PDA

View Full Version : What Ballistic Software ?

91Bravo
11-30-09, 10:35
My iPhone has 2 possible apps to process ballistic information. Knight's "Bulletflight" or "Ballistic" by Jonathan Zdziarski. Ballistic seems to be more popular but Bulletflight may be better known.

Does anyone have experience with these? Which one would you choose and why?

Thanx guys.

91Bravo
11-30-09, 10:37
I am interested in long range shooting as accurately as possible. Target shooting only.

Sniper1*
12-03-09, 09:20
Ballistic seems to be very popular! I have both and I use ballistic more than bulletflight simply because I can use the IPHY setting instead of MOA as my scopes adjust "Inches Per Hundred Yards".

On the other side Bulletflight is probably every bit as accurate as Ballistic!

For the price, get both and you decide!

91Bravo
12-14-09, 08:10
Thanx Sniper1. I am going to try Ballistic first as it seems much more popular and is more likely to have my bullet and weapon builtin. (Black Hills 68gr .223 and S&W M&P-15)

stage2
12-14-09, 08:17
I use the 5.11 Tactical Field Ops Watch....It has a Sure Shot Ballistics Calculator built into the watch. From rough guesses shooting 2" groups at 800 yards with just estimating wind-speeds, and muzzle volatility....watch also has a pretty good built in digital compass.

tampam4
12-20-09, 22:14
I use the 5.11 Tactical Field Ops Watch....It has a Sure Shot Ballistics Calculator built into the watch. From rough guesses shooting 2" groups at 800 yards with just estimating wind-speeds, and muzzle volatility....watch also has a pretty good built in digital compass.

Not my intention to thread jack, but I've seen the 5.11 watch in the NRA catalog and have tried to find photos of how the watch display works when displaying calculator data.
What information do you have to enter into the watch, and how does it display the results?

Thanks

SPDGG
12-20-09, 22:18
For any iTouch/iPhone ballistic app. I'd recommend Ballistic FTE as well, it is GTG

91Bravo
12-30-09, 17:35
I went with the "Ballistic Field Tactical Edition" by Jonathan Zdziarski. I think it cost $20. On the plus side it is the slickest piece of software I have ever used. It actually goes out and gets the local Atmospheric data, ie baro pressure, temp, humidity etc. It computes the effect of earth's rotation on bullet flight as well as the usual drop and windage. The database of bullets and loads seems very complete to me. It's resulting tables are useful and appear to be accurate given my 100 rounds of testing. The Head Up Display is great.

On the negative side - Although this is called the Field Tactical Edition there is a disclaimer in the "About" section stating "Not for use under duress or field combat situations". I hope that is truly junk added by the lawyers to cover their azzes. Also there is no weapon profiles allowed. ie barrel length etc. Muzzle velocity is there but doesn't that change for a bullet depending on the weapon. One needs to chrono each bullet thru each weapon one is using for truly accurate numbers.

I would most certainly recommend this software.

I tried to down load Knight's Bulletflight from App Store but it was no longer available??

rickp
12-31-09, 16:10
Exbal Software on any PDA works great. It will give you info on MOA Mils and other options. Everything you need.

R.

az doug
01-03-10, 17:35
On the negative side - ... Also there is no weapon profiles allowed. ie barrel length etc. Muzzle velocity is there but doesn't that change for a bullet depending on the weapon. One needs to chrono each bullet thru each weapon one is using for truly accurate numbers. ...

I purchased the same program last week. If you enter the "Trajectory" portion of the program you can select/enter your bullet data, barrel twist rate, weather conditions, muzzle velocity you chronographed, distance zeroed, sight height above the bore's axis... and save it. Basically you can have the program calculate trajectory based off all the pertinent data you entered and saved. It will compare the atmospheric conditions at the time you zeroed to the current conditions at the time you are taking the shot and factor that in its calculations. Barrel length, type of action...are not a factors, but twist rate and muzzle velocity are.

So far I am very impressed with it. My complaints are the lack of an instruction manual and the fact it will not factor lead on a moving target. At least I do not believe it will factor lead. Hopefully someone will post that I am wrong and how to do it.

Impact
01-03-10, 18:43
I like exball on my PC.

Sone
01-03-10, 19:43
I use the ballistic FTE and it works great for my use.

91Bravo
01-04-10, 08:30
Is twist rate the field "Rate of Twist" under Spin Drift ?? My M&P is 1:9. Does that mean 1 360deg twist in 9 inches. What do you put in for "Drift Is Zeroed".

You're right the software needs a manual or at least a help function that explains the fields.

