PDA

View Full Version : Assembling a Lower Receiver?

Snake
11-26-09, 22:49
I have a LMT receiver with the buffer and Magpuls MS2 mount plate already on and I just recieved the stock and LPK and I was wondering on who you guys think I should send the parts to too have them assembled:

G&R Tactical
ADCO firearms

Iraqgunz
11-26-09, 22:53
Do it yourself. It is fairly easy and there is MUCHO info out there as to how it is done.

I have a LMT receiver with the buffer and Magpuls MS2 mount plate already on and I just recieved the stock and LPK and I was wondering on who you guys think I should send the parts to too have them assembled:

G&R Tactical
ADCO firearms

chadbag
11-26-09, 22:55

G&R Tactical
ADCO firearms

as IG said, do it yourself. Invest in a rollpin starter punch and a rollpin punch of the size for normal AR roll pins (or a complete set of each -- not expensive). It is not hard to do. Find a credible online HOW TO.

You will know how your gun is put together which can be invaluable information to have later and it is fun.

Mark71
11-27-09, 00:29
Like the above posters have said it is very easy to do by yourself. Check out this instructional video to help you....

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-build-a-stripped-ar-15-rifle-lower-assembly-255593/

Here is a direct link that you can download and save.....

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

geminidglocker
11-27-09, 01:02
Yup, I built mine using the instructional videos. You'll take more pride in doing it yourself, and learn something in the process.

Belmont31R
11-27-09, 02:06
Its very easy to do. Just watch those ears on the lower when putting the trigger guard roll pin in.

freakshow10mm
11-27-09, 09:18
Pin set
Mallet or hammer (I use the midget size one that's like 6 inches long)
Vise grips (squeeze the bolt catch and trigger guard in place; much easier)

That's it. $25 in tools. First time took me about 40 minutes. Now I assemble them in 10-12 minutes. Do enough of them you get good at it.

C4IGrant
11-27-09, 09:33

G&R Tactical
ADCO firearms

ADCO!

C4

Legion_Prime
11-27-09, 10:52
LPK's are not difficult to install, along with the other links posted Midway has a pretty good one I used to assemble my first lower. It can all be done with a pair of pliers, but a roll pin kit is easier, not too expensive and you run less of a chance of boogering up your lower. Just be careful to get the trigger and hammer springs in correctly, it's not hard to put them in incorrectly. It took me about a half hour to do my first one and have had no problems with it whatsoever. When it comes time to replace your springs or if a popped primer or something gets stuck in the trigger group you will already be familiar with the trigger group and can clear it yourself. Good luck

lanceriley
11-27-09, 11:15
the 1st time I installed an LPK I just used an old 1911 firing pin as a tool!

aggopian
11-27-09, 13:01
Lower assembly is very easy.
Just make sure everything is lined up right, double and triple check especially on the trigger guard roll pin, rear break down pin spring (it can bend over easily) and bolt catch pin. I use a pair of pliers with duct tape to stop scratches. The pins should slide in evenly if they stop dead part way in its usually misaligned and if you hammer on it you can break an ear off the receiver.

Good Luck!!:D

Snake
11-28-09, 23:52
Thanks, guys!! I'm gonna go order the tools and give it a shot.

Snake
11-29-09, 00:02
Pin set
Mallet or hammer (I use the midget size one that's like 6 inches long)
Vise grips (squeeze the bolt catch and trigger guard in place; much easier)

That's it. $25 in tools. First time took me about 40 minutes. Now I assemble them in 10-12 minutes. Do enough of them you get good at it.

do you have a link for the vise grips?

Quiet-Matt
11-29-09, 07:35
I prefer this style for small applications. You can get vise-grips at walmart, lowes, home depot, sears, etc......
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/large/12lc_lg.jpg

Zhurdan
11-29-09, 14:30
Someone else mentioned duct tape. I used masking tape, double layered to avoid the sticky mess that duct tape leaves. It was well worth it to protect the lower as the tape was a bit chewed up after my monkey hands got done with the small brass hammer and punch. It was pretty damn easy overall and like has been mentioned, it'll teach you quite a bit about your rifle. Good luck!

sdacbob
11-29-09, 14:47
AND shipping to ADCO or G&R will be a bitch since its considered a weapon.

jkingrph
11-29-09, 16:30
I just finished my first about a month ago, with a piston upper. My suggestion would be to get a set of roll pin punches, they make it much easier. Then go very slow and be careful not to let a punch or pin slip and mar anything up.

