PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint or Eotech on DDM4??

rugger1015
11-28-09, 15:36
I know there are many threads on this topic, however, I just received my new DDM4 and I really want to put an optic on it. There are a lot of holiday sales going right now too, so the timing is right.

I'd like your opinions on what I should buy. I am using my rifle for home defense and target shooting within 200 yards. I'd eventually like to take a carbine course or two...I'm looking to spend around $400-$500 total for the optic and mount. I like the price of the Aimpoint C3 or Eotech 510. Of course lighter would be better...

I value all of your opinions so thank you in advance!

BushmasterFanBoy
11-28-09, 15:47
Get any aimpoint over any eotech. I had a 512 for a while, wasted a lot of time chasing zero's, and lots of batteries went dead from just sitting around. A few times in the cold, it wouldn't even turn on.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, and the reticule was nice, but I had enough of the silly issues and just got an Aimpoint M4s.

You'd be served well by any aimpoint, but if you already use an Eotech, get a 30mm model, as the 20mm T1/H1 might be too big of an adjustment.

GLOCKMASTER
11-28-09, 16:05
I know there are many threads on this topic, however, I just received my new DDM4 and I really want to put an optic on it. There are a lot of holiday sales going right now too, so the timing is right.

I'd like your opinions on what I should buy. I am using my rifle for home defense and target shooting within 200 yards. I'd eventually like to take a carbine course or two...I'm looking to spend around $400-$500 total for the optic and mount. I like the price of the Aimpoint C3 or Eotech 510. Of course lighter would be better...

I value all of your opinions so thank you in advance!

I'm a big Aimpoint fan however, I recently purchased a new Eotech XPS and I really like it. I haven't had any issues with it and I would buy another in a minute. I also just recently attended the Viking Tactics Night Fighter class where almost everyone ran an Eotech and they all ran without issue.

Class photo.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/VTAC%20Night%20Fighter/VTACNightFight_202.jpg

John_Wayne777
11-28-09, 16:07
Generally speaking Aimpoints are the lowest maintenance optic you are going to find at any pricepoint. The total cost of ownership for the Aimpoint optics are generally lower than for the EOThings. The controls for the Aimpoints are simple and don't spontaneously turn the optic off to preserve the shorter battery life.

Etc.

Lots of people like their EOTechs...but Aimpoints are the Glock 17 of the optic world. Reliable, durable, low maintenance, and likely to function when you need it. Even the older/lower priced Aimpoints are damn good RDS for the money.

I run a *gasp* CompC on my go-to gun. Why? Because I got it cheap and it works.

NoBody
11-28-09, 16:58
I'm a big Aimpoint fan however, I recently purchased a new Eotech XPS and I really like it. I haven't had any issues with it and I would buy another in a minute.

+1. Just purchased a second EOTech XPS2-0 from Grant. :D

Submariner
11-28-09, 17:19
I'd eventually like to take a carbine course or two...I'm looking to spend around $400-$500 total for the optic and mount. I like the price of the Aimpoint C3...

Used Aimpoint C3 in 2MOA and used LT129 are the cheapest Aimpoint combo we have. No NV. No diving. Did I mention cheap?;)

Works fine with an LT Po' Boy magnifier, too.

Cheap! It was $345 on this board. :D

rugger1015
11-28-09, 23:38
Submariner:

Where was this for sale at??

fastpat
11-29-09, 11:02

I value all of your opinions so thank you in advance!This is, I think, a common dilemma, do you go for high visibility and the fastest target acquisition (Eotech), trading off a lack of lens covers that seal out dirt and water, or do you go for a sight with 5 to 8 years of battery life (depending on model) with excellent covers, but a not quite so good reticle.

I have two Eotech's, one of which is the new XPS3, the other an older 552. The older one has been trouble free for 10 years, it's on its third set of batteries I think. I replace batteries every 4-5 years as a precautionary maintenance task. The newer sight is very short front to rear, allowing it to be mounted pretty far forward, making room for magnifiers or a PVS14 night vision monocular.
http://images53.fotki.com/v419/photos/5/41655/8199252/XPS3_on_FAL_05a-vi.jpg

However, I have not ruled out, yet, a purchase of either an Aimpoint CompM3 or CompM4. That 50k to 80k battery life is very attractive for the use to which I plan for my AR when construction is complete. That is, a fast reaction rifle that I can have with me pretty much all the time, in high dust environments and other hostile places with the idea that all that is required is to flip open the lens covers and aim.

So, before purchasing, I'm doing a lot of research. Viewing opinions of various users of both, then I'll decide.