PDA

View Full Version : Which shot timer?

welchtactical
11-27-09, 03:31
I'm looking to get a shot timer. I've been looking at the CED 7000 and the PACT Club Timer III. I want a loud buzzer, and something that is going to hold up. I have heard plus and minus on each, more on one model than the other. Anyone have either? Is there something else out there better? Thanks

crossgun
11-27-09, 04:27
I have both the CED 7000 and the Pact MKIV. Have ran the Club Timmer at the range as well. I prefer the CED beacause of its size and it tells me everything I want to know. Its also very easy to use by yourself do to its size. The 7000 is always in my range bag.

ToddG
11-27-09, 09:14
I am a fan of the 7000, but as F2S pointed out, it has a rather complicated manual of arms. Once you get the hang of it there's no problem, but setting things like delay time, par time, etc. take a few more button presses than on bigger timers. The 7000 operating system is all menu driven.

Mine have turned in great battery life, but I keep two in my bag just in case... along with the AAA adapter that F2S mentioned.

Crossgun points out another benefit of the 7000. It's so small and light, it's easy to keep with you whenever you're on the range. For me, following "two is one and one is none," I need to keep a pair in the range bag whenever I teach. Two CED7000's take up less space than a box of ammo.

welchtactical
11-27-09, 09:35
Awesome, thanks guys. Thats the direction I has heading, going with the 7000. I'll make sure to read the TM before I head out to the range ;). Are they sensitive enough to hear the sound of a slide closing as a shot if timing just dry fire reloads? Thanks for the replies.

LOKNLOD
11-27-09, 09:51
I ended up deciding on the CED8000. The one that looks like an old gameboy advance or whatever with the flip-up screen. It's quite a bit bigger than the 7000 but the nice thing is that I can clip it on and flip open the screen and use it more or less hands free, since I can read the big screen easily without taking it off my belt.

Cold
11-28-09, 12:41
I use the CED 7000

This one here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=759103

I like it, its small and great for practice indoor (Dry firing) and out door. Lots of features, but takes a bit of reading to figure them all out.

I keep it in my range bag too incase a timer goes down at a match.

CharlieMike
11-28-09, 20:46
I just picked up the CED 7000 Tactical last week. It is my first shot timer and I really can't compare it with any other.

So far, however, it has worked great and I'm happy with it. It didn't seem too difficult to learn to use it. I purchased a hinged belt clip that allows me to look at the screen when shooting.

glocktogo
11-29-09, 02:19
Awesome, thanks guys. Thats the direction I has heading, going with the 7000. I'll make sure to read the TM before I head out to the range ;). Are they sensitive enough to hear the sound of a slide closing as a shot if timing just dry fire reloads? Thanks for the replies.

There are sensitivity settings from 1-8. If you have it on 7 or 8, it can pick up a slide closing. Setting # 8 will allow you to time suppressed firearms if you keep it close enough to the gun for the last shot.

Another really neat feature is the string memory (holds the last 10 strings). If you forget to record a time, you can count back to that string and it's still there. It's tough to get the first few times you do it, but it can really save your butt in a match if you have it.

KellyTTE
11-29-09, 04:57
I have a 7000 as well. MSG Paul Howe has 2 and says they've lasted longer than any of his previous shot timers (and they get used daily). Mine has been great for me.

welchtactical
11-29-09, 09:13
Where would be a good place to pick the 7000 up? Has anyone had any problems with the buttons. The only complaint I've really hear about the CED is the buttons are "kind of cheap" as I've hear a few people say. Ive been wanting to get a shot timer for a while, that way I can do a little more on the range by myself, and know exactly what Im really doing.

GLOCKMASTER
11-29-09, 09:21
Where would be a good place to pick the 7000 up? Has anyone had any problems with the buttons. The only complaint I've really hear about the CED is the buttons are "kind of cheap" as I've hear a few people say. Ive been wanting to get a shot timer for a while, that way I can do a little more on the range by myself, and know exactly what Im really doing.