91Bravo
01-04-10, 09:35
I just found this manual. //ballistic.zdziarski.com/

opksrj
01-11-10, 08:38
I really like FieldCraft but it doesn't have an iphone version available yet - supposed to in the near future

Nevermiss
01-11-10, 13:50
For any iTouch/iPhone ballistic app. I'd recommend Ballistic FTE as well, it is GTG

+1.

Just go to the iTunes store and read the reviews and then go to the website for more details if you need to. This is the best $20 I've spent in a while.

I've read that many serious long range shooters went out an bought an iTouch just to use this software.

91Bravo
01-11-10, 22:14
Better to get an iPhone rather than an iTouch. iTouch can only use local wifi to get atmospheric data. Most ranges and won't have wifi. Certainly no remote locations. an iPhone can get weather data most anywhere a cell phone will work.

Anyody try the Knight's version ??

jsharp
01-19-10, 09:29
If you don't want to load an application you can use the online calculators here -

http://www.jbmballistics.com/calculations/calculations.shtml

They're complete and accurate.

91Bravo
01-19-10, 17:52
Under the covers Ballistic appears to use the JBM algorithm. I like doing the calculations right at the range bench(or hide) on my iPhone rather than carrying a pocket full of cards or a laptop.

Anybody out there have experience with Knight's Bulletflight??

jsharp
01-19-10, 23:58
I understand. Just a thought...

Dirk Williams
01-26-10, 11:38
Ive been searching for a portable Ballistic Calculator for a few months now. I use a blackberry phone and had hoped to be able to apply a program to it for work. No luck.

Im getting older and my eyes are not what they used to be. In my travels I discovered a system that will work with my 4500 Kesterl and is under a pound in weight.

It's called MOBALL The system comes on a Texas Instruments Voyager 200 Graphic Caculator. I chose it because it's "stand alone, dedicated", links to weather, has a bigger screen, and larger buttons for easier application, RE My eye sight.

I don't know much other than what I ve read about it. Bryan Lutz created the program Ive read good stuff about him and his books. The whole gig cost 300.00 with up dates available in the future.

Hope this might help some who are looking for a stand alone mission specific gear that can be carry in the field.

D Williams

Dirk Williams
01-30-10, 00:25
MOBALL package arrived today. Easy set up, easy input. After maybe thirty to forty inputs" Practicing" with 308 338 and 300 data the insturment simply locked up. Won't confirm the solution or deny it is what the screen says?.

Not a very good start. Email in to Lutz for solution. Have to believe it's something I did or didn't do. Anyway the data I plugged in matched my dedicated range cards out to 1000y.

Anybody have experience with this program or this fella who built it.
Dirk

.30kal
01-30-10, 12:59
The Knight's iPhone app is great, get either the top of the line (military version) or the one directly below that.

Dirk Williams
02-01-10, 20:07
Well I sent back the MOBALL, Ballistic Calculator. Several emails to the group with no response. Can't support a company who dosen't stand behinfd it's product.

Opted to go with the Knight Ballistic's as suggested. I ordered a ITouch with 16 Gig Or MB somethng or other, and the military program. Thank you for your sugestion after researching the set up Im impressed.

I spoke with Kevin Boland who was also very helpful regarding the ballistic calculator. Thanks.

Dirk

91Bravo
02-03-10, 20:15
Let us know how the Knight's product works out. The only one I have experience with id Dr. Z's Ballistic and it's excellent but we are always looking for something better.

Dirk Williams
02-12-10, 13:05
Well I ve had a chance to work with my itouch and the BulletFlight Military, by Knight Arms. it's been an interesting learning curve.

The truth is I really don't have alot of experience with this kind of ballistic calculator. What Im about to write is from a laymans point of view. I always wanted to do it the old fashion way like our fore fathers.

The more I shoot my sniper guns "which is alot", the more I want to know why and how. My distance's are growing and I can hold my own with other local shooters. What I lack in shooting distance based knowledge, I make up for in determination, it's very important to me and I want to get it right.

It seems logical to me that most distance shooters go through these growing pains of just shooting, then wanting to know why x does y. That is where Im at.
First off I ordered the itouch, it arrived and is chrome in color, obviously not ideal for sneaking and peaking. Not to worry the glass is half full. I will leave my military signaling mirror home and just use this if I have to.

I loaded bullet flight via the istore for 30.00 and have played with the program for a few days now. I like it alot. The program has G1 thru G7 funtion, it does everything. I can access a bullet company data station for bullet mass and G funtion.

I did manage to erase the 308 168 data , thinking I was simply storing it. No worries my 308 has a very long barrel and my data is closer to 2700 FPS then 2600 FPS so I custom loaded that data. It's right on.

I have a Kestrel 4500 that makes loading climite conditions a snap. I'd say it's taking me 20 seconds to load and determine my come ups. When I send it I'm getting outstanding results via the data. i'd also say by this summer ill cut that 20 seconds in half with stored data.

