PDA

View Full Version : The USAMU is flogging wat?!?!

JiMfraRED1911
11-27-09, 19:52
http://rock-island-auction.ammoland.com/3846.html

Dirt cheap too, especially when you consider the USMC Det. 1 ICQB Kimbers were being had at 5k and up.

sinister
11-27-09, 20:09
This is NOT a government surplused weapon, nor a weapon released by the Army.

We designed and built a number of pistols on request from the United States Army Special Operations Command Small Arms Force Modernization representative. Three weapons were suppressed.

I believe we actually made 7 or 8 separate protoype pistols in various configurations and colors to show what options are available, commercially off-the-shelf, from vendors from single shops or through sources like Brownells, Kings, Midway, EGW, etc.

We duplicated some of the pistols and these were awarded as Secretary of the Army Trophy Pistols to the pistol champions of the Army Rifle and Pistol Championships (the "All Army" Matches).

The design for this pistol was developed by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) at Fort Benning, Georgia. In early 2004, the AMU was requested to develop a .45 ACP combat style pistol out of commercially available off-the-shelf components. This pistol was to meet the needs of U.S. forces stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan who wanted a more powerful sidearm to use in close combat situations than what was currently available. This pistol falls into the serial number block of five pistols that were ordered on 21 November 2006. It has an unmarked Caspian slide with front and rear cocking serrations, and Novak adjustable rear and front sights with three-dot inserts. The left side of the Caspian frame is marked "MODEL OF 1911A2 U.S. Army" and the one line Caspian Wolcott address over the U.S. prototype (USPT) serial number followed by "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". The barrel is marked "STORM LAKE 45ACP". The frame has an integral rail for light/laser attachment and features a Greider trigger, checkered grip straps, skeletonized hammer, single stacked magazine and black checkered grips. Complete with a plain cardboard box marked with the gun's serial number, Caspian inspector tags, paper test target and a copy of papers explaining the project. As of 2007, ten of these prototype pistol were known to exist.

Near new, with virtually all of the current matte black finish remaining with some light scratches overall and a few minor dings on the butt. The grips are also excellent with a couple of very light dings in the overall sharp checkering.

http://rock-island-auction.ammoland.com/images/3846.0.jpg

JiMfraRED1911
11-27-09, 20:23
Thank you Sinister for your further insight on the given topic. I've read the magazine article and the M1911A2 topic on Louder Than Words.

RogerinTPA
11-27-09, 20:55
Very nice 1911.:cool: I thought it was a LAV build for a second.

JiMfraRED1911
11-27-09, 21:02
I wonder if Mr. Vickers had any input with the A2 program. Looks like he retired when the program got the ball rolling.

Robb Jensen
11-27-09, 21:17
Unless you're purely an investor Jim save your money. Use it to further your current kit and training.

JiMfraRED1911
11-27-09, 21:27
Unless you're purely an investor Jim save your money. Use it to further your current kit and training.

Sound advise gotm4. I admit that I drool way too much over the old girl.

Don't worry I'm taking the VT AK course in '10 and hopefully a Magpul carbine course in 2011. BTW, that DD Omega you installed on my Colt...is an absolute peach. Thanks a million.

Robb Jensen
11-27-09, 21:45
Sound advise gotm4. I admit that I drool way too much over the old girl.

Don't worry I'm taking the VT AK course in '10 and hopefully a Magpul carbine course in 2011. BTW, that DD Omega you installed on my Colt...is an absolute peach. Thanks a million.

Good attitude Jim. Don't fall in love with your gear/weapons etc.. Think of it as a carpenter views his hammer or a football player view his helmet. These things are dispensable/expendable, use them well but don't be afraid to replace them when it's necessary.

sinister
11-27-09, 21:59
Good attitude Jim. Don't fall in love with your gear/weapons etc.. Think of it as a carpenter views his hammer or a football player view his helmet. These things are dispensable/expendable, use them well but don't be afraid to replace them when it's necessary.

"Rangers, don't get sentimental about your equipment!"

My then-Platoon Sergeant, Sergeant First Class Lou Palacios (later Command Sergeant Major of Second Ranger Battalion)

Wally
11-30-09, 07:34
Do you guys have a link to the LTW thread...can't seem to find it. Also, since we have some experienced guys with knowledge of these pistols, any additonal pics? I seem to remember one with a front pic. rail with a Dr. type optic on it...

Thanks, Wally

JiMfraRED1911
11-30-09, 13:56
Here ya go.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5624