PDA

View Full Version : Flight Control and MOD (or tighter) chokes?

WS6
11-28-09, 00:37
Has anyone tried the Flight Control buckshot in a MOD or tighter choke? How did it do? If you have tried it in CYL/IC, as it is advertised to be made for, how did it compare?

alt154shiver
11-28-09, 01:02
I can't help with the question about chokes, however, I have fired it from a cyl barrel and it performs as advertised.

From the reports that i have read, using anything tighter than IC will cause the flight control to pattern more like regular buck. The FC wad works by staying with the shot longer and separating form the shot column slowly by using rear drag on the wad. Adding too much constriction puts drag on the FC wad early on causing early separation of the wad from the shot column. You wont get terrible pattern sizes from FC out of a mod choke, but it wont be anywhere near what FC is capable of.

-alt

bignotti
11-28-09, 13:42
What he said. +1

WS6
11-28-09, 15:17
What he said. +1

have you tested/seen, or basing on second-hand info like the first reply?

dbrowne1
11-28-09, 15:41
Has anyone tried the Flight Control buckshot in a MOD or tighter choke? How did it do? If you have tried it in CYL/IC, as it is advertised to be made for, how did it compare?

I've shot hundreds of rounds of Federal LE133 OO (8 pellet flight control) through a 14" 870 that's stamped MOD and it performs very well.

I'd have to dig around to find my exact patterning results, but I know that you can barely even see separate pellet holes until you get about 7-8 yards back. Fully confident in keeping them all on a typical 10" paper plate at 25 yards.

I've never done a systematic comparison, but I gave some LE133 to another student in a class who had a 18 or 20 inch cylinder Mossberg, and subjectively there was almost no difference in the pattern within the 15 yards or so we shot it at.

Having said all that, shotgun barrels are unique and idiopathic, and two barrels that are identical on paper may pattern differently. Just try it out in your barrel and see what it does.

alt154shiver
12-01-09, 23:55
From another forum:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=201125

M4FAN tested the flight control from a MOD choke. Of course with a shotgun YMMV. Send him a PM for more details. I'd like to see some pattern pictures myself.

-alt

WS6
12-01-09, 23:58
From another forum:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=201125

M4FAN tested the flight control from a MOD choke. Of course with a shotgun YMMV. Send him a PM for more details. I'd like to see some pattern pictures myself.

-alt

I am him. At 20 yards it was a VERY even pattern about 5-8" in diameter. At 25 yards, still even, but about like Winchester Super X buckshot. At 40 yards it was a like any other buckshot I have tried that didn't suck.

alt154shiver
12-02-09, 08:29
Ya know, I got a vibe that it was a little to coincidental that this thread was going on and shortly thereafter a thread with answers shows up on shotgunworld...

dbrowne1
12-03-09, 14:15
I am him. At 20 yards it was a VERY even pattern about 5-8" in diameter. At 25 yards, still even, but about like Winchester Super X buckshot. At 40 yards it was a like any other buckshot I have tried that didn't suck.

What type of sights are you using?

Also, try the 8 pellet version (LE133). For some reason, 8 pellet loads seem to throw fewer fliers.

WS6
12-03-09, 17:50
What type of sights are you using?

Also, try the 8 pellet version (LE133). For some reason, 8 pellet loads seem to throw fewer fliers.

factory installed LPA ghost-ring.

The 8-pellet load is VERY light, I doubt it would cycle. My shotgun barely, but reliably, cycles 1-1/8oz bird-shot fired at 1175fps or whatever the STS light skeet loads are, but (8) 00 pellets are less than an ounce (they are 432gr+wad+buffer), and 1145fps is SLOW. I doubt it would work. Much less reliably enough if not held VERY tight so as to transmit ALL the force to the action. Just not practical.