PDA

View Full Version : Your First Go To Home Defense Weapon???

lil'Zeus
11-29-09, 21:40
I was just curious as to what everyone actually has as there primary home defense weapon.

My go to gun is my Remington 870

Thanks
Shane

usaffarmer
11-29-09, 21:46
Mine is my 1911, Its always on me or its on the nightstand while I sleep.

HAMMERDROP
11-29-09, 21:50

What usaffarmer said ...

Michael

WGG
11-29-09, 22:16
My 1911, a flashlight and knife are always on the bedside table when I retire for the evening. I would use these until I could cover the 10 feet to the open safe where the LMT is loaded with the T1 on.

lil'Zeus
11-29-09, 22:35
Great guys, keep em coming!

CoryCop25
11-29-09, 22:36
I chose pistol in the pole because that is what I use right now. I would prefer to have an AR as my home defense weapon but my children are too young to have a rifle sitting in the corner. In a couple years, the pistol with light attached will be replaced with an AR with light attached.

Macx
11-29-09, 22:58
CZ Rami .40 or Ruger Alaskan .454, sometimes both are handiest between where I sit and where the safe is.

VSP733
11-29-09, 23:09
Some good choices so far! I keep a .40 CZ75B right at the bedside with Safariland's RLS tactical light. The light is great because it uses AAA batteries instead of the expensive cr123's or whatever they're called. A 12 ga. and AR15 are pretty close as well, but everytime I've heard a "bump" in the night I naturally grab the pistol. My wife on the other hand has an UZI carbine.

nfranco
11-29-09, 23:09
Pitbull, Dalmatian, 1911 and god help them if the Pekingese gets involved.

catatonic
11-29-09, 23:11
G19 until I get to:
Mossberg 500 isn't far, but I would go with my AR.

bradb55
11-29-09, 23:12
Glock 19 setting on the night stand..........Remington 870 just under the bed

maximus83
11-29-09, 23:13
1911 with rail-mounted light in the nightstand.

crusader377
11-29-09, 23:21
Beretta 92 in 9mm for my nightstand gun.

Baja3500
11-29-09, 23:40
HK USPc .40

Win75
11-29-09, 23:45
I keep a S&W 6906 9mm under the pillow so that is first. A paratrooper SKS with collapsible stock, tach light, and 20 round mag is real close though. :)

lil'Zeus
11-29-09, 23:53
I'm glad I started the thread...its interesting to see what everyone trusts their lives with....

thanks,
Shane

Brad519
11-30-09, 00:27
One pistol on the night stand. Two on the dresser. A big ass Akita on the floor in the hallway and some "long guns" not to far away in the safe.
The Akita lets me know if someone is near.
The pistols help me fight to the Safe.

RancidSumo
11-30-09, 00:35
I keep my BCM carbine within reach at night loaded with 30rds of 75gr TAP. I figure that combined with a RDS gives me the best shot at coming out on top should I ever have to use it to defend against an attacker, especially at night.

5pins
11-30-09, 00:35
Glock 19 in a mini gunvalt in the nightstand

kaiservontexas
11-30-09, 00:50
Can't really vote as I use both a shotgun and a handgun.

ROCKET20_GINSU
11-30-09, 00:54
I'll usually keep my G26 + Crimson Trace laser somewhere in the same room with me within reach.

Then I keep another glock usually unloaded or in condition amber w/ x200 attached with spare mags in the vic in the walk in closet in the bedroom.

And I'm almost always dry firing with my G34 and keep a x300 and spare mag in pouches close by so if something happens I can quickly stop dry firing with snap caps and pop in a loaded mag and slide on the light. I am very careful though to always keep the live mag in a unique and different pouch while dry firing to avoid accidentally inserting it into the pistol while practicing.

GU

Turnkey11
11-30-09, 00:58
When things go bump in the night, I turn to Betty Lou...:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/DSC01477.jpg

SWATcop556
11-30-09, 01:05
G19 with X300 on the nightstand.

I bring the SBR in every night from the patrol car and it goes in between the bed and nightstand.

I get the SBR, wife gets the G19 from her night stand and a cell phone for 911.

My wife's Jack Russell (:rolleyes:) in addition to the alarm system.

SkiDevil
11-30-09, 01:19
I use either a Sig 220 in .45 ACP or a 226 in 9mm. -Always have one or the other on or near me.

