PDA

View Full Version : Can i shot 5.56x45 in a bushy

motorolahamm
11-30-09, 09:01
Just picked up a Bushy from a friend, barrel and receiver are marked 5.56mm nato
can i really shoot 5.56 or only 223 out of this rifle? was just wondering dont want to blow myself up but. i haveno probs out of my colts or lmt

model is 16" m4 profile barrel 1x9 mp m4 XM-15 E2s

correction receiver say 223-5.56 even tho i am not worried about receiver jsut can the barrel handle it , rifle is not even a year old

THANKS guys

BigEmpty
11-30-09, 09:03
Yes, it will shoot 5.56 just fine.

CaptainDooley
11-30-09, 15:30
If it's like most of the other Bushmasters out there, then probably not. Even though the barrel says 5.56, BM and others are notorious for having tight chambers. You could get it reamed to 5.56 though.

An Undocumented Worker
11-30-09, 16:25
Shoot a few hundred rounds of 5.56 nato through it and see if it has any problems. If it does, contact bushmaster.

geminidglocker
11-30-09, 16:27
I picked up a Bushy Optics Ready Carbine last year, and have ran 7500 rds. of Prvi 55gr. 5.56 through it. Most of this has been Bump-fired. I have never experienced a single stoppage or failure to function. I know something will eventually break, not because it's a Bushy, but just because rifles require parts replacement from time to time. So far the only internal modification I've made is the one-peice Mcfarland Gas Ring. The Bushy website states that this rifle comes standard with a 5.56 Chamber. I also re-did the gas key and staking, because it was a little on the light side. It had'nt come loose, I just wanted to know it was done correctly. Aside from the Prvi, I use Remington 50gr. HP in .223 for varmints. Shoots 1" 3 shot slow fire groups at 50yds, and I rarely shoot anything that far away.When my Bushy breaks or fails in any way, shape or form, you guys will be the first to hear about it.

motorolahamm
11-30-09, 17:14
thanks guys , might have to take it to anvil arms and have it checked but wanted to get your ops here 1st.

ar-junkie
11-30-09, 22:18
If it's like most of the other Bushmasters out there, then probably not. Even though the barrel says 5.56, BM and others are notorious for having tight chambers. You could get it reamed to 5.56 though.

I've yet to hear of one person hurting a bushmaster barrel marked 5.56 by using 5.56 ammo in it. I'd have it measured but really, bushmaster knows the difference between to two

CaptainDooley
12-01-09, 13:49
I've yet to hear of one person hurting a bushmaster barrel marked 5.56 by using 5.56 ammo in it. I'd have it measured but really, bushmaster knows the difference between to two

Look around, there are plenty of posts about it... Moderator Iraqgunz, who is a professional armorer had to ream about 100 of them to get them to shoot 5.56 ammo...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40558

There's plenty more, but I'm sure you can handle using the search function...

RetreatHell
12-01-09, 16:24
Look around, there are plenty of posts about it... Moderator Iraqgunz, who is a professional armorer had to ream about 100 of them to get them to shoot 5.56 ammo...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40558

There's plenty more, but I'm sure you can handle using the search function...

+1

The most common problem I think is getting popped primers that can work their way into the damnedest of places and cause malfunctions. They can get worked into the fire control group and cause a stoppage, or pretty much anywhere else. Nothing is impossible when it comes to popped primers. And the easiest way to prevent this from happening is to either buy a quality barrel in the first place, or if you already have a lower tier bushmaster that's marked ".223/5.56mm," then get the chamber reamed to ensure proper function when using 5.56mm ammo.

