PDA

View Full Version : Who needs an invitation?

13F3OL7
11-27-09, 21:00
Don't know if anyone has been reading about this, but apparently a Virginia couple who was being considered for a reality TV series made it past security at the White House and crashed the state dinner earlier this week. When I told my wife about it she said "what security?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34173530/ns/politics-white_house

WASHINGTON - The Virginia couple who crashed a presidential dinner met President Barack Obama in the receiving line, the White House said Friday, as a “deeply concerned and embarrassed” Secret Service acknowledged its officers failed to check whether the couple was on the guest list.

The White House released a photo showing the Salahis in the receiving line in the Blue Room with Obama and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in whose honor the dinner was held. Obama and Michaele Salahi are smiling as she grasps his right hand with both of hers as her husband, Tareq, looks on. Singh is standing to the left of Obama.

The Secret Service earlier this week had said the president was not in danger because the couple — like others at the dinner — had gone through magnetometers. But in light of their close proximity to the president, no such claim was made Friday.

The Salahis were not on the guest list and should have been prohibited from entering last Tuesday’s dinner on the White House South Lawn for the prime minister of India, said Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan.

On Friday, Sullivan was apologetic in a written statement, saying the agency that protects the president is “deeply concerned and embarrassed” that procedures were not followed.

“As our investigation continues, appropriate measures have been taken to ensure this is not repeated,” Sullivan said.

Secret Service spokesman Jim Mackin said officers at the checkpoint had a clipboard with names of the invited guests. Even though the Salahis names weren’t on it, they were allowed to proceed. The officers should have called either someone on the White House staff or Secret Service personnel before allowing them past the checkpoint, Mackin said.

Earlier, Mackin said the Secret Service may pursue a criminal investigation of the Salahis.

jaydoc1
11-27-09, 21:15
Secret Service spokesman Jim Mackin said officers at the checkpoint had a clipboard with names of the invited guests. Even though the Salahis names weren’t on it, they were allowed to proceed. The officers should have called either someone on the White House staff or Secret Service personnel before allowing them past the checkpoint, Mackin said.

Earlier, Mackin said the Secret Service may pursue a criminal investigation of the Salahis.

Criminal investigation of what? Of walking into the house that the Salahis pay for with their taxes to check in on their employees?

Obviously I say that tongue in cheek but, really, what did they do other than stroll into a party they weren't invited to?

I love one of the comments made that said something like, "They may have had a good time but they have threatened the careers and livelihood of several secret service agents." Umm, I think those agents pretty much took care of that by not doing a good job.

Bantee
11-27-09, 21:23
Incredible story! I can't believe this day in age someone could get that close to the POTUS. At that rate it would appear Bin Laden has better security.;)

SWATcop556
11-27-09, 22:19
Looks like the Secret Service will be hiring soon.

Damn that's a cluster ****. I don't care what the couple walked through before entering. :mad:

parishioner
11-27-09, 22:28
They even announced their names as the couple entered the receiving area.

bkb0000
11-27-09, 22:54
Criminal investigation of what? Of walking into the house that the Salahis pay for with their taxes to check in on their employees?

Obviously I say that tongue in cheek but, really, what did they do other than stroll into a party they weren't invited to?

I love one of the comments made that said something like, "They may have had a good time but they have threatened the careers and livelihood of several secret service agents." Umm, I think those agents pretty much took care of that by not doing a good job.

according to the article, giving false statements "in federal matters" is a crime.. don't know how exactly that could be applied to them. if they made false statements to get in, then i suppose this might go.

i totally agree that charges would be obscene, considering the massive lapse in security... they literally, as you said, walked into a party uninvited. no forced entry, no weapons, no dead sentries, no high tech alarm-deactivating gadgetry... i cant even see a simple Trespass sticking- security let them in.

They even announced their names as the couple entered the receiving area.

that's so ****in awesome

armakraut
11-27-09, 22:54
I bet they mentioned mayor Daley a lot.