PDA

View Full Version : Clean burning powders for use in suppressed pistols

Kevin
11-24-09, 23:43
Did a search didn't find anything.

Looking for recommendations for a clean burning powder to use with suppressed 230 grain 45's and 147 grain 9mm's.

I have many years of experience reloading but zero reloading experience when it comes to this.

Thanks,
Kevin

chadbag
11-25-09, 00:53
Did a search didn't find anything.

Looking for recommendations for a clean burning powder to use with suppressed 230 grain 45's and 147 grain 9mm's.

I have many years of experience reloading but zero reloading experience when it comes to this.

Thanks,
Kevin

I cannot recommend a powder since I have not loaded subsonic stuff purposefully. However a few notes. VV powders (Vihta Vuori) have a reputation for being clean burning. You also want a powder that reaches full pressure for the load as they tend to burn more completely hence cleaner.

SMJayman
11-29-09, 20:23
For .45acp, Hodgdon Clays will likely fit the bill. That powder is too fast for your 9mm/147gr combo though. Consider a top load of Hodgdon Titegroup for that application.

I've run a 147gr slug with 3.6gr of Titegroup through a suppressor, and it was STUPID quiet. Bullet stays under 1000fps, so no sonic cracks...

Kevin
11-29-09, 21:00
Thanks to both of you, will be experimenting soon........