PDA

View Full Version : DD CHF barrel -feedback

greentips
11-22-09, 10:29
I have only seen a handful of reviews or reports of DD CHF barreled uppers. Any reports of accuracy and reliability?

Thanks

Hang-Fire
11-25-09, 22:04
I installed one of them on a buddy's rifle. It looked ok when it arrived. It installed ok with no issues. I cleaned the bore prior to heading to the range for test firing. As I ran the brush and later patches through the bore, I noticed they seemed to "vibrate" as they were pushed through the bore. I have seen pictures of hammer forged barrels that left concentric rings inside the bore from the hammer forging process. That's what it felt like. It didn't hang up or anything, but it was definitely noticable. The rifle functioned ok and accuracy didn't seem too bad. That's good because I was worried that it would suck.

justin_247
11-26-09, 08:37
I installed one of them on a buddy's rifle. It looked ok when it arrived. It installed ok with no issues. I cleaned the bore prior to heading to the range for test firing. As I ran the brush and later patches through the bore, I noticed they seemed to "vibrate" as they were pushed through the bore. I have seen pictures of hammer forged barrels that left concentric rings inside the bore from the hammer forging process. That's what it felt like. It didn't hang up or anything, but it was definitely noticable. The rifle functioned ok and accuracy didn't seem too bad. That's good because I was worried that it would suck.

I really don't know how to reply to this... why would you think that a hammer forged barrel's accuracy would suck? And what is this about you feeling a "vibration" as you pushed the brush through the bore?

Hammer forging yields an extremely smooth bore with highly accurate dimensions. Practically every major firearm manufacturer in the world has used hammer forged barrels at some time in its history and many precision rifle makers today use hammer forging.

FVC3
11-26-09, 09:44

I'm not sure where you're going with the "vibration" (?!) thing. Nor have I heard of concentric rings in CHF barrels. You realize that CHFing is a highly desirable thing - a process used by manufacturers of some of the finest precision barrels you can buy?
Why would you expect suck-y accuracy, and what accuracy did you achieve? The rifle only functioned "OK"? Not busting your chops - just want to know where you're coming from on this.