I keep all of the long-guns locked in a safe. Time permitting I will unlock the safe and grab the shotgun; a Wilson's Standard Model Remington 870 12 GA/ loaded in the safe with 6 shells of 00 Buck.

If the SHTF I keep a few rifle mags loaded on the top shelf of the safe ready to go.

SkiDevil

Spade
11-30-09, 01:46
I keep my XD .45 either on me on near the bed while sleeping.

Tornado_Racing
11-30-09, 02:17
My dogs wake up the house, the XDM9 w/Hornaday Critical Defense sits in the night stand next to the bed, and the M4 Carbine w/55 grain TAP as the back up next to the nightstand.

My dogs are actually the first line, this gives me time to "lock-n-load" straight out of bed. The wife gets the pistol and makes the 911 call. I grab the rifle and follow the dogs.

Thank God i've never had to "lock-n-load" in the middle of the night.

VSP733
11-30-09, 02:23
G19 with X300 on the nightstand.

I bring the SBR in every night from the patrol car and it goes in between the bed and nightstand.

I get the SBR, wife gets the G19 from her night stand and a cell phone for 911.

My wife's Jack Russell (:rolleyes:) in addition to the alarm system.

Haha, the Jack Russell is an "energetic" breed to say the least. Our last preacher had one and that thing had more energy that a two year old with a hershey bar.

jtb0311
11-30-09, 02:34

This. I carry a bobtailed Commander and keep it in the nightstand. An 870 with #4 shot is only a few steps away.

88redryder88
11-30-09, 03:37
My 1911 and surefire 6p are always on my nightsand while my Beretta 96 and AR are next to my dresser...

standsalone
11-30-09, 04:15
well they have to get past my GSD to meet me with my 1911 w/tlr2 and my wife with a 226... I also keep my dirty ATC lagana tactical hawk in the gap between my nightstand and my bed... lol just in case i am feeling mean...lol

ps: my wife has recently decided you she wants to upgrade to a nice bare bones 870 , so after xmas that will be in the mix as well!

Gombey
11-30-09, 04:29
My HK45c, the only gun I own.....right now :D

dirksterg30
11-30-09, 06:41
Right now its an M&P9c with the full-sized 17rd. mag, loaded with 147gr. Ranger Bonded; as soon as I finish breaking in my M&P full-size, that will take over.

ThirdWatcher
11-30-09, 07:04
Colt 6520

HD1911
11-30-09, 07:10
SIG P226 w/ X300 on nightstand and my M4 Carbine standing in the small gap between my bed and nightstand.

Pinder
11-30-09, 07:12
1911 with 230 Gr JHP On the bedstand, Mossy 590 with 8 - OOBuck right below, and cell phone right next to both.

seb5
11-30-09, 07:17
Early warning, ferocious sounding Dachshund
First bite, very protective Akita
Then's it's a Glock 34 with a TLR as a dedicated HD weapon
If I had time for the safe and/or needed it, it's the AR w/Scout light, T-1, etc.

CarlosDJackal
11-30-09, 10:59
I have all three available. It all depends on the evolving situation.

uwe1
11-30-09, 11:04
S&W MP15 with an Aimpoint H1 as an optic, Fenix LED light mounted at 11 o'clock, unloaded leaning on the nightstand. 2 30 round P-Mags loaded with 69 gr. Prvi Partizan HPBT Match on the nightstand.

kittyhawk
11-30-09, 11:13
I keep a Glock 22 with nite sites with a Glock lite mounted in my bed stand also a Surefire Z2 lite and a cell phone.
I also have my KISS AR ready with 30 rounds of 64 gr pp to back the glock up.
Then there is the wife's M&P-9 with a lite in her bed stand and last is the Giant attack Cat on the foot of the bed to pur them to sleep........:D

SWATcop556
11-30-09, 11:18
Haha, the Jack Russell is an "energetic" breed to say the least. Our last preacher had one and that thing had more energy that a two year old with a hershey bar.

Dog came with the wife when we made it "official."

That thing runs nonstop 24/7 unless it is sleeping. I'm subscribing to the finite-beat theory and hope they are running low. :D

(actually it a good dog and growing on me ;))

DragonDoc
11-30-09, 11:39
I keep a AR next to the bed. Train as you fight I always say.

C4IGrant
11-30-09, 11:44
I was just curious as to what everyone actually has as there primary home defense weapon.

My go to gun is my Remington 870

Thanks
Shane

Suppressed SBR is my choice.

