PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory 1911 MC Operator loose light

Terryw123
11-30-09, 00:13
I have a Springfield Armory 1911 MC Operator. I recently bought a surefire for it. After very little shooting the light is very loose. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed?

usaffarmer
11-30-09, 00:50
My Kimber Warrior is the same way with the surefire lights.....

doughnut
11-30-09, 01:54
Both lights (TLR-1 and Insight M3) I tried on my MC Operator fit loosely. They were tight side-to-side but sloppy front to back. I just firgured the 1913 was slightly out of spec. It still worked great but the situation was annoying.

kaltblitz
11-30-09, 02:35
Are you using the "P" plate or "U" plate? It should be the P plate.

Use a little clear nail polish or Loctite and tighten the screws in hard. That'll keep it somewhat tight.

SWATcop556
11-30-09, 03:48
The surefire lights come with the Universal "U" locking bar installed.

If you are mounting the light on a 1913 rail you will need to install the M1913 Picatinny "P" locking bar for proper fit.

There is also a tension screw on the side that will help kick the light in place if you use the more permanent RailLocl mounting setup instead of the spring operated mount. I always use the non-spring operated RailLock mount for the more sturdy lockup.

Even if you take the light on and off frequently I still prefer the non-spring RailLock.

SWATcop556
11-30-09, 03:53
Both lights (TLR-1 and Insight M3) I tried on my MC Operator fit loosely. They were tight side-to-side but sloppy front to back. I just firgured the 1913 was slightly out of spec. It still worked great but the situation was annoying.

Same for the TLR-1. Check which locking bar is installed. The TLR comes with three. Mine came with the Glock, M1913, and the Beretta 90-two. See the above post for some more info.

Terryw123
12-01-09, 11:38
Thanks for the help. It made a huge difference!!!! There is still a little rattle but I can live with it.

SWATcop556
12-01-09, 20:35
This should help with the rattle.

Remove the six rail screws and hit the tips with just a hint of blue locktite. Reattach the screws and rails but don't tighten the screws all the way down.

Apply side pressure to the rail as you attach the light. While holding the light use the provided Allen wrench to tighten the rail screws the rest of the way.

This should hold the light tighter to the rail and provide a more snug fit.

If you install the RailLock without the spring it has a screw and wedge system that, even with the RailLock removed, will hold the light tightly to the rail. This is what I use on all of my X300s on handguns and rifles.