PDA

View Full Version : FFL For Uppers or Lowers???

Razorhunter
03-07-07, 22:29
Guys,
I got a basic AR question.

As a firearms accessories dealer (many of which are popping up all over the U.S. these days), if you do NOT have an FFL, then WHICH part of an AR15 may you sell?
WHICH part of the AR (upper or lower), must you have an FFL in order to sell?
I mean, am I correct, that only ONE half of the AR platform, is actually considered to be a firearm???

Also, as a buyer, do I have to forego a background check for uppers, lowers, or both when making purchases???

I am assuming that LOWERS are the receivers that require FFL, because I always see people saying to stock up on lowers, before the next AWB hits..

Thanks for the help guys..

grinch
03-07-07, 22:34
just the lower is the firearms

as far as back ground check it is just like buying any other gun so it depends alot on your state requirement

it never hurts to stock up;)

Code3Patriot
03-07-07, 23:28
I buy lowers like a dope fiend buys crack on sale. :D

JaxCatm
03-07-07, 23:33
Lowers have the serial number on them and require a FFL to sell or buy. Short barrels and items of that nature can be sold to anyone. It is the end user or builders responsibility to get the proper paper work in order to posses a short barreled weapon. Some states do have extra requirement as to what is legal and illegal.

Razorhunter
03-08-07, 06:31
Yeah, I know all about SBR's, and the requirements to own one.
I'm just trying to figure out if I buy an upper, will it be automatically shipped to me, or is there a background check or what???
Sounds like it's just a background check for the lowers, and not the uppers???

Keep in mind, I'm NOT talking about SBR's, or anything like that.. Only regular 16" or longer uppers....

TOrrock
03-08-07, 06:37
....no background check for an upper.

NICS check on a lower.