PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P .40 Impressions

RyanS
07-07-06, 15:18
When these first hit the shelves, I was somewhat skeptical about them as they were reminiscent of the Sigma. Also, I couldn't fathom how they could compare, or rather compete, with my beloved Glocks. Mind you, they certainly felt good in hand and the trigger pull on the samples that I handled were very nice. But again, being the skeptic that I am I reserved judgment until I could fire one. Furthermore, I was very disappointed by the fact that they had an internal locking device and a magazine disconnect.

Last night, the opportunity arose for me to put some rounds down range. I was able to run a couple of boxes of 180 gr. rounds through a range rental and I was very impressed. It was accurate and recoil was similar to a Glock 9mm. It felt great. There were two warts that I must mention, the rear sight came loose, but this was due to the fact that the set screw was not tightened down. The other was the fact that the gun had several failures to feed as the rounds were getting caught up. The range manager and I were able to trace this to the fact that the magazine follower was chipped and was binding slightly, therefore not pushing the rounds up with sufficient force. Neither of these issue turned me off on the gun as both were easily rectified.

After shooting, I took a look at several M&Ps that the gun shop had in stock and much to my suprise, they didn't have the internal locking device. Unfortunately, they still came with the magazine disconnect. When I asked, I was told that civilians could get them with out the lock but not the disconnect.

So I have questions for you folks because I am really interested in getting one of these. What are your experiences with the M&P series? Likes and dislikes? And last, if I were to get one, is there any way to remove the disconnect?

Sam
07-07-06, 15:46
My first exposure to the M&P was a range rental .40. While I never care for the .40, I was interested in the pistol. I shot a box of ammo through the gun and found the recoil was not nearly as sharp as other .40. I was looking forward to getting a 9mm when it came out.
Fast forward to June, I took a 9mm home when it first became available. Since then I've shot 500 flawless rounds through it. I found the recoil, better yet the muzzle flip, was less than that from a Glock 19. The beavertail helps, the interchangeable backstrap made it possible to tailor the gun to most hand size. I prefer the smallest backstrap, it feels as thin as a 1911.
Mine doesn't have the interlock, I don't care for the 3 dot sights. I blacked out the rear dots and painted the front sight bright green for visibility. For some reason I can't pick up these sights like I can with the Heinies on my Glock and 1911s. I will install a set of Heinies when they're available.
As for the magazine safety, here is how to remove it. A friend helped me remove mine in 10 minutes with these instructions.
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P.htm

There is also a "how to" do your own trigger job. I will get that done to mine also. As the factory trigger has a vague and spongy reset. I don't mind the weight just the reset. My friend told me that a 5 lb trigger job with positive reset takes about 15 minutes.

This one is a keeper.

Steven T
07-07-06, 18:07
I have a .40 M&P and really like it. I only have 500 rounds through mine, so not much of a test, but there have been zero problems. I am going to put another 200 through it Sat. The trigger on mine is pretty good, a lot better than any of the Glocks I've owned. The only thing I really want is a new set of sights. I have read that Warren sights will be availible for it and Hilton Yam may have a set availible before to long. I am waiting impatiently.
Steve

VA_Dinger
07-08-06, 21:40
I have only handled one M&P and that was at a local gunshop. I have been meaning to go rent one for a few hundred rounds though. I can say that based on merely five minutes of handling that I was very impressed. The ergonomics seemed damn near perfect and it pointed far better than any Glock I've ever owned. My only issue with was the tiny & very recessed slide stop/release. My preferred reload technique is to drop the slide using it. No way I could do that effectively with the stock M&P. It's a small bitch, but that’s the best I could come up with. :)

That being said, I have no use for a .40 handgun. I’m trying to keep all of my pistols .45 (Preferred) or 9mm. It makes my ammo buying so much easier. Luckily I have heard great things about the already released 9mm version and the .45 prototypes.

I’m about 80% sure I have at least one M&P in my future.

Sam
07-09-06, 08:23
Got the level 1 trigger job done. Now the reset is much more positive and trigger pull is lightened and smoother with less creep. My friend did it for me in about 20 minutes. Put 100 rounds through it to test the new trigger job, I liked it. Total of 600 troublefree rounds.

I'm glad S&W now have something to fight the Austrian maker. I think it's a winner. I will get the compact in 9mm when it's available.

M4arc
07-16-06, 06:50
Got the level 1 trigger job done. Now the reset is much more positive and trigger pull is lightened and smoother with less creep. My friend did it for me in about 20 minutes. Put 100 rounds through it to test the new trigger job, I liked it. Total of 600 troublefree rounds.

I'm glad S&W now have something to fight the Austrian maker. I think it's a winner. I will get the compact in 9mm when it's available.

Is there any word on the compact version? I saw someone on 10-8 started a thread but then pulled it for some reason?

I've been very curious about the M&P but I'm not ready to sell all of my GLOCKs just yet and jump on board. However, a compact version could help sway me ;)

Sam
07-16-06, 08:00
I noticed also that he took his pictures down at the request of someone at S&W, I guess there're not ready to reveal it yet.

I don't have or need to sell my Glocks because I only have a 19. The only reason I have the 19 is it's the original Austrian assembled generation 1 that I bought when it first came out in the 80s.

M4arc
07-16-06, 08:05
I noticed also that he took his pictures down at the request of someone at S&W, I guess there're not ready to reveal it yet.

I don't have or need to sell my Glocks because I only have a 19. The only reason I have the 19 is it's the original Austrian assembled generation 1 that I bought when it first came out in the 80s.

DUDE!!! :eek:

If you ever want to sell it please, please, please give me first dibbs.

BTW, can you post a picture of it?

Did I mention that I would like first dibbs if you ever want to sell it?

Sam
07-16-06, 09:02
Since you're the moderator and requested a picture, I'll post it, hope it doesn't piss anybody off :)
Sorry dude, I have no need to sell it. I sold it a long time ago in a divorce sale to a good friend for $250. He kept it for 2 years and fired it ONCE, I mean 1 single shot at a snake. He missed and the gun malfunctioned ! I assumed he limp wristed it. He talked me into buying it back, so I did. :)
The picture may not show all the finish wear at the front of the slide, it's basically shiny white there. I installed Heinie's Straight 8 sights, butt plug and an extended mag release (dehorned and trimmed). Otherwise, it's stock with probably less than 10000 rounds through it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RichardTouch/G19002.jpg

M4arc
07-16-06, 09:12
Nice! Post it on the GLOCK picture thread.