My question is, have you ever taken a shotgun course (specifically one geared toward CQB)?

C4

Cameron
11-30-09, 11:47
Whichever of these two I can get my hands on first. Probably have the Glock more readily available but my preference would obviously be to have the carbine up and running first.

LMT 10.5" SBR with red dot sight and light
Glock 19 with light

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4150748748_d2aae9a944.jpg

Shotguns are an inferior alternative to a good carbine.

Cameron

Palmguy
11-30-09, 11:48
9mm Glocks, a 34 and a pair of 19s are both nearby with a few extra 17 rounders available. 34 wears a Procyon (probably going to switch over to an X300 in the near future); all have identical sights/triggers/controls. Wife knows how to run them as well.

Jer
11-30-09, 11:58
Reading this thread /my first thought is that there are a lot of people who aren't real sure what they are going to go with and that could cost precious time when seconds matter. My second thought is there are a lot of people with a lot of guns laying around and that's not a real good idea either.

I have a G17 that remains bedside unless I have a range day or competition. If something goes bump in the night I grab that and a custom flaslight. My wife grabs her Glock, her cell phone and the dogs (if possible) and heads to the bathroom to call 911. She knows to describe me and make sure dispatch forwards the description and the fact that I'm armed to first responders. Whatever is out there can be taken care of w/18rds of Hornady Critical Defense and if I decide otherwise (not real likely) I can fight my way back to the safe to retreive the suppressed SBR w/Hornady TAP and too much stuff to list. Bottom line is that a G17 is quick, mobile, has plenty of ammo and will go bang every time. Should something happen to me and they get back to the master bedroom they have no guns to get to and god have mercy on their soul because my wife is a WAY better shot with a handgun than I am and she'll defend her cat-like dogs with every round in it.

I suggest making your decision now and lock the rest up. The odds of a home invasion happening to you are slim enough but the odds of a situation where you need more than a reliable handgun are astronomic. Either way make your decision now and practice it withy your significant other from time to time as this is the most important part. Much like a fire drill it helps you remain calm and act with precision in the event it's ever the real deal.

theJanitor
11-30-09, 12:04
even though i'm a die-hard 1911 guy, i just can't bear to attach a rail/light to one, so my nightstand gun is an m&p9.

C4IGrant
11-30-09, 12:18

Cameron

Vickers is that you??? :D

Thank GOD I didn't say that. ;)

C4

Cameron
11-30-09, 12:25
Vickers is that you??? :D

I am never surprised how much Larry agrees with me...

Thank GOD I didn't say that. ;)

C4

I know you wanted to. :D

Cameron

jmp45
11-30-09, 12:27
M&P 9.. Thanks again Grant.. :D

FN in MT
11-30-09, 12:46
My ex duty gun SIG 229 in .357 SIG in the nightstand, with a 6P light. Five feet away in the closet is my AK 74 w/30 rd mag.

Way back in the early 1990's when the "Freemen" anti G movement was big I received several threatening calls, and even had a dead rattler in my mailbox one day. I was the resident State Trooper so I was the ONLY vestige of Govt for them to play with.

I REALLY armed up then, and got the wife trained up to speed as well. We even had an Electrician buddy of mine who wired in a panel in the bedroom that allows me to turn on or off all of the outside security lights. Replaced a few less than optimal doors, etc.

Found out who the local idiots were through a phone trap...we quickly came to an "understanding" after a little interpersonal contact. No further issues.

I think a person should be prepared and have a plan.

FN in MT

Macx
11-30-09, 12:53
Reading this thread /my first thought is that there are a lot of people who aren't real sure what they are going to go with and that could cost precious time when seconds matter. My second thought is there are a lot of people with a lot of guns laying around and that's not a real good idea either.

I have a G17 that remains bedside unless I have a range day or competition. If something goes bump in the night I grab that and a custom flaslight. My wife grabs her Glock, her cell phone and the dogs (if possible) and heads to the bathroom to call 911. She knows to describe me and make sure dispatch forwards the description and the fact that I'm armed to first responders. Whatever is out there can be taken care of w/18rds of Hornady Critical Defense and if I decide otherwise (not real likely) I can fight my way back to the safe to retreive the suppressed SBR w/Hornady TAP and too much stuff to list. Bottom line is that a G17 is quick, mobile, has plenty of ammo and will go bang every time. Should something happen to me and they get back to the master bedroom they have no guns to get to and god have mercy on their soul because my wife is a WAY better shot with a handgun than I am and she'll defend her cat-like dogs with every round in it.

