PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any Parachute Riggers Here?

11Bravo
11-24-09, 19:11
yeah, I know, WAY off topic for a gun forum but figure that there is actually a pretty good chance someone here can help me out

Any parachute riggers here that have a sewing machine and might be willing to sew a parachute for me?
Here's the deal-
I fly amateur high power rockets and would like to have a "soccer ball" parachute made.
You know, pattern of pentagons and hexagons to make half a soccer ball.
Sew in a small Kevlar chord around the lower perimeter for strength.
There is a fairly large amount of sewing involved in this project.
If I do say so myself, I do a pretty fair job of sewing denim and heavier cloths but that lightweight ripstop nylon I cannot get the tension set right and it just doesn't work for me.
I don't remember for sure but I think the diameter of the chute would be about 6 feet.
I have the patterns for cutting and hem/seam allowance, will get the Kevlar and nylon, and whatever else.

In the attached, the gaps would need to be closed as well as around the center pentagon.
If the edges of the shapes are 18", just a single pass on each of the edges would be 22.5 feet and that doesn't include hems and other "stuff".

Thinking maybe of having the center pentagon attached at only the points and having the seams along be loose to act as spill holes.
Maybe not.

Please PM or e-mail me if you can help me out.
Or just post here.

Thanks much and have a great Thanksgiving,

Greg

sinister
11-24-09, 20:24
11Bravo, I'm a Rigger and I have a couple straight-stitch machines.

PM me.