PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 22 RTF problems...Suggestions?

lil'Zeus
11-28-09, 12:16
I sold my 34 to finance my new 22 RTF purchase a while back. I wanted to get back to everything 40 cal for ease of stocking ammo.

My new RTF is great, and I really like the feel of it. Glocks could never win a beauty contest so who cares.

I have a problem when I fire the gun. Here is what it is doing:
-Load the mag and put it in the gun
-Drop the slide and aim the gun
-Pull the trigger
-Gun goes bang and throws the case

That is when the problem sets in. The slide gets stuck back, I reach up pull the slide back a hair and it falls into place feeding the next round. Then it all happens again.

I have tried 3 different types and weights of ammo. It only seems to do it on the top side of a magazine. The first 3-5 rounds. I loaded up a mag with just 10 rounds in it and it does the same thing.

I have been told I'm limp wristing it...I grab the fun harder and it still does it. I have never had a problem with the 34 I sold or my carry gun which is a 23. I held them the same as I do this gun but this one has an issue.

The only mod made to the gun was trijicon night sites and a 34/35 style slide release. (factory guide rod)

I have an after market Glockmiester tungsten guide rod and 3 springs. I have not tried different spring rates to see if this helps with the problem.

Any suggestions of what to try? All my mags have #8 followers and that is what came with the gun. It also does this on all 7 or 8 of my G22 mags...

Also, the gun is newer and only has a round count of around 300 or so...does this gun need a break in? I ask as I have never had this problem in the past...

Thanks in advace...

Shane

John_Wayne777
11-28-09, 12:42
Let me see if I understand the problem correctly:

You load a magazine and chamber a round. The round chambers just fine when you drop the slide from lock or cycle the slide manually, correct?

Then you fire the gun and the slide remains locked almost fully to the rear. You pull back on the slide and release and it will then chamber the round and fire...but it will likely lock back open again.

Is this an accurate description of the problem?

Some additional questions to try and help us pinpoint your issue:

1. You mention aftermarket springs, but I'm unclear as to whether or not you are using the stock captured spring or one of the aftermarket arrangements. Which is in the weapon when it exhibits this behavior?

2. What sort of grip do you have on the weapon when this happens? Are you sure that you are not applying any upward pressure on the slide lock when the weapon recoils? Do you have the stock slide lock on the weapon or an extended slide lock?

3. Have you tried gripping the weapon more loosely? I say this because some .40 caliber Glocks have been known to have feed issues that are actually made slightly worse with a really firm grip.

4. When this malfunction happens the spent case is completely clear of the chamber, correct?

5. When you look at the malfunction does the next round in the magazine appear to have moved at all from the "resting" position in the magazine?

If you can snap some detailed pics of this malfunction it might help with the diagnosis a bit. Since it's happening with all of your magazines it sounds to me like you may have an issue with the weapon itself...which isn't unheard of with .40 caliber glocks.

Littlelebowski
11-28-09, 13:33
Switch back to all stock and get back to us.

Robb Jensen
11-28-09, 13:52
More than likely you incorrectly installed the G34/35 slide catch. If the spring end of it isn't under the locking block pin (the top most pin) the gun will lock open after EVERY round fired.

To correctly install/remove the slide stop here's my method:

Unload gun, twice! Make sure nothing is in the chamber visually and by textile feel.

Disassemble the pistol.
Using a Glock tool or a 3/32" punch push out the locking block pin (the top one) from shooters left to the right.
Using the same Glock tool or 3/32" punch apply pressure to the trigger pin from shooters left to the right. You'll need to pull up and down on the slide catch while applying pressure to get the pin to move DO NOT HAMMER on the tool/punch. Once it begins to move push it all the way out of the frame.
Remove the slide catch.
Reinstall the locking block pin into the right side of the frame and center it up in the frame.
Install/Reinstall the slide catch sliding it into the frame keeping its spring under the locking block pin.
Holding the slide catch in place reinstall the trigger pin from the right side of the frame and push it into the frame, you should get a small click as it locks up.

If you did this correctly you should still see the end of the slide catch spring under the locking block pin. Pull up and release the slide catch, it should snap back down under it's own spring pressure.
Reassemble the pistol. Lock the slide to the rear, Pull the slide to the rear and release the slide should go home smartly.

lil'Zeus
11-28-09, 14:49
This issue is happening with the stock captured guide rod...only mods are night sites and 34/35 extended side release.

John_Waynne777
Yes and Yes

I have not tried gripping it more loosely...I know some glocks have problems if you limp wrist it...I'm almost squeezing so hard I cant hold the gun steady. If I hold it like I shoot my 23 it seems to foul up more frequently.

When the weapon malfunctions it thows the spent casing and locks opens or gets caught in the back position some how.

The problem is it doesn't do it every time. Just on the top side of a loaded mag. That is why I was curious if it had a half empty mag, like only 10 rounds loaded. It doesn't matter, the first 3-5 rounds almost always malfunction.

The next round in the mag does not appear to have moved from its normal resting position under the feed lips.

I'll try and snap some pics this week, I'm going to try and get to the range to figure this thing out.

I had the extended slide released before I ever shot the gun. I might be hitting the slide release with my hand, but I never did on my 23 or 34..so I'm not sure. I have had others fire the gun and it does this to them if that is any help. I tried other shooters who own glocks so see if it was my grip...It did it to them as well.

I might try to reinstall it, but have never done it before. I know you have to have the spring portion in the correct spot. I have herd of a bad install causing problems like this but since it only does it every once in a while I'm lost.

thanks (sorry for my broken post, just trying to answer questions as I re read them)

Shane

John_Wayne777
11-28-09, 16:20
I would pay very close attention to what GotM4 posted, as I bet that's what's happening to you. He's a genius with plastic guns and AR's.

lil'Zeus
11-28-09, 16:38
I'll try to take it apart tonight...It didn't do this at first when I bought the gun for the first box or two of shells..the pin holding the release started to walk out now that I think about it, and I pushed it back in...do you think something could have gotten out of wack?

I think I'll mess with it tonight...maybe compare it to my 23 and see if it looks any different...(both have the extended slide release...)

thanks...
Shane

lil'Zeus
11-29-09, 10:13
I took apart my 22 last night and found the wire spring portion of the slide release was behind the upper push pin. I took it apart but the wire was all bent up. I took the wire off of the factory slide release and put it onto the extended slide release that was messed up. I put it back together and it seem right now, but wont know if that is completely the problem.

I hope so, thanks for you help everyone...

Shane