Here's a pic of a popped primer that actually worked it's way into the damn magazine somehow. The student was using an upper with a Bushmaster barrel that was marked ".223/5.56mm" and was shooting 5.56mm ammo. No one in this carbine class that I was at had EVER seen that happen, including the instructor Jeff Gonzales, who has seen countless popped primers from students shooting 5.56 ammo out of lower tier brand carbines/barrels that are marked "5.56mm," but in reality are not up to their own supposed specification. Jeff recommended that the student get his chamber reamed, and that any other students with that barrel get their chambers reamed to 5.56mm spec as well to prevent this from happening to them.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/TRICON%20CC1%20Class/IMG_8380.jpg

Semper Fi,

-Paul

12-01-09, 16:40
BM might say 5.56 but in reality the chamber may not be sized correctly. Better to ream it to be sure. Or just buy a Colt.:D

motorolahamm
12-01-09, 17:12
BM might say 5.56 but in reality the chamber may not be sized correctly. Better to ream it to be sure. Or just buy a Colt.:D

yeah have a colt and a colt lower with lmt upper , but this is my first works with a bushy but could not pass it up for the price $400 and it was a friends has about 100 rnds of 223 through it

ar-junkie
12-01-09, 18:19
Popped primers are not damage to a gun. Sure it is a pain in the buttx, but that isn't damage....is it??? I mean I'm sure if you pop enough primers and get one into the barrel it could "damage" the gun.

Secondly, if I bought a gun that is marked caliber "X", and come to find out it is actually calliber "z", I'm going to where I bought it and getting my money back. That it totally BS that any company would do that, and RISK LAWSUITS, which is why I really wonder what the deal is. Bushmaster has supplied our military with weapons before. They should know what 5.56 is. Anyone in the firearms industry has to know what SAMMI spec is to make a gun. I just dont understand why a company would do that knowingfully is all I have to say. Its like if a company labled a 20 gauge shotgun with 28 gauge markings. Then when someone blows themselves up they are told "you should have known".

Also, I guess you missed my point. All I was saying is that bushmaster SHOULD know what 5.56 is. SHOULD! I don't really know.....

12-01-09, 18:53
A popped primer can, if it ends up in the right place, take the gun out of action. In a firefight this could have severe repercussions.

RetreatHell
12-01-09, 19:04
A popped primer can, if it ends up in the right place, take the gun out of action. In a firefight this could have severe repercussions.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with it damaging the gun at all, although I'm sure that's a possibility. As 6933 alluded to, I would only be concerned with trying to shoot and kill some scumbag in your hallway or wherever with your Bushy, using high quality 5.56mm ammo intended for eliminating oxygen thieves from this planet, and you get a malf while trying to take care of business. If the popped primer gets into the fire control group during a gunfight, then "tap, rack, bang" takes on a whole new meaning because you're gonna have a club in your hands.

The only way to clear that is to open up the carbine and get a flashlight to figure out where the popped primer wound up. But you usually have no idea it's a popped primer clogging your shit up until you've tried everything else and it didn't work. Not a big deal when you're out punching paper, but if you have intentions of possibly ever using your carbine as a fighting gun to defend yourself and your family, then it matters very much.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

jywolfe
12-01-09, 22:06
I've been doing a lot of reading here regarding the 5.56 leade specifications and wondered if you all are using an OAL gauge to determine whether it is, or is not a 5.56 chamber; and what the OAL minimum should be for 5.56.

Also, is there a specific minimum for headspace that you all find to be a minimum?

I build M14 types and this is a non issue so I don't have any experience with the dimensions on the 5.56x45. On the 7.62x51 I like 1.634 for service rifles and 1.631 to 1.632 for High Power match rifles. Generally, service rifle ammo is limited by the magazine maximum length and this length typically is well below the OAL on the chamber, even in match rifles specifically built for High Power competition.

The only variation from this is when we shot 600 yards and single load, in which case the bullet is seated out to a lands and backed off for a very slight clearance.

NATO ball and surplus is always mag length or less which even in a .223 Rem chamber provides adequate clearance to the lands. So is it the angle of the leades into the rifling or the overall clearance from ogive to the lands that is critical?

Is there a procedure you folks are using to make this determination? If so, do you mind sharing your insights?

jywolfe
m-14parts.com

MSP "Sarge"
12-03-09, 00:01
Would someone please school me. Why does not having a 5.56 chamber make the primer pop out?