PDA

View Full Version : LMT Barrel Questions

Shotdown
11-23-09, 23:27
I have a complete LMT Defender 2000. I bought an AAC M4-1000 suppressor to put on it. However, I took it out to shoot and I noticed that I'm shooting high right with the suppressor on. I went ahead and split the upper and lower so that I can look through the barrel to look at the baffels. It looks like the rounds are kissing up on one side of the baffels (not baffle strikes). It looks like there is a little more wear on one side than the other. So one of my friends told me that LMT barrels are not "concentric" and that I'd have to replace my barrel.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else had issues with LMT barrels and suppressors?

2) What can I do?

3) How much can I get for my LMT barrel with about 1500rds through it?

spamsammich
11-23-09, 23:33
POI shift with a suppressor on is not uncommon. The MITRE system that AAC uses on the SPR/M4 is meant to combat this issue. Stop listening to that friend. As for the near baffle strikes, are you sure your mount is installed correctly?

Also, what ammo are you dealing with?

Shotdown
11-24-09, 00:14
POI shift with a suppressor on is not uncommon. The MITRE system that AAC uses on the SPR/M4 is meant to combat this issue. Stop listening to that friend. As for the near baffle strikes, are you sure your mount is installed correctly?

Also, what ammo are you dealing with?

As far as I can tell, yes the mount is installed correctly. I made sure that my POI didn't change when I removed the AAC Blackout (non-mount) and installed the 18 tooth mount. I cleaned the hell out of the threads too. I shot a combination of Federal 50 gr hollow point and Federal 55gr FMJ (Wally ammo).

JasonM
12-03-09, 12:43
All suppressors will introduce POI shift, mainly from adding weight to the end of a barrel.

No such thing as a baffle "kiss", either the bullets touch the baffles or they don't... What amount of shift are you getting (at what distance)? if you are getting strikes, you'll see a lot of shift in addition to probable keyholes.

if you do the look through test, you should be able to tell easily if the bore is obstructed. You could try dropping an appropriately sized rod down the bore.

glockshooter
12-03-09, 20:50
Lmt barrels are top of the line. If you are having POI issues you are going to have to choose which setup is going to be your primary. I would choose the config you plan on shooting the most and zero that. Once you have your zero shoot it in the other config and figure out what your holds are going to be. I have the same upper you have and I have a YHM phantom can but I have little to no shift.

Matt

Shotdown
12-03-09, 23:17
All suppressors will introduce POI shift, mainly from adding weight to the end of a barrel.

No such thing as a baffle "kiss", either the bullets touch the baffles or they don't... What amount of shift are you getting (at what distance)? if you are getting strikes, you'll see a lot of shift in addition to probable keyholes.

if you do the look through test, you should be able to tell easily if the bore is obstructed. You could try dropping an appropriately sized rod down the bore.
Good to know. I'll try putting a rod thorugh a check.

Lmt barrels are top of the line. If you are having POI issues you are going to have to choose which setup is going to be your primary. I would choose the config you plan on shooting the most and zero that. Once you have your zero shoot it in the other config and figure out what your holds are going to be. I have the same upper you have and I have a YHM phantom can but I have little to no shift.

Matt

I going to try it out again, take pictures and go from there. Thanks guys.