There are two calculation funtions one is in depth, and requires multiple condition inputs, the other is called "calculate simple". it's a simple roller bar similar to a slot machine in which you role in distance, then wind speed, then wind direction and the come up appears on the botton for up/down, left/right.

Im an MOA guy shooting over S& B 5x25x56 PMII's and not into milrad or mildot stuff. That is also a funtion and can be converted to work on that system aswell.

So far i've only shot between 100 to 150 rounds out of my 308 using this set up and maybe 40 rounds out of my 338.LM, nothing out of my 300WM yet.

Im impressed with the ease of which even a non techo guy like me can get around on the data base. the itouch is a touch screen " I need an otterbox cuz this phone is danty and will not take alot of abuse".

1 to 10, I will say this program is an 8 with the only limits being my abilities and unwillingness to move ahead in the tech world.

In closing at this point I wold recommend the bullet flight program. I also like the itouch but have to wait to see if it survives this next summer.

Hope this helps some out there who want to get it right with the first shot. In our business close is never good enough.

Respectfully.
Dirk

TANGO2072
02-13-10, 18:48
Dirk,
good write up there. Got me more interested in the KAC BF and an itouch.

M4Guru
02-14-10, 17:30
I have tried Nightforce's software, Bulletflight from KAC, and Atrag from Horus. I find Atrag to be the most accurate and consistent. My old unit bought this one as well after testing every software under the sun. Dealing with Horus can be a PITA, so be ready, but it's worth it for good field ballistic software. I run mine on a little Dell PDA. We have Trimbles at work but they cost way too much for me to buy my own.

JoshNC
02-14-10, 18:34
Does one ballistics program shine above the others when using mils? I just picked up a 4-16x S&B PMII (Thanks to D. Pennington!) and would like to pick up a ballistics program.

Thanks for all the input guys. Great thread!

03humpalot
02-15-10, 04:45
I run Cheytacs old school CABC version 1.97 on a panasonic Cf-P1 PDA, i punch muzle velocity/wind speed at the gun/distance to target/und uncorrected barometric air pressure off a kestrel and its never been more than 1.5 MOA off at distances to 2350 yards.

Its stupid expensive but Dave Durham at Cheytac mentioned they are working on new versions that work on newer operating systems and it should be inexpensive.

Dirk Williams
02-16-10, 12:18
I had researched both the Horace and the Exbal. The problem for me with the Horace stuff is that every shooting school Ive attended " Long Range" Something Horace has broke, either a scope, or a program, or a cosine indicator.

That concerns me. I looked at the Exbal and almost purchased it, but talked with a fella who was in on the design of the Bullet Flight. He is a ballistition? for Berger bullets and has co written several of the programs on the market. He has also authored some high end external ballistic's books currently on the market.

The program Bullet Flight came up and he told me that it was a top contender, that he had been consulted to veryify the data and that it was very very good. "He also has his own program on the market".MOBALLE which I really liked, but sent back because I broke it somehow.

I don't know which one is better, like Humpolot mentioned 1.5 MOA at 2300 plus yards is pretty dam good at that distance. Stupid expensive doesn't work for me, I don't have that kind of money to blow.

I have to believe that COULD be a ranging issue, or any other external factor the shooter has to input from external hardware. It's all about the math, 1/2 MOA at 1000 is pretty dam good math in my mind especially after you consider that we the shooter are factoring in the other info IE air density, altitude, wind direction X3 spin drift, G1/G7.

For 30.00 for Bullet Flight 3, and 199.00 for the itouch 16GB, so far I feel like I did ok. Time will be the real test of this equipment for me.

Im glad everybody like their specific programs. Im looking forward to shooting with others to learn about their ballistic programs in the future.

Dirk

MechEng
05-11-10, 14:21
Exbal works quite well and is very accurate, provided you feed it good realistic information about your loads/ammo.

rsilvers
05-23-10, 11:38
BulletFlight is has an option called 'metric scope' and 'metric display' where it switches over to mRad/mills.

I am the author of BulletFlight. Just remember - BulletFlight uses current military ICAO BCs, not old Army Metro like most ballistic software. Most bullet makers, including Sierra, report their BCs in the old Army standard. So either get the BCs from the BulletFlight database, or if you get them from a bullet maker, make sure it is in ICAO format or at least convert it to ICAO before using it (multiply it by 0.982 before using it). Berger bullets uses ICAO. The entire bullet database in BulletFlight is already in ICAO.

This has been a point of confusion and causing people to have mildly off results. I don't want to change it to the 1960s standard just because much of the sporting world still uses the old standard. That is one downside to designing something for the military but then also selling it to a commercial market which uses a very slightly different way of measuring things.

