PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever worn out a lower?

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-09, 17:16
I was wondering if anyone has seen a quality lower that was slap worn out?

Robb Jensen
11-26-09, 17:25

I've seen a few with elongated hammer/trigger pin holes on 9mms. This did require a new lower.
The military has gauges for measuring these holes, I don't know if this is something still looked at on high round count weapons or not.
Most of the time I see people replacing lowers because they've broken off one of the ears near the trigger guard other damage like cross threading the grip screw threads or receiver extension threads.

geminidglocker
11-26-09, 17:37
I'm certain a good machinest could oversize drill out the elongated holes, then "Press-fit" steel bushings into the holes. By Press fit, I mean tolerances so tight that the bushings would almost certaintly never move. Sure it might cost something, but I just hate the thought of guns beyond repair. I have other ideas on how to save a receiver too. I'm just thinking outloud so don't bother flamin'. Or maybe an "Oversize" pins, hammer ,trigger kit? I cried(not really but I did feel like crying) when we had to destroy captured weapons in Ar Ramadi, I think I would cry if I saw someone throw away a lower too.
P.S. If anyone wants to give me their Broken trigger gaurd lowers I'll take em'.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-09, 20:35
That's what I was thinkng. I have a NFA lower and I was wondering about LNG term wear.

Thomas M-4
11-26-09, 20:39
That's what I was thinkng. I have a NFA lower and I was wondering about LNG term wear.

M-60 joe does that kind of work if your interested in it.
http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/pivotpinbushings.htm
I should add I have never had to use any of his services.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-09, 20:52
So, it looks like an ar can last forever unless you crush it. Good to know.

SWATcop556
11-26-09, 22:18
Like Robb I've only seen the FCG wear long on the 9mm but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

One of our guys thinks he cross-threaded his grip screw. Is there a fix for this because I didn't know of any? His problem is it's an NFA registered SBR. :(

I've also seen one DPMS lower that had the magwell deform after being dropped on concrete but I'm not sure any other make would have survived either.

Robb Jensen
11-26-09, 22:22
One of our guys thinks he cross-threaded his grip screw. Is there a fix for this because I didn't know of any? His problem is it's an NFA registered SBR. :(

You can probably drill it out and use a HeliCoil.
http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Iraqgunz
11-26-09, 22:30
When I have seen beat up lowers it's usually due to incorrect assembly disassembly and people pounding in pins.

Robb Jensen
11-26-09, 22:33
When I have seen beat up lowers it's usually due to incorrect assembly disassembly and people pounding in pins.

I've too seen this a couple times broken at the rear takedown pin from pounding on stiff fitting upper to lower fit. It breaks on the side where the takedown detent lives.

SWATcop556
11-27-09, 00:07
You can probably drill it out and use a HeliCoil.
http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Thanks. I'll give that a look. We are not positive he cross-threaded it but he installed a MOE grip and he said it was really tight and he had to crank on the screwdriver to get it to secure. He also said he used a "decent" amount of blue locktite, whatever that means.

Stickman
11-27-09, 01:45

A few military ones had pin holes that were super loose, but they had seen a lot of service.

welchtactical
11-27-09, 02:41
I had an Army issue M16A1-2 lower. It was a A1 auto lower, then they had milled out the AUTO stamp and restamped BURST in the milled out area and put in the 3 round burst trigger group. TOTALLY worn out! They took it out of service after I had to qual. with it. Zero finish left, nice and white. Side to side sloop was horrible. Sometimes fired when trigger was let out to reset, just tore to shit. But that was a Army lower, probably Vietnam time frame.

Frens
11-27-09, 05:19
real Colt 613 are available here in Italy (converted to semiauto only :rolleyes:)
most of them have cracked HGs and the finish is gone....but the trigger pins still stay in place after a lot of abuse with Malaysian Army
;)

30 cal slut
11-27-09, 06:15
Most of the time I see people replacing lowers because they've broken off one of the ears near the trigger guard ...

That actually happened to me not too long ago. I was trying to upgrade a trigger guard on an older "pre-ban" lower. Broke an ear off (didn't help that the lower was made of pot-metal, but it was a pre-ban).

I managed to get it fixed by a competent welder for $150. It was worth it because I paid $150 for that lower, and the cost to replace it would be around $1,200.

Col_Crocs
11-27-09, 06:51
I personally think it would take some amount of use to wear down your pinholes.
I have a prop marked M16A1 lower which Im sure has seen it's share of service and the pinholes are just as good as my newer lowers. No egging out, what so ever. but at the same time have seen newer lowers that were totally egged out. --a particular lower, owned by a friend, had not undergone any dis-assembly after first assembly. Could spring tension have anything to do with it egging out?

Robb Jensen
11-27-09, 08:49
Thanks. I'll give that a look. We are not positive he cross-threaded it but he installed a MOE grip and he said it was really tight and he had to crank on the screwdriver to get it to secure. He also said he used a "decent" amount of blue locktite, whatever that means.

He probably didn't cross thread it. Magpul uses too much sleeving agent on their this sometimes chews up the screw head because the screw driver keeps slipping off. I use a steel wire brush to remove the factory stuff from the screw and then apply a small amount of blue Loc-Tite.