I suggest making your decision now and lock the rest up. The odds of a home invasion happening to you are slim enough but the odds of a situation where you need more than a reliable handgun are astronomic. Either way make your decision now and practice it withy your significant other from time to time as this is the most important part. Much like a fire drill it helps you remain calm and act with precision in the event it's ever the real deal.

I don't know if you were responding to me, but I guess I could have been more clear. When I am home, I put the pistol I have most recently carried on the table nearest my right hand, to where I normally sit when home. The other pistol is usually on the nightstand, sometimes they both end up on the table . . . but then I will always carry (at least) one into the bedroom when I go to bed. My safe is less than seven feet from my far shoulder when I am in bed. When I am home, the safe doors are unlocked/ open . . . this is a condo, not first or second floor. There is one door to worry about. Our children are kept out of the bedrooms via baby gate unless cribbed (25 months and 1 month). I married a hippy peacenik (opposites attracted), she doesn't count any more than my younger child for home defense. Between 17th -23rd of Nov two Rapes, a Robbery, and an Ag Assault all reported within 2 blocks of home. On the 19th we had a home invasion inside this building. It is a yucky place to live, but it is where I am right now. Always a handgun close at hand, I carry two (one at a time) most frequently (depending on where I am going and how I am dressing) & the safe is open if I am home, it gets locked even if I am just running to the grocery. Everything in the safe is ready to go.

RancidSumo
11-30-09, 13:09
It is interesting to compare the results of this poll compared to the results of a similar poll I started on the 21st over on THR. The results there are:
Handgun-56.86%
Shotgun-30.39%
Rifle-9.8%
Nothing-2.94%

That is out of 102 votes.

Sam
11-30-09, 13:12
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/J-K_004.jpg

The shiny one is my first in most cases.

RogerinTPA
11-30-09, 13:38
M&P45 W/night sights and TRL-1 light.

SeriousStudent
11-30-09, 14:12
I live alone. I'm not investigating any unusual noises. The popo can do that, after a 911 call from the cell phone. The insurance company can buy me a new TV.

There is a Colt 6920 with Surefire X300 at 12:00 on a DD M4 rail, with a Aimpoint H-1 and Vicker's sling. It sits right next to the bed, with a PMag loaded with Hornady 75-grain 5.56 TAP rounds.

The bedroom door is a solid-core wooden one, and stays locked with a deadbolt at night. Anything coming through that door without my permission keeps getting a round center of mass until they re-evaluate their career choice.

And for more portability, there is a G-19 with night sights and an X300 as well. It's full of Winchester Ranger hollowpoints.

whiterabbit05
11-30-09, 14:16

Cameron

For long range, yes, otherwise, no.

C4IGrant
11-30-09, 14:18
Found out who the local idiots were through a phone trap...we quickly came to an "understanding" after a little interpersonal contact. No further issues.

I think a person should be prepared and have a plan.

FN in MT

Ya, like the muzzle of my gun in their mouth type of "interpersonal contact!"

C4

C4IGrant
11-30-09, 14:27

The AR does long range AND short range very well. It also has less penetration than a shotgun (slug or buckshot).

You could make the case that a shotgun loaded up with birdshot would work very well at room distances and not worry about killing someone in the next room.

The problem is that once, you have more than a normal room distance between you and the badguy, the birdshot sucks as a defensive load.

For everyone using a SG for HD, I would HIGHLY suggest getting some REAL SG training (in a shoot house if possible). Why? Well a SG is a really LOOOOONG weapon and not knowing how to shorten it up will cause you a lot of issues. The other thing I noticed is that the MAJORITY of people running pump guns in the shoot house short stroked it during the stress of shooting PAPER TARGETS. This should be viewed as a clue. ;)

So you say that you have an auto loading SG huh. Right. Unless your SG starts with the letter "B" it is most likely un-reliable. Even if it starts with the letter "B", you need to run it through a serious SG class so you can see if there are any bugs in it.

C4

Irish
11-30-09, 14:31

There is a lot of information that will contradict your statement. Please do a search and see what kind of information you can find when comparing the 2 before making such a statement, it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

lil'Zeus
11-30-09, 14:31
Suppressed SBR is my choice.

My question is, have you ever taken a shotgun course (specifically one geared toward CQB)?