Since you are from NC here is a NC based mail order business that is a great company to deal with OP Tactical (http://www.optactical.com/ced70tashti.html)

Speed Shooters Specialties (http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/displayitem.php?rowid=427&type=7000 Timer)

Midway was mentioned a few posts up.

torrpd
12-13-09, 15:05
I like the 7000, its small, light weight and simple to use.

M4Fundi
12-14-09, 10:31
I'm getting the CED 8000

iFightCrime
12-29-09, 17:14
I do not own an I-phone but several co-workers have downloaded the Surefire shot timer application. The app is free and appears to work pretty good.

I use a Pact timer (MK-IV xp) for training at work, but that at times seem too complicated.

Stay Sharp
Stay Safe

Hojutsu
12-31-09, 07:55
I use the Speed Timer 3000.

http://www.ruready.com/shotimer07.htm

It's not sexy, but it's simple and just plain works. I've had mine and used it at least weekly for about fifteen years. Whenever the fancy timers crap out, I go get mine :D

mike benedict
01-01-10, 08:18
I like the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro the best
and Brownells has them on sale

cschwanz
01-05-10, 17:40
a friend of mine downloaded the SurefirE app for his Iphone and seems to like it. I personally am waiting on my CED7000 to arrive :

ToddG
03-17-10, 12:37
Rather than start a whole new thread...

Though I've been using them for the past couple of years, I can no longer recommend the CED 7000. I've had three fail in the past year. CED (or rather the shop that sold it to me, Speed Shooter Specialties) replaced the first one under warranty when it died completely.

One of the buttons on the replacement has now locked in place, making it unusable. The timer can still be operated (benefit of having redundant switches), but it's more complicated especially if I want to hand the timer to a student.

The other timer, which I purchased at the same time the original was replaced, just went whacky this past weekend. I'm going to try resetting it and recharging it.

I'd mentioned in previous threads that various .mil and LE folks I've worked with have reported durability issues with the 7000, but until recently I thought I was lucky. Also recently, I learned that CED no longer has a lifetime warranty on the 7000 but instead quietly switched to a 1-year warranty. That's a clue.

Next up, I'm going to try the Pocket Pro II (http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/pocket_pro_II.html). It loses the great size advantage of the 7000 but has most of the same functionality, including a lot of improvements over the old Pocket Pro. How it survives a year of traveling back and forth across the country remains to be seen...

David Thomas
03-17-10, 12:48
Rather than start a whole new thread...

Though I've been using them for the past couple of years, I can no longer recommend the CED 7000. I've had three fail in the past year. CED (or rather the shop that sold it to me, Speed Shooter Specialties) replaced the first one under warranty when it died completely.

One of the buttons on the replacement has now locked in place, making it unusable. The timer can still be operated (benefit of having redundant switches), but it's more complicated especially if I want to hand the timer to a student.

The other timer, which I purchased at the same time the original was replaced, just went whacky this past weekend. I'm going to try resetting it and recharging it.

I'd mentioned in previous threads that various .mil and LE folks I've worked with have reported durability issues with the 7000, but until recently I thought I was lucky. Also recently, I learned that CED no longer has a lifetime warranty on the 7000 but instead quietly switched to a 1-year warranty. That's a clue.

Next up, I'm going to try the Pocket Pro II (http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/pocket_pro_II.html). It loses the great size advantage of the 7000 but has most of the same functionality, including a lot of improvements over the old Pocket Pro. How it survives a year of traveling back and forth across the country remains to be seen...

I loved the controls of the 7000. But mine died after a short service life also. I barely know what I am doing with my new timer, which is the tan pocket pro II.

Too bad about the 7000's issues as it was packed with good features and its size was were it really shined in my opinion.

KellyTTE
03-17-10, 13:03
In fairness to CEDHK:

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED7000-Shot%252dActivated-Timer.html

Warranty Information
TWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

If the CED7000 breaks due to defective parts or workmanship, we will replace it for you within the first two years. This warranty does not cover any failures attributable to abuse, mishandling, failing to follow operating

CSAT uses 7000s (A LOT) with success and mine has done well so far.

ToddG
03-17-10, 13:18
Interesting. I wonder whether CED extends that same warranty to vendors (and I was misinformed) or if the 2yr warranty only comes if you buy it directly from them.

lindertw
03-17-10, 15:30
I got a CED7000 for Christmas and have yet to take it out of the package. Wonder if they'll let me return/exchange it...

David Thomas
03-17-10, 15:42
I got a CED7000 for Christmas and have yet to take it out of the package. Wonder if they'll let me return/exchange it...

Use until it breaks. It is a great little timer while it works. Who knows that one might be a good one.

chadbag
03-17-10, 16:12
I sent a link to this conversation to the head guy at CED. Hopefully we'll get the word from the horse's mouth.

ToddG
03-17-10, 22:16

I would echo David's comments. Use it until (if) it breaks. Depending on how much you use it and abuse it, it might last you as long as you need it. Mine are getting used a lot, traveling around the country regularly, etc. Until it breaks, it's a great little timer.

JEL458
03-18-10, 01:53
I have had 4 of the Pocket Pro IIs. The one that runs I like, but I have had issues with the other 3. They would randomly turn off, randomly erase shot strings, randomly stop registering shots, etc. The first two were hand me downs, unknown when or through whom they were purchased. I purchased the last one through LE Targets and sent them an email when I had these problems. Within a day they had shipped me a new one and given me their UPS account number to return the problem one. Kudos to Law Enforcement Targets for excellent CS. Unfortunately the replacement they sent still does the same stuff, only not as frequently.
I purchased a CED7000 at the same time that I got the most recent Pocket Pro II. I saw them being used at both TRICON and EAG courses, so I figured I would give them a shot. So far, so good. I use it weekly, oftens times a couple times a week, but not daily. YMMV

Nathan_Bell
03-18-10, 09:04
I have a CED7000 and so far so good, it hasn't broken but I do not use it at nearly the frequency of some here.
Only complaint I have with it was that the battery pack drained itself over the six week deep snow spell we had and getting it to recharge was odd. Plugged it in and left it hanging on the wall and went about my day. Went back to it mid-evening and it still was acting like it was dead. Unplugged it from the charger, forgot about it for a day and then plugged it back in and it charged up normally.

ErnieB
03-19-10, 23:38
I recently broke my Pocket Pro timer so I picked up a Pact Club Timer III. I have used it for two sessions now and so far I like it a lot. The beep is very loud, the display is easy to read, and scrolling through data is very easy. Durability= unknown but it seems to be a good product.

Harv
03-20-10, 18:44
ErnieB

Pact Club Timer III.

Yup, I have been using mine for years, it's not the smallest or newest, but it takes a easy to carry / spare 9V battery, has simple controls and a nice big screen. It holds up well to use and I have dropped it on the hard deck many times and it keeps right on ticking. Has a nice clip that allows me to hang it on my belt.

ErnieB
03-27-10, 11:57
The Pact Club III timer is extremely sensitive as it comes set up for light cowboy action loads. I need to adjust mine as it picks up echoes and registers extra shots.

Redhat
03-28-10, 14:15
Where's the best place to get one of these Pact Timers?

Thanks

javentre
03-28-10, 18:04
Every place that I could find has them backordered.

Brownells and Midway both carry it.

RobMoore
03-28-10, 18:54
We've had the same Pocket Pro at work since I got there (3.5 years ago), and who knows how long before that. The only repair we've needed was to resolder one of the 9v endcap wires.

madisonsfinest
03-28-10, 19:06
I just bought one last week online from pact direct. He said they should be getting more next week. I figure if I order from the direct that I will get it sooner since they don't have to pay some other vendor for selling there product. One of my co workers have one and I can't believe how loud the damn thing is!

ErnieB
03-31-10, 22:58
I ordered my Pact Timer through LaRue Tactical. They had it in stock.

javentre
04-01-10, 05:35
I ordered my Pact Timer through LaRue Tactical. They had it in stock.

I asked Larue a few days ago, they are out of stock.

HowardCohodas
04-02-10, 20:08
Try the manufacturer's web site Club Timer III (http://www.pact.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1). There doesn't seem to be a big difference between street price and MSRP.

ActiveShooter
11-14-10, 20:17
I have had a pocket pro II for quite some time with good luck.