I just showed my rifle off, my Brother in law hinted about me building him one, and a friend could not believe how much better it looked than the S&W he purchased last year.

Legion_Prime
12-01-09, 12:41
Someone else mentioned duct tape. I used masking tape, double layered to avoid the sticky mess that duct tape leaves. It was well worth it to protect the lower as the tape was a bit chewed up after my monkey hands got done with the small brass hammer and punch. It was pretty damn easy overall and like has been mentioned, it'll teach you quite a bit about your rifle. Good luck!

Personally I wrap the jaws in electrical tape. It's a bit on the thick side and I replace it after each pin as they do chew it up but for me it's pretty much free as I still have tons of it laying around from the police conversion job I worked 10 years ago. :D

Quentin
12-01-09, 13:51
Good advice above, you'll do fine with your lower.

I built up my first lower receiver (S&W M&P-15) a couple months ago with no problems. I had a friend who said he'd help but I wanted to do it myself. It's not hard for anyone who is careful and pays attention to instruction. And I didn't need any extra tools, just common things many people would have. Brownells has good videos and PDFs on AR assembly so check them out. Their PDFs of the videos are nice since you can have something printed out and right there as you work. They push their own tools but I didn't need them for one build. But would be handy to have if you were doing many builds.

A few tips that helped me: carefully turn drill bits by hand in the lowers holes to make sure no flash is present; put a drop of oil in the holes and on the pins; use the shank end of the drill bits to help guide trigger, hammer and pivot pins (push out the drill bit with the pin); get a transparant plastic bag to contain the pivot pin detent and spring when installing the pivot pin (so you don't lose the detent when it goes flying across the room on your first attempt to install); use vise grips with electrical tape around the jaws to install roll pins instead of hammering them in.

My AR turned out great and I'm pleased I had a hand in its assembly. One thing you might see are claims that people put their first receiver together in 15 minutes. Don't worry about how fast someone else does it, take as long as you need. It took me about 90 minutes (including the buttstock) to have a fully functioning lower receiver. I took my time and thought out things that puzzled me at first, reviewed the videos, etc. until I understood the next step. Maybe I'm slow but there were no mistakes and no idiot marks!

chadbag
12-01-09, 13:58
Don't use vice grips to install roll pins.

Use roll pin starter punches to start and roll pin punches to insert once started.

It is the easiest and most foolproof way to do it and least likely to mar your finish.

Don't use regular punches.

Also, I find a piece of paperboard like from a cereal box works great to protect the receiver when tapping punches. Just lay it between the pin and the receiver or next to the pin depending on which pin.

But use the right punches.

Quentin
12-02-09, 00:07
No doubt it's great to have the right tools but vise grips work well and there's little chance of damaging the lower if you're careful. I would go that route again if building one lower, after all there are only two roll pins to install (and just one if you get a 3rd party trigger guard). If building many lowers, then the added expense of the roll pin holders and punches would make sense.

freakshow10mm
12-02-09, 08:56
do you have a link for the vise grips?
Just standard vise grips. Nothing fancy. Go to your hardware store and buy one.

till44
12-03-09, 18:04
As far as installing roll pins, I have always used a small vise. Here's a few ideas:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350093440199&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVI7&GUID=4d95658a1250a0b586f4c424fff43929&itemid=350093440199&ff4=263602_263622

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools/h_d1/N-5yc1vZas71Z66xgp/R-202017816/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I've used a small hand held vise and a bench vise in the past, just tape up the receiver and jaws of the vise. Pushes the roll pin in nice and easy with no problems of it mushrooming or you marring the finish.

Quentin
12-03-09, 22:00
I guess vise grips qualify as a small hand vise!

Anyway, there's more than one way to skin up your cat. :p

Snake
12-04-09, 13:16
hey guys,

I tried installing the Magpul non-folding trigger guard onto my Noveske lower and the holes aren't lining up. I could use some help and info on how to install the trigger guard.

C4IGrant
12-04-09, 13:28
hey guys,

I tried installing the Magpul non-folding trigger guard onto my Noveske lower and the holes aren't lining up. I could use some help and info on how to install the trigger guard.

Try installing the set screw end first and then the poll pin.

If that does not work, use the Magpul MOE TG (as you can bend it a little to fit).

C4