PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1911 (not Rand).

olds442tyguy
11-20-09, 23:17
It appears Remington is getting in the handgun market with a 1911.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/20/remington-entering-the-handgun-market-big-news/

I heard rumors awhile back but thought Remington was designing a new pistol. I guess if it's quality it's a good thing. You can't have to many quality options.

brushy bill
11-20-09, 23:28
Anyone know if this will be forged/milled type 1911 or chock full of MIM?

DocH
11-21-09, 05:11
Ever since I found out girls don't have weenies,nothing surprises me anymore. The 1911 market is getting just like the AR15 market.Everybody making one. And, not all are equal as we already know. It has ceased to be exciting news anymore. I reckon' I'll just stick to toting a pair of Glock 19's.

ralph
11-21-09, 08:39
I just wonder if they are actually going to make it..or are they going to have it made by someone else and have their name stamped on it...Like their "Remington AR's" which are actually Bushmasters..... And yes, I'd bet money it'll be chock full of MIM parts...

loupav
11-21-09, 09:55
Ever since I found out girls don't have weenies,nothing surprises me anymore. The 1911 market is getting just like the AR15 market.Everybody making one. And, not all are equal as we already know. It has ceased to be exciting news anymore. I reckon' I'll just stick to toting a pair of Glock 19's.

Exactly! How about something new? :rolleyes:

kmrtnsn
11-21-09, 10:53
Oh yeah, another 1911, like the marketplace isn't already oversaturated with them. I think Ralph is on the money, it'll be rebranded iron. unless it is $299.99 I could care less. The only 1911A1 I want is a WWII Remington Rand.

Alpha Sierra
11-21-09, 11:13
Yawn......

Remington = major fudd

olds442tyguy
11-21-09, 12:55
Yawn......

Remington = major fudd
While I'd like to see a new pistol rather than a 1911 clone, I'd hardly call Remington Fudd's anymore. The ACR, the MSR, the M24, the MCS, their purchase of AAC, etcetera.

Hell, if the ACR and MSR turn out as good as they appear and Remington had offered a new modular pistol, they would probably become one of the most dominant military small arms companies around. Throw in a light machine gun and they could probably take the market by storm relatively fast.

John Hearne
11-21-09, 13:54
I was at 870 Armorer school this week and the instructor confirmed this. No details on the pistol itself.

Alpha Sierra
11-21-09, 16:36
While I'd like to see a new pistol rather than a 1911 clone, I'd hardly call Remington Fudd's anymore. The ACR, the MSR, the M24, the MCS, their purchase of AAC, etcetera.

Hell, if the ACR and MSR turn out as good as they appear and Remington had offered a new modular pistol, they would probably become one of the most dominant military small arms companies around. Throw in a light machine gun and they could probably take the market by storm relatively fast.

Since none of them are available to me, yes, they are a fudd company.

olds442tyguy
11-21-09, 19:03
Since none of them are available to me, yes, they are a fudd company.

M24 production is very limited, but with most runs they've put a handful out to their distributors. On top of that, the 40XB is essentially an M24 with out the really exclusive parts and can be had easily. The MCS is readily available, as with AAC suppressors too. The MSR and ACR are not in full production yet, but Remington has said both will be available. Their entire shotgun line is readily available from tons of sources, NFA or not.

Now can we drop the personal vendetta stuff? Remington is a good company looking to expand their horizons substantially, including civilian sales.

Combat_Diver
11-22-09, 04:26
The 40XB is not a M24, as one is a short action and the other a long action.

CD

tkoglman
11-23-09, 04:11
I think it will depend on how Remington is planning on marketing a 1911. I know that their Police shotguns are made on completely different assembly lines using many different parts than the same model shotguns for the civilian market. Maybe they will do the same with their 1911?

I wouldn't buy one if they call it the 1911 Express.

Combat_Diver
11-23-09, 05:13
Remington has built very few pistols for the civilian market, 1858,1875,1890 revolvers, the stack barrel derringer, the 51 Pocket Pistol, M1911A1 and the XP-100. I would love to have a WWII M1911A1 (just better sights, or at least dovetailed sights). I've been issued a few Remington-Rand models in my career as recently as 2006. Better yet would be a Remington-UMC Model of 1911 when Remington help Colt make some 20,000 for the war effort.

CD

the_fallguy
11-23-09, 10:52
I'd put my money on their 1911 being a re-branded pistol from another manufacturer, given that the Remington AR15 is a re-branded Bushmaster. As saturated as the market already is with 1911's, their always seems to be room for more. I guess getting more people to buy pistols isn't a bad thing, if you think about it.

olds442tyguy
11-23-09, 13:26
Thanks for the correction CD. I had always thought the XB was built using the LA receiver, but you're correct. It turns out the 40X line even pre-dates the M24.

I think if Remington builds the 1911 as a Military line product it will be trustworthy. Notice how they don't market the rebranded AR's or Mossberg part containing shotguns in their MIL/LE lines. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Lumpy196
11-23-09, 19:39
Anyone know if this will be forged/milled type 1911 or chock full of MIM?

I'll put money on it having MIM parts.

ToddG
11-24-09, 09:40
This is what I posted on my site a few days ago:

Yet another 1911 on the market. There are two ways to look at it.

First, “1911″ is supposed to be the model name, not the number of companies building versions of it. Building a 1911 is just a lazy way to enter the handgun market. There is little design and testing needed compared to making something new from scratch. Pick a design, build some prototypes, do a little testing to make sure the CNC machines are set right, and start pumping out guns. Sure, you can make it more complicated — SIG, for example, spent a million dollars developing the GSR — but the code has sort of been cracked when it comes to 1911s, folks.

On the other hand, what company currently produces a high-quality, durable, dependable 1911 at a price that can compete with more modern handguns? Nobody. The market is full of low-cost guns that I wouldn’t trust my life to, and high-cost guns (most of which I still wouldn’t trust my life to). So now the makers of such ubiquitous and indestructible low-cost guns as the Rem870 and 700 want to build a 1911. That could be a good thing.

A 1911 with the quality of a Rem870 that sold for around $750 would take the market by storm. Following the 870 plan would make sense, too. Don’t put all the bells and whistles on the gun that most 1911 companies do today. You either get a jacked up price or you have to sacrifice fundamental quality. Let the aftermarket deal with extended-these and tuned-thats. Put out a gun that goes bang every time, over and over again, with FMJ and JHP, for a decent price.

And then send me two along with 50,000 rounds of ammo. :cool: