PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75B "Omega" ???

blackscot
11-24-09, 11:32
Web surfing just now led me to discover that CZ's widely known 75B now comes in something called an "Omega" version, which among other attributes features an upswept, beaver-tail type grip tang. The original, slightly downward projecting tang design was my single greatest criticism of the CZ75B, because of how it would dig into the web of the strong hand when using an IPSC-style high-thumbs hold.

A beaver-tail tang on the CZ75B has been long awaited and is greatly welcomed by me, and has me seriously considering a purchase. There is, however, absolutely no mention of the "Omega" version of the gun on CZ's web site. I have only found various range-review write-ups and dealer ads.

Does anyone else own a CZ75B Omega, or know anything more about it?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/cz/omega.jpg

11-24-09, 12:34
Sir,
I agree, I like that frame! It also has the extended/reversible mag release. It seems to share the frame of the 75B SA [single action] What I remember is that it has a simplified lockwork, but I don't know anything else. Check at the cz forum.

Alpha Sierra
11-24-09, 21:09
All I know about it is that the Omega FC system comes with the parts to turn it from an external safety to a decocker by the owner.

j-hon
11-25-09, 11:47
Largely kinda junk IMO.

While "simpler", I've yet to see an Omega with a trigger turn out like my regular '75's, even with judicious work. Also, I hear more people complaining about those guns (and the P07's, which also use the Omega trigger) more than any other CZ gun probably.

Personally, I'd buy a '75SA. It's the best of the breed IMO. If you want a DA/SA, you can convert it over to being so (like I have).

maximus83
11-25-09, 12:05
Agree with J-hon, I wouldn't mess with the Omega trigger, yet. They need to work the bugs out of it first. The existing CZ trigger may be more "complex" than current trigger system like the Glock, but only in the sense that it has more parts. The CZ trigger is an incredibly reliable, proven system that has been running far longer than most of its competitors, and with gunsmith work, a CZ 75-family trigger can approach a 1911 trigger in terms of a crisp, light, smooth SA pull (although it will always be a LONGER trigger pull).

Also, given that the OP is interested in the recontoured beavertail, J-hon's suggestion of the 75 SA model is a good one, because that model already has the new beavertail. Also, you might check out some of the other, newer models in the 75 family, all of which have the new beavertail:

* SP01
* SP01 tactical
* SP01 Shadow
* SP01 Phantom

If you want a great CZ trigger, my suggestion is either have Matt Mink, Jim Miossi (of Miossi Gun works), or Mike EagleShield (Mike is gunsmith at the CZ USA office in Kansas City) work on your trigger. Or, a really convenient way to get it done without paying extra for shipping is, you can buy a CZ from Ghostholster.com, and have Angus Hobdell do trigger work on the pistol there before they ship it to you. I've had them do two different triggers on new pistols, and have been extremely satisfied. The other guys I listed do awesome trigger/action work as well, but you'll have to pay shipping to and from.

j-hon
11-25-09, 14:06
Agree with J-hon, I wouldn't mess with the Omega trigger, yet. They need to work the bugs out of it first. The existing CZ trigger may be more "complex" than current trigger system like the Glock, but only in the sense that it has more parts. The CZ trigger is an incredibly reliable, proven system that has been running far longer than most of its competitors, and with gunsmith work, a CZ 75-family trigger can approach a 1911 trigger in terms of a crisp, light, smooth SA pull (although it will always be a LONGER trigger pull).

Also, given that the OP is interested in the recontoured beavertail, J-hon's suggestion of the 75 SA model is a good one, because that model already has the new beavertail. Also, you might check out some of the other, newer models in the 75 family, all of which have the new beavertail:

* SP01
* SP01 tactical
* SP01 Shadow
* SP01 Phantom

If you want a great CZ trigger, my suggestion is either have Matt Mink, Jim Miossi (of Miossi Gun works), or Mike EagleShield (Mike is gunsmith at the CZ USA office in Kansas City) work on your trigger. Or, a really convenient way to get it done without paying extra for shipping is, you can buy a CZ from Ghostholster.com, and have Angus Hobdell do trigger work on the pistol there before they ship it to you. I've had them do two different triggers on new pistols, and have been extremely satisfied. The other guys I listed do awesome trigger/action work as well, but you'll have to pay shipping to and from.

This guy brought up some other good options. No doubt, the new-style frame (upswept beavertail) is the hot-shit. I've actually sold all my old style frames with the exception of one, and swapped them with new style stuff.

If you are an IPSC guy, I'm sure you've probably noticed the SP-01 variants running around. They are excellent pistols, though I myself still prefer the litheness of the SA style platform. They also have the updated frame/controls. To add to the updated frame list, there have been several runs of the 75B stainless done with the updated frame as well (though not all of them are like that).

In short, stay away from the Omega stuff. The old '75B platform works, and works well. Why CZ keeps moving away from it is beyond a lot of people. Personally, I'd recommend a 75SA, tuned by whomever of your choice (would also subtract Miossi from the above list due to ridiculous backlog, and substitute Apex Tactical), or do the work yourself if you are even reasonably handy. Just don't leave it stock, as the difference between the two is like the Grand Canyon.

blackscot
11-27-09, 07:44
Thanks for the replies. I found quite a bit of info here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=37&t=86170&page=1&#854671

Looks like the new trigger system is a possible can-o-worms. I never had any problem with the trigger on the two original 75B's that I previously owned, and was even able to improve the second one myself by installing a Miossi sear to reduce creep.

My attraction to the Omega was solely regarding the upswept beavertail. Evidently, the latest 75B in matte stainless incorporates the upswept beavertail, plus an ambi safety, extended magazine catch and drop-free "brake", all with the original 75B trigger. I saw one in my local store being offered as used for $530, but had a fairly hideous scratch on one side of the frame. The main turn-off for me though was it being in a very pimped-out high polish finish. Were it in matte I would have jumped on it.

The grip felt just wonderful though, so I am going to keep looking around at my local stores and shows. A new matte stainless would seem to be the right choice.

dwhitehorne
11-27-09, 15:31
I saw a polished stainless one at VA arms earlier this week if you want to make a road trip to Manassas. I don't remember the price. David

blackscot
11-30-09, 08:10
I saw a polished stainless one at VA arms earlier this week if you want to make a road trip to Manassas. I don't remember the price. David

Thanks for the tip. Richmond Showplace has a gun show this weekend. I'm gonna see if anyone there has the matte stainless.

blackscot
12-07-09, 06:35
UPDATE -- no matte stainless at the show, but I did instead get a good deal on a CZ75B SA. Shall post pics, range report, etc. on a new thread hopefully tomorrow.