C4

I have not actually been fortunate enought to take a class, but watch a lot of various videos on the internet, and take from them what will work for me... I do practice with it at my local range. I have found that even though I am right handed, I want to sell my right handed 870 Marine Mag and get a left handed model (something like a new LH 870 Police)...It makes for easier tactical reloads with a shotgun IMO...

I would like to go to gunsite sometime and go through their shotgun course!

I have a Glock 23 on the night stand ready to go, but would prefer to get the shotty if time allowed..

Cameron
11-30-09, 15:02

I have to disagree. I can't think of any circumstances where a shotgun is superior to a good carbine in a fight. Size, weight, recoil, ammunition, speed, followup shots.... no doubt that a one shot delivered from each can stop a threat, but gun fights inside have a tendency to not follow a one shot stop script.

I have a lot of professional training and experience with a shotgun, pump and semi, and many thousands of rounds through short barreled variants designed specifically for close quarters. I have run drills for hours with the shotgun and the carbine used for clearing structures and the carbine beats the shotgun every time.

Now I understand that a shotgun delivers a lethal payload in one shot, so does a carbine, and if an intruder stumbles through your door one shot from each may end the threat immediately and a performance tie would result. However, when you start making multiple shots, shooting while moving, shooting from cover reloading etc the modern fighting carbine has a much higher degree of utility.

While I own excellent and very reliable examples of both pump and semi-auto shotguns and they are left loaded in the safe (just in case), but I would always prefer a carbine in a fight at any range.

Actually think of any first world modern law enforcement or military entry teams and you will see a dominance of short carbines, sub-machine guns, and perhaps only one shotgun usually used for breaching or delivery of less lethal rounds.

Cameron

RPD03
11-30-09, 15:09
My go to is an AR while my wife chooses to use a glock 19 when I work nights (she's more confidet with it right now), both have surefire x300's with the rifle having and aimpoint H1 as well. We always have at least one handheld light as well as a charged cell phone at hand.

C4IGrant
11-30-09, 15:12
I have not actually been fortunate enought to take a class, but watch a lot of various videos on the internet, and take from them what will work for me... I do practice with it at my local range. I have found that even though I am right handed, I want to sell my right handed 870 Marine Mag and get a left handed model (something like a new LH 870 Police)...It makes for easier tactical reloads with a shotgun IMO...

I would like to go to gunsite sometime and go through their shotgun course!

I have a Glock 23 on the night stand ready to go, but would prefer to get the shotty if time allowed..

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=506775#post506775

C4

5pins
11-30-09, 15:20
I can't think of any circumstances where a shotgun is superior to a good carbine in a fight.

Obviously your home has never been invaded by a flock of grouse.:D

Cameron
11-30-09, 15:31
Consider that the longest shotgun shown here still has less than 1/3 of the rounds available than the AR

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/4150795778_ee9b04b700.jpg

Then consider the simple physics involved in moving the muzzle to a target. I would suggest practicing with each and then running close range drills on multiple targets, it will soon be self evident which gets hits on target faster.

Cameron

QuickStrike
11-30-09, 15:38
My CCW glock 19 is easiest to reach. Although I would prefer the 6920 w/ TAP ammo if I have a couple of extra seconds.

Shawn.L
11-30-09, 15:39
Right now its my 1911.

I believe the carbine (AR) is a much better choice of hardware, and while I shoot it rather well I have had no formal carbine training. I have had numerous handgun courses. So I use what I am trained to use and most familiar with.

What we are presented with in the defensive use of arms is a software, not a hardware problem. I simply dont have the software to solve it using the best tool for the job....... yet.

Next year I will take one or two hangun courses, but I plan on making carbine training a priority so that I can be properly versed in its use to utilze it in the home.

William B.
11-30-09, 15:44
My first choice is my SW1911PD, but I keep my 6920 near by and loaded with frangible rounds just in case...

Detective_D
11-30-09, 15:46
My go-to is the SBR I have mounted on the wall just inside of the closet door just a couple of feet from where I sleep.

When I am not here, my wife sleeps with her .380 on the dresser, as she has not practiced enough with the AR to be comfortable with it in the middle of the night.
~D

fog0fwar
11-30-09, 15:57
Mine is a S&W M&P .45 and a surefire LED light, along with my cell phone....

The M&P is my issue weapon and it's with me always...

Fog

Pilgrim
11-30-09, 16:01
A pistol with a light on it is the first go to "What the heck was that noise!" gun. Using either a S&W M&P or a Glock in trhis role.

If I spot a threat at a great distance then it's an AR.

As to shotguns... I would have to agree with Cameron... I'm not the biggest fan of the shotgun. Where I live, I need the ability to reach, and the shotgun would be mostly ineffective.

M16MANIAC
11-30-09, 16:19
Either a S&W M&P compact 45 with light or Glock 19 with light/laser and AAC Evo 9 silencer so I won't wake up the wife if I shoot some one:D.
Also these are just to get me to my safe so I can deploy my 6.8 AR with SF light.

Ed L.
11-30-09, 16:31
My first go to gun depends on what is closest by, and the situation as to whether I have time to get something better.

Depending how I am dressed, I may be in busienss dress with a Kahr PM-9 in the pocket; I may have a S&W J frame in the pocket with a Glock 19 in a holster or fanny pack (again, depending how I am dressed) or I may have either the Kahr PM-9 or S&W Jframe in my pocker with the Glock 19 or HK USP-40 nearby, or I may have time to grab the hidden AR. Also, the gun on my person may be an M&P or a 1911 if I am going shooting with that.

What I will first go for depends on the circumstances. If I have a gun on my person (which I do if my pants are on), or within easy reach (which I do if I am in pajamas) I am not going to turn and run to try to get a better/more capable gun if doing so exposes my back to get shot, stabbed or jumped.

Here is a look at what I have around the house or on my person without opening the safe.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/readyguns.jpg

lil'Zeus
11-30-09, 16:40
Grant~
I appreciate the link. Interesting outlook on it. I do see how a carbine could be a bit quicker in this situation, but my carbine isn't set up for that type of stuff yet...It is pretty much stock with many upgrades planned for it.

I shoot a pistol very well and am really confident with that. I also shoot skeet and sporting clays, and have shot them competitvely...I know it isn't anything like what we are discussing, but I do feel confident with a shotty...

Great conversations everyone....lets keep it going...

Thanks
Shane

AllanRR
11-30-09, 17:45
My Glock 19 with X300 plus a SF C2 LED Centurion. Both are on my bedside table.

noops
11-30-09, 17:53
I'm on with the other people here for Carbine. I also have formal training on all three platform types (although I doubt nearly as much SG time as Cameron), and Carbine comes ahead for me. All I can say is get training, and then spend some time thinking about your plan and your weapons security which is something not mentioned here.

While most guns stay in my safe, and my pistol on my person, I found that cruiser-type rifle racks work well for my situation. I keep my N4 low pro with G2 light in a QD mount, aimpoint, and redi-mod work in both car and house using a Santa Cruz rifle rack. When home, I just undo the handcuff (car is electronic lock). When I get up I just shut the big cuff. Light and aimpoint are obvious. Redimod because if I'm at home or car, I'm not likely wearing the ninja vest or much else for that matter (except in the car of course).

Caveat: Bigfoot style stocks will not fit into the base of an SC rifle rack. LMT SOPMOD, VLTOR MODSTOCK, etc. CTR, and smaller fit fine. I got an EMOD to fit by using the shorter battery tubes from a Modstock on an EMOD.

Argus
11-30-09, 18:10
I voted pistol because either my G26 or G19 is always at hand. But the 6920 is not too far away, and is what I would want given enough time.

texag
11-30-09, 20:09
DDM4 with a H1 and X300. Sits by my bed with a mag full of BH 69gr match hps, bolt closed, chamber empty, safety off. My M&P9pro with tlr1 is on the nightstand in condition 1 with a reload next to it.

I fully plan on the sound of me racking the charging handle scaring off any home invaders.;)

drsal
11-30-09, 20:19
glock 17 with light and 'happy stick' and the three dogs ......

cfrazier
11-30-09, 20:39
Sig 220 w/ x200. Loaded with SXT and spare mags on duty belt hanging on door.

vigilant2
11-30-09, 20:58
Every night there is either my Glock 19 or Springfield XD45 by the bed, both fitted
with a TLR-1 weaponlight. Interestingly, sometime in June of this year around 2am
I awoke to a PBSO sheriff's helicopter hovering over my home shining his searchlight all over my home and the development I live in. I live on the edge of
the Palm Bch section of the Florida everglades with close to 2 acres of land. Use to
be totally rural but is now solidly suburban, still lots of woods and bush to hide in.
The police chopper made approximately 8 passes over about a 40min time span around our development and
hit my house with the searchlight numerous times for long periods, they were looking hard for someone.
Anyway, I found myself discarding the handguns and retrieved the 6920 with
Hornady Tap 75gr. I pretty much stayed with the 6920, Aimpoint M3 on, bolt locked back, full magazine every night for about the next week before returning to the handguns as first defense.

Darkop
11-30-09, 22:11
1911 under my pillow and an M4 behind the bedroom door, 2 steps away. When I step to the hall I'll have both.

Until that day,
Darkop

ra2bach
11-30-09, 22:28
my bump-in-the-night gun is my SIG P226 w/ 20rd mag., sportin' Trijicons and an Insight WX150 light. I also keep a spare mag and Surefire G2 with it.

I figure this will open up enough of a hole to get to my Armalite 14.5" carbine with Aimpoint and TLR1 attached.

mattjmcd
11-30-09, 23:00
1-Dog. 2-Phone. 3-M&P9.

Numbers 2 and 3 are interchangeable, I guess.

ra2bach
11-30-09, 23:09
1-Dog. 2-Phone. 3-M&P9.

Numbers 2 and 3 are interchangeable, I guess.

depends on the dog, don't it? ;)

koji
11-30-09, 23:52
G19 w/ G17 mags, a good wepon light, a cell phone, and a spare mag are in/on the nightstand.

Having a loaded rifle or shotgun out and about isn't really practical for me, but if needed I could get to them in about 10 steps. If I had time I'd grab my BCM Middy that I keep in the safe with the T1 on.

Brad519
12-01-09, 00:41

I

You may or may not be referring to my post about having guns out. But I am single, so no chance of kids finding my weapons. I don't leave guns out when I'm not at home, they are either with me or in the safe. I have my duty weapon with a light on the night stand. The two on the dresser are my pocket pistol and my ankle pistol. I can assure you that I'm going to grab the duty weapon (glock 22) and if I have time I'm going to the safe to get one of the AR's. The dog will let me know if anyone is around the house.
So maybe I took this the wrong way and maybe you weren't talking about my post, but I can assure you that I know what to do if, God forbid, it happens at my residence and the pistols on the dresser aren't going to matter cause if they make it that far, I've already lost.

C4IGrant
12-01-09, 08:38
Grant~
I appreciate the link. Interesting outlook on it. I do see how a carbine could be a bit quicker in this situation, but my carbine isn't set up for that type of stuff yet...It is pretty much stock with many upgrades planned for it.

I shoot a pistol very well and am really confident with that. I also shoot skeet and sporting clays, and have shot them competitvely...I know it isn't anything like what we are discussing, but I do feel confident with a shotty...

Great conversations everyone....lets keep it going...

Thanks
Shane

You should ALWAYS use the tool that you are most competent with. So if that is a .22 Revolver, then so be it.

If you have never received formal training with a pistol, you might be more of a liability than you realize. Shooting pistols well under stress is very hard.

C4

mattjmcd
12-01-09, 10:00
depends on the dog, don't it? ;)

Sure! Mine is a good warning system, though. He is generally very quiet unless he is "talking" to me or he senses something out of the ordinary. So when he starts barking, I pay attention. (so does my neighbor, but that's another story)

sjohnny
12-01-09, 10:22
If I'm awake I have either a j-frame in my pocket or my issued SIG in an IWB holster. So I guess during those times whatever is on me is my go to. I have a shotgun loaded with Federal Tactical 00 in an accessible place that I can grab if I believe there to be someone in or around the house. Whenever I get my carbine built (almost half-way there) and get it wrung out and do some training with it the shotgun will be relegated to second string/bird hunting. I train with my shotgun and have practiced moving around the house with it in the dark. It has a TLR-1 and a sling on it and I also practice transitioning from long gun to handgun.

JC0352
12-01-09, 10:53
USP .40 and a flashlight

...and a little mutt sleeping in the living room.

lalakai
12-01-09, 11:28
pistol w/rail light when i check noises in the house. M4 if i'm forced back into the bedroom, or the "noise" is elevated on the danger scale.

dkc4u
12-01-09, 12:25
My FNP-40 with 3 loaded 14 round magazines is always on the nightstand. I don't have any kids or anyone else sleeping in other the rooms in the house so I would be on the phone with the bedroom door blocked. Although I have been through training classes the idea of clearing the house is a no-go for me if given a choice.

