PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 39 AR??

SixtySix
03-08-07, 00:00
Does anyone have any experience with them, or just suggestions with which company makes a quality one??

Thanks'
Joey

John Fettes
03-08-07, 19:26
From what I have read on the Web, the problem is the angle/shape of the magazine bodies, which is limited by the AR magwell profile. There are some Frankenmags that are an AR magazine profile on top to fit in the magwell, and the body of an AK magazine to make it work. Someone may also have a lower with a different or perhaps a variable magwell.

I'd lusted after one of the 7.62 X 39 AR's many years ago, I just never found much good in the way of positive feedback. A good friend has one, but likes his 7.62 X 39 bolt action rifle (Ruger?) much better.

You might also search John Farnam's quips. I don't recall him having anything good to say about them, IIRC.

John

TOrrock
03-08-07, 19:37
Save yourself the headache and buy a quality AK......;)

KWACKERB279
03-08-07, 22:23
my thoughts exactly templar, I own one of them there 7.62x39 AR's and it is of the COLT variaty. In a nutshell, the barrel sits in a box somewhere and the upper now houses a new bolt carrier w/bolt and of cource a new 16in 5.56mm barrel (much better). same problem as everybody else, zero quality magazines were produced for this variation and the junk mags that were made out of hacked off AK mags were exacly that, (JUUUUNK)

BUY AN AK47

Joseywales
03-09-07, 23:44
There are several AR, XCR, and AK manufactureres that make a great rifle in 7.62x39. There is an AR mfg that has a modular lower that can fire AK mags. However, C-products has managed to make a reliable 7.62 mag for ARs. It is a good calibre and can be fired accurately out of the AR or XCR, relative to the AK. I have fired on several years ago and wanted to buy one. I didn't because of the franken mag issue at the time. Now I haven't because I want to see if the 6.8 will take off. All you really need is the complete upper and the mags. You might also need a different buffer, but I am not sure of that.

SixtySix
03-10-07, 00:33
Well , I guess you cant have evrything ;)

twl
03-10-07, 08:18
Well , I guess you cant have evrything ;)

Well, you can, but it doesn't come inexpensively.

We(MGI) are the ones who make the modular AR15 system, which can accept off-the-shelf AK magazines for correct feed and function with the our modular lower(when it's equipped with our AK magwell).

The "hitch" with using AK mags, is that they protrude into the upper receiver too, because that's where they need to be for proper feeding. As a result, the upper receiver must also be relief-cut to fit these wider-body AK mags in.
So, you need a special lower AND a special upper too.

Thankfully, we manufacture our products with this in mind, and all our quick-change-barrel upper receivers are already built to accept the AK mags. And our AK modular magwell is specifically made to take AK mags, and work on our modular lower assembly. So, our system is "plug and play".
But it costs alot more than a normal AR would cost. Like twice as much.

Also, the bolt carrier must have some slight mods, and we also have the bolt carriers built, which will work in the system, and they are available.

It's an excellent working system, very reliable, and quick to convert calibers.
All you need is the extra money to get into it.
Since it is a fully convertible platform now, we have conversion kit parts coming out for other calibers and other magazines, on a schedule of about one new kit per 3 months. So, you'll be able to expand way beyond just one extra caliber and magazine set.

There is no way that we could have made these features in a gun that was comparably priced with a normal basic AR15.