PDA

View Full Version : 3-gun questions

jwfuhrman
11-24-09, 08:42
Give you a little background first. Ive been shooting NRA/CMP matches since 2001 when I was still in High School as our HS had a Small Bore and a High Power team. I shot at numerous CMP matches at the local CMP range during those years, and at Camp Perry 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. I havnt shot a match since, as I picked up other hobbies during the recent years. Im coming back to the competition shooting scene and am just looking for a little info.

My first question:

3 gun sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. But what should a rookie "3-gunner" compete in first? Limited or Tactical? I have a SPR that I could throw the Side Irons on and use for Tactical, and I could always use my A2 Bushy that I shot CMP/NRA with for Limited(that Bushy is the same as it was right out of the box, no changes)

2nd question:

Where can I find matches that are relatively close(2-3hour drive max) to North East Indiana (Fort Wayne area)

Robb Jensen
11-24-09, 09:19
I'd recommend shooting in either Limited or Tactical. If you already have a red dot or low powered scope by all means shoot in Tactical.

To find out about matches in your area and around the U.S. check out the Multi-gun section of the Brian Enos forums at http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

jwfuhrman
11-24-09, 09:27
thanks alot!

Cold
11-25-09, 23:45
If you opt for "tactical" aka Tac Optics, I would SKIP the side irons.

If you have more questions, fire away!

jwfuhrman
11-30-09, 09:05
reason I was wondering about side irons is because the gun Im wanting to use for Tactical is also my "SPR" build. Ive got a 3-9x40 Burris scope on it and Id rather not replace it with a 1-4 optic as I use this gun for more than just 3 gun. Just curious about running the JP side irons on it so I can use it for both.

Robb Jensen
11-30-09, 09:34
reason I was wondering about side irons is because the gun Im wanting to use for Tactical is also my "SPR" build. Ive got a 3-9x40 Burris scope on it and Id rather not replace it with a 1-4 optic as I use this gun for more than just 3 gun. Just curious about running the JP side irons on it so I can use it for both.

At a lot of matches you'll find that the 3-9x will be slower than a lower powered scope. Since going to a true 1-4x Burris I've since removed the close range irons on my Tactical 3gun rifle. I moved them over to my Limited rifle because that rifle will soon have NM iron sights which are also very slow up close.

Ideally you could buy a 1-4x scope use a good mount like a Bobro, ADM or LaRue and use a mount like this on your SPR with the 3-9x. Sight in both and you shouldn't lose zero switching between the two.

jwfuhrman
11-30-09, 13:23
hummmm...... now thats an interesting thought. Ill look into that more.