SteyrAUG
12-01-09, 12:43
No poll option for SMG.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8541/p1003832nh1.jpg

JRI
12-01-09, 15:21
The very first one I can get my hands on. Pistol, Rifle or Shotgun is not important, having it in my hand is.

canucksvt
12-01-09, 16:50
I have a M&P45 with an Insight Technology M3 attached that is loaded up with 230gr Speer Gold Dots on the nightstand.

Ridge_Runner_5
12-01-09, 20:58
11x Super-X rifled slugs...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/GSG/98a62c83.jpg

Preferred User
12-01-09, 21:37
1) Giant Schnauzer. Never barks until after she has assessed the situation. If she could talk I am sure she would say, "I might have heard something, you humans wait here until I investigate." Kind of freaks me out when she stirs in the middle of the night and goes to check things out.

2) Which is when I reach for my Sig SP2022/TLR-1 with Glaser and DPX rounds.

3) Which gets me downstairs to the safe.

30 cal slut
12-01-09, 21:44
carbine at the ready, loaded with m855.

the laws pertaining to deadly force in my state are a little weird.

i can use deadly force to prevent unlawful entry into my home. however, once the bad guy is in my home, i have a duty to retreat. :rolleyes:

to that end, i know what m855 will do if i have to shoot through the front door.

mattpittinger
12-01-09, 22:37
M&P 9 on the night stand with my surefire sitting next to it. Leaned up against the nightstand is my AR loaded with 55gr TAP and the RDS is on. That is if they can make it through my 15 pounds of fury named Daisy:).........oh yeah and a bad ass alarm system!

Ghostface03
12-01-09, 23:11
My Xd 40.

350_eight08
12-02-09, 10:52
Glock 17 with an x200 for me.

theJanitor
12-02-09, 11:00
my wife. when she yells, time stops. and the blast pressure is debilitating. i feel sorry for the intruder she screams at.

seriously.

on a lighter note, i voted for pistol

350_eight08
12-02-09, 11:26
my wife. when she yells, time stops. and the blast pressure is debilitating. i feel sorry for the intruder she screams at.

seriously.

I know the very predicament you speak of as I know you and your wife well. Therefore, I shall deem this post classified so that you may not share the same fate any intruder shall endure.:p

SeriousStudent
12-02-09, 12:02

seriously.

Chortle. You must be that long-lost brother-in-law......

bones
12-02-09, 12:03
Shotgun with 00 Buck - :)

larry0071
12-02-09, 12:12
I have a 1st line of defense that eats and shits. 100 lbs of fur and teeth tends to sleep on the landing of the steps coming up to the 2nd floor bedrooms.

That would be the intruder alarm as well as 1st line defense. While he is making his scene I would stand up from bed and not take one step..... my Glock 17 is on top of the book case beside the head of my bed along with a LED flashlight. Not a high dollar light, just a Dorcy 3-AAA light, but its plenty bright to blind you in the dark.

I would take 3 steps and be to the end of the computer desk that has the Mossberg 500 against it, and on top of the desk is 6 rounds of 00 buck.

That would be the fall back, if in retreat from the hallway/stairwell with the Glock 17 in hand, jump into the room and grab the shootgun that my wife just jammed 6 shells into. She knows the drill.

loupav
12-02-09, 12:12
HK USP 45 w/NS & X200.
Remmie 870 is close by.

Roklok
12-02-09, 16:35
Bone stock, Colt 1911, Commander.

Looey
12-02-09, 18:24
Pitbull, Dalmatian, 1911 and god help them if the Pekingese gets involved.

:p:p:p
German Shepherd, if he survives that i have a G-17 with X300, or DD M4 with X300, or Benelly M1

woody d
12-03-09, 12:53
2 American Pit Bull Terriers, a Glock 19, and an 870 loaded with buckshot

ToddG
12-03-09, 12:55
My brain.

woody d
12-03-09, 14:28
good answer^^^^

Jason_R
12-03-09, 15:10
Right now it's:

870 Police
HK45
Sig 220
SR-15

Whatever one of those is close by...a pistol is always near. :D

spankaveli
12-03-09, 16:04
My brain.

:D

sorry, i had to :o

warpigM-4
12-03-09, 16:44
Can't really vote as I use both a shotgun and a handgun.

I voted shotgun as my 870 is always with in arm reach but i keep my sig 230 on top of my safe also