PDA

View Full Version : Question for engineer or math wiz

EzGoingKev
11-28-09, 12:18
I need to calculate how many ml of fluid would equal 5mm of height in a cylinder.

What is the formula I would use?

DrMark
11-28-09, 15:06
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj368/DrMark43/volume.jpg

EzGoingKev
11-29-09, 14:43
Thanks for the reply.

Just to be sure, I calculated 5.6ml (rounded) would occupy 5mm of space in a cylinder with an ID of 38mm.

Is this correct?

DrMark
11-29-09, 15:01
Thanks for the reply.

Just to be sure, I calculated 5.6ml (rounded) would occupy 5mm of space in a cylinder with an ID of 38mm.

Is this correct?

Yeah, I calculate 5.67 ml.

Please tell me I'm not helping you make meth. ;)

EzGoingKev
11-29-09, 15:13
Please tell me I'm not helping you make meth. ;)
No, nothing at all like that.

I am working with a set of front forks on a racing motorcycle and am testing a new configuration that I have not used before.

The fork is a sealed system so the air gap between the fork oil level and the cap gives you an "air spring" that will work with the physical spring. The set up that I am playing with is supposed to allow you to run the oil level lower than previous so I am going to start low but want to be able to accurately document any increases in fluid level.

DrMark
11-29-09, 18:04
very cool

:cool:

An Undocumented Worker
11-29-09, 19:32
If you are trying to adjust bottom out response on the fork, measure the height of the origonal oil level with the fork in a compressed state, if you are trying to increase resistance to bottom out add about 5mm at a time and then retest fork performance.

This is what I do on the fork for my mountain bike and it has worked well for me.

I use a digital caliper's depth probe and a flashlight to determine oil level.

A simple process that removes the tedious math and guesswork from the process.

EzGoingKev
11-29-09, 20:54
While the principles are the same, what I am doing is a lot different than what you are doing with your mountain bike forks.