PDA

View Full Version : Magazine issues....

Hawkeye
03-08-07, 20:51
Has anyone ever heard of or experienced any issues with long term loading of Glock magazines? Any problems with pressure affecting the feed lips?

nyeti
03-08-07, 21:38
No, but I have cracked a follower and cracked a piece off a feed lip. THis was from dropping them, not wear. I have always used a January/June standard on my duty mags and off duty mags (the ones that stay loaded all the time) to swap them for a second set of mags. THis leaves them loaded for six months, and then 6 months unloaded. Its worked so far.

Dport
03-08-07, 22:08
At an LAV class last year he recommended downloading Glock magazines by one to preserve the spring.

USMC03
03-08-07, 22:21
Found a couple fully loaded Glock 17 / 34 mags in my SWAT locker a couple months ago. They had been fully loaded for the last 5 years. I have been using them as training mags since I found them. No issues at all.

As a side note, I replace the factory mag springs with Wolff extra power mag springs.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

mark5pt56
03-09-07, 08:26
Like him or not, about 15 years ago Chuck Taylor recommended the down loading of one round on the Glock mags. He found they would nearly last forever like that.

I have three dedicated Glock mags for training, stock. They have at least 25k through them and they work 100%. DOn't waste your money on after market springs and such. All original parts are in these mags. If you are buying your own ammo, very doubtful you will wear them out.

My duty mags are for that only, I test them periodically.

Mark

Hawkeye
03-09-07, 08:35
Good/interesting info. No issues anywhere with feed lip separations from being loaded that anyone has heard of or experienced?

Lumpy196
03-09-07, 10:07
Good/interesting info. No issues anywhere with feed lip separations from being loaded that anyone has heard of or experienced?

Ive never seen it, and Ive seen A LOT of well used Glock mags.

Hawkeye
03-09-07, 10:13
Excellent.

LOKNLOD
03-09-07, 20:25
When I got ahold of my Father-in-Law's gen-2 G19 recently, it had both magazines (the old NFML style) both loaded with 15 rounds. I know it has not been fired since he took possession so they'd been loaded for 13-14 years and they are like new, and worked and fed well. No discernible weakening of the springs or other issues.

nyeti
03-09-07, 23:47
I do down load one round on my mags.

nsabjg
03-10-07, 12:01
When I load my Glocks I put a full mag in and load a round from that mag, I never put another in that mag and load all backup mags with one light.

f.2
04-28-08, 11:34
USMC03, OT, but where do you purchase your Wolff magazine springs for Glock magazines? Looks like MidwayUSA is cheaper for one, but the Wolff site has packs of 3 and 10 with better prices.

Also, I heard that the G26 10 round magazines use G19 springs, and Wolff lists a G26 spring (9 or 10 round, don't know what a G26 9 round mag is) - so what spring do you use with a G26 with a +2 Glock manufacture mag extension?

Found a couple fully loaded Glock 17 / 34 mags in my SWAT locker a couple months ago. They had been fully loaded for the last 5 years. I have been using them as training mags since I found them. No issues at all.

As a side note, I replace the factory mag springs with Wolff extra power mag springs.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Joe Mamma
04-28-08, 13:02

I haven't heard of any.

On a side note, just in case you didn't know, there are different feed lip designs (generations) for Glock mags. So, it's possible to have different factory mags for the same model Glock.

Joe Mamma

markm
04-28-08, 13:22
Wow! Interesting how many other people also download their Glock mags by at least one round. I thought I was the only OCD nut that did this.

I do have a few Gen 3 glock 22 mags that the polymer near the feed lips is pulling apart. These are my two dedicated range mags. One of them was giving me small problems that last time I shot it.

Oscar 319
04-28-08, 13:44
I have 3 G17 mags that have been fully loaded for the last four years and are shot once or twice a year (wondering the same thing myself). I have not had any issues with them. I have kept fully loaded G22 mags for several years, though I periodically throw a new mag into rotation and deligate old ones to training. No issues.

DM-SC
04-28-08, 14:25
I have 5 G19 mags dating back to 1998 (gun and mags). They still have the original springs in them though I did replace the followers at some point...

The only time any of them have been unloaded is right after I've shot all the ammo through the gun. ;)

This gun and those mags have been 100% (yes, not a single malfunction). :D

STS
04-28-08, 14:55
I too download by one round. I have three Glock 19 mags that have been literally left loaded for just under 5 years now. These were the first Glock mags I ever had, they came with my Glock 19 when I bought it. When they have not been in actual use at the range, they have been loaded with carry ammo. While 3 mags is nothing in the grand scheme of things, they have held up fine and continue to work 100%.

RD62
04-28-08, 15:51
I've never seen an issue with any of my former Dept's G22 mags from being loaded. And as most know a lot of LE mags get carried alot and used only for yearly quals. None of my personal GLOCK mags have ever had an issue from remaining loaded either. Just my experience though...

-RD62

bullitt5172
04-29-08, 20:48
I download one round to make them easier to insert when doing emergency/tac reloads. I have never seen or heard of cracked lips on Glock mags.

I wish 1911 mags were as reliable (and cheap)!