PDA

View Full Version : LE6940 or Sig 556 Classic SWAT

gtmtnbiker98
11-28-09, 19:33
Since regaining a NIB 6920, I find myself lusting after a second rifle. I cannot decide for the life of me between the 6940 and the 556 Classic SWAT. I'm unfamiliar with gas piston rifles, but from what I hear, they run cooler and cleaner. I can get a good deal on a SWAT and 6940s are running in the neighborhood of $1490. I can get the 556 SWAT for $1540 which is well under dealer's cost.

What are the pros and cons of the two? Like I said, I already have a 6920 and love it. If this has been asked before, my apologies. I failed to find anything during a search of similar topics.

Kentucky Cop
11-28-09, 19:49
First off, www.policeguns.com has the 6940 in the high $1200 range if that helps you make a decision. I had a 6940 for a few months and other than the Colt name, just couldn't warm up to it. I hated the front and rear sights. The rear lollipop felt like it could bend or break when up. The front sight didn't lock in place and I was worried about hitting it on something making it go down. Also, the front sight was on the gas block and I hated the way Colt didn't make the rail (monolithic) carry on over the gas block and putting the sight on the rail for a more smoother look. I had a hard time fitting rail covers on the Colt rail. Those were my big hang ups on the rifle. I looked into the VLTOR gas block sight and it ran in the $225 range plus a smith to attach it on top of the money I had in the rifle. I will be honest, I don't know a damn thing about the Sig rifle but I hope this helps you.

Ky Cop

30in1
11-28-09, 19:50
Have you considered an LMT MRP? It has both a monolithic rail upper like the 6940 and a piston like the Sig 556.

RogerinTPA
11-28-09, 19:58
Since regaining a NIB 6920, I find myself lusting after a second rifle. I cannot decide for the life of me between the 6940 and the 556 Classic SWAT. I'm unfamiliar with gas piston rifles, but from what I hear, they run cooler and cleaner. I can get a good deal on a SWAT and 6940s are running in the neighborhood of $1490. I can get the 556 SWAT for $1540 which is well under dealer's cost.

What are the pros and cons of the two? Like I said, I already have a 6920 and love it. If this has been asked before, my apologies. I failed to find anything during a search of similar topics.

I'd stick with a similar platform personally, and get the 6940. That said, since the rail is monolithic on the 6940, you're kinda stuck with that rail. I believe you even need a special wrench to remove the barrel. Another 6920 would give you more options. Pistons aren't all they're cracked up to be. This obsession with "clean" and being more "reliable" operating pistons, escapes me. The carbon is just deposited on the other end. The AR will run "wet and dirty" but not "dry and dirty". I personally have put 3000 to 3500 rounds though anyone of my DI ARs without cleaning them, just lube, with no issues, on a regular basis. If this is an "itch" you have to scratch, then either will be fine, but the 6940 gets the nod.

d90king
11-28-09, 20:01
Have you considered an LMT MRP? It has both a monolithic rail upper like the 6940 and a piston like the Sig 556.

Only problem is finding one...

Op, I have a 6940 and actually like the rifle. It has a shorter rail on it which makes it handier than most railed rifles, but offers enough room for what you need... The mono is a bonus in my mind and I like it on both my MRP and 6940.

I have found that the Sig rifles tend to be very muzzle heavy and don't handle the way a carbine should. Just my opinion, but I have handled and shot them enough to give you an honest assessment. I also owned a P556... If you want a piston I think there are better options available. YMMV

30in1
11-28-09, 20:08
Not to divert thread.

But I am looking at a piston also. I have a bead on a LMT MRP CQB Middy Piston for $1599. Is it worth it and is that a good price?

I only brought this up because it seems to be the perfect compromise. I just don't have experience with it.

RogerinTPA
11-28-09, 20:10

I have an LMT MRP Middy with a rifle length rail. I like rifle rails, since I like to extend my support arm further out. It's a good weapon, but damn is it heavy compared to my other ARs. Maybe I just need to g=hit the gym more often.:p I do like the option of switching out barrels with the two hex screws, so you can change calibers for a more serious hunting cartridge. If I had to do it again, I'd get another Colt 6920, have the FBS shaved or install a lower gas block, and put a DD 12.0 Lite Rail on it. I may end up doing it anyway since the prices are so reasonable.

d90king
11-28-09, 20:18
Not to divert thread.

But I am looking at a piston also. I have a bead on a LMT MRP CQB Middy Piston for $1599. Is it worth it and is that a good price?

I only brought this up because it seems to be the perfect compromise. I just don't have experience with it.

At that price I think the LMT is a no brainer... I own a MRP and I love it. I also have a M6A3 piston... Just dont go into the piston arena thinking that it is really going to do anything different than a 16' DI rifle doesn't already offer, its just a different system... I think the benefits of the piston design is on SBR's with a can...

benthughes
11-28-09, 20:55
I had a Sig SWAT for a bit and ended up offloading it. The gun was pretty nice and pretty accurate but was heavy ( compared to my AR's). Also, aftermarket parts are more difficult and expensive to come by and the rail gave me headaches when trying to mount things on the bottom rail. I'm of the opinion that the piston doesn't really offer much to the average user.

I've got a LWRC that I really like and, granted, it runs much cleaner and cooler but recoils a bit more making it slightly slower in getting back on target. In a 16" rifle being run without a supressor the gas piston is just another part to clean.

Get the Colt. It'll do everything the Sig will do, will retain it's value better and you'll be able to find parts for it.

Spooky130
11-29-09, 08:40
Not to divert thread.

Dang - if you don't get it let me know where to find one at that price!

Spooky