiance with that sort of thing?

gwrider
05-01-07, 19:54
i finished an 80% lower fron tanneryshop. The only trouble with these are the front hinge pin and the front trigger guard hole. hinge pin MUST BE EXACTLY CORRECT. and be VERY careful not to break the ears off the trigger guard ears.
I had originally built it for the challengebut my later thought was for a pistol build . Have not ordered any parts yet because i can't make up my mind on barrel length 7.5 or 11.5.
be careful on the top height also ,use a neww flat file to get it exactly right and flat. mine may not be perfect but i think it will work. hasn't been fired yet because of the weird laws that say once a rifle etc.
this is a very easy build if you nave a set of transfer punches and another lower to work with.
Just my opinion but its cheaper by a long shot to just buy a new factory lower.

Hawgleg44
05-05-07, 22:25
I'll be completing one of Justin's AR45 lowers soon, but I have access to a milling machine, too. It can be done with just a drillpress, but it will just take more time.

As for the skill level involved, you need more of an attention to detail than anything else. My friend, who built his AR45 already, did a great job on it and it was only his 2nd milling project. The first was just a stamped AK build.

He got into it so much that the next thing he did was buy a billit of aluminum off ebay, download the blueprints for an AR10 lower, and made his own! He messed up the first one, but the 2nd, although the fine details haven't been completed yet, functions perfectly. Here are a few pics of his projects he completed. Sorry about the low quality pics of the AR10 build. I'll get better ones next time we go to the range.

Here's the AR45 he completed. Excuse the different colored furniture on it. He had to scrounge them off different carbines just to test fire it that day. He didn't want to apply any finish to the lower until it was all test fired. Beautiful job, especially for only his 2nd milling project!
http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/normal_Mike_AR45_2%7E0.jpg

Here's a pic of the AR10 lower he milled. He used a roll pin punch to hold the bolt catch in place for testing, so it would be easier to remove than a roll pin when the finish was applied. He also didn't install the triggerguard yet, and only had an AR15 carry handle to try, so it's shorter. Sorry about the low quality pic. I'll definately get a better one next time. Not bad for his 3rd milling project, huh?
http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/normal_Mike_AR10_1.jpg

TY44934
06-22-07, 14:55
There is a lot of helpful information available to the buliders of 80% (or less) lowers on the following site:

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

It is not terribly difficult if you are good with your hands and you go slow. Don't try to do it to save money - that is NOT the point. If you appreciate DIY projects and like to customize your guns, the 80% route might be right for you.

You do not have to put a serial number on the gun. However, it is recommended that you stamp something on it (most LEO are ignorant of home-bult guns).

You must intend to keep it forever when you build it. When you die, your family/kids can have it. If you, for example, loose all interest in firearms one day in the future, it might be OK to sell it (as long as selling it was NOT your original intent). Have fun.