If you really want to be accurate, you can measure the BC yourself. The app allows you to enter drop between two ranges and will calculate it. You would ideally want to fire at least 10 rounds at each distance and use software to locate the true center of each group. I guess few people will ever do that.

91Bravo
06-11-10, 07:04
Thanks rsilver. Accuracy is what we're here for and accurate data about how things work is extremely useful. I didn't know about the different standard ballistic coefficients.

That said I have been using "Ballistic" from Dr. Z all winter with good effect. It seems to be reasonably accurate though not perfectly so.

I have no experience with Knight's product.. Yet.

rdc0000
06-12-10, 11:45
Any software based on Pejsa's formulas are spot on IMO. I have been lazy and just use the Jackson Rifle's spread sheet for most of my range work and it does work for range work. You could load it on a PDA or laptop with your fixed parameters and change the environmental parameters as needed at the range. Very low cost in software as in free.

Dirk Williams
06-17-10, 18:54
RSilvers, Wasn't aware you wrote bulletflight. Wanted to say Im still pleased with the product. I learn something on the program every time I go out.

Keep up the good work.
D Williams

Dirk Williams
08-30-10, 21:16
Had Bullet Flight awhile now, recently detected a fatal flaw. Not sure whats up, hoping someone has seen this before. Im getting a "NAN" reading for Inchs/MOA/Clicks..

No come up dope for the "Calculate Ballistics" side.

"Calculate Simple" has no problems. and the data is solid.

Ive been thru the system multiple times now and not sure what's wrong. Anybody getting this NAN feedback rather then MOA data.

Running the program on an I touch nothing else seems to be screwed up.

D Williams

rdc0000
08-30-10, 21:36
NaN Not a number. It could be a multitude of bugs. Check your input and make sure there are no strange things in the input that the software may not be checking. I don't have the program, but it is definitely blowing up. :confused:

cfulback32
08-31-10, 08:53
For anyone on the android platform the program shooter is excellent.

As rsilvers mentioned, using the correct ballistic coefficient is going to be extremely important in accurate predictions at distance.

The shooter program incorporates the calculated BC's of Brian Litz, chief ballistician for berger bullets since 2008. It includes the BC's for all of the popular long range bullets. Brian is an accomplished long range shooter and really knows his stuff (http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Book.htm)

Guys on snipershide have been using it and quite happy with its results.

Also, btw, it does calculate spin drift, coriolis effect, up and down angles, and pulls environmental data from the nearest weather station. It uses the gps, accelerometers, and angle sensors of your phone and integrates it all. It can display in mils, MOA, or IPHY (inches per hundred yards).

Dirk Williams
08-31-10, 09:38
RDC, yea I have to believe I plugged something in upside down. Bullet Flight has worked flawlessly until this issue. Ill call KAC this morning and ask them what's up.

I really like the system and have gotten it down to range it, dial it, shoot it, in a very fast timesover the summer.

Ive had the oppertunity to play with shooter aswell its also very good. In fact most programs are, its all about the math.

D Williams

Dirk Williams
08-31-10, 10:31
I got it figured out, if you fail to enter and SAVE your range, by pressing "Done" you get the off the wall reading. Make's sense to me.

D Williams

rsilvers
09-01-10, 17:14
I can help you try to figure it out. I can be reached through the email provided for support. No one else has reported this but if I had the iPhone in front of me I would look for strange characters in the input fields.

Dirk Williams
09-02-10, 11:40
RSilvers, I got it figured out. I was the problem, I was doing a timed 500/800 yard shoot. Known distance. never the less I was using the Program for practice.

I imput known data, minus distance which some how zero'ed with out defaulting to a minimum 25y.

Seems to be good to go now. Good learning lesson always have a redundent back up system. In this goat ****, I had a dedicated range card to default to.

Life is the lesson.

D Williams

WillardCW4
09-06-10, 01:19
This program is for the PC, but is really nifty and super easy to use:

Shoot! v3.5

http://www.ballistics-software.com/shoot.htm

I'm on v3.2 But it is useful for working up loads and printing out tables or graphs providing path and velocity information. Will also tell you how many clicks (or MOA) you need to adjust based on distance.

Dirk Williams
09-06-10, 11:43
I was reading here and on other long range sites about ballistic calculators and their direct application to the long range shooters world.

Like every other thread here everybody has their own idea's why they do what they do. Ive been doing this awhile now and shoot alot.
However, Ive still got alot to learn.

Ive developed what I believe to be a basic essential long range shooters kit.

I was hoping you guys would share your kit and the "WHY" behind the kit.

For instance I believe and have learned that the very basic kit "For me" must have the following.

1. Ballistic Calculator. I use the KAC version Bullet Flight III on an I Touch. Many programs out there , this just happens to be what I have, and Im happy with the content.

2. Kestrel Pocket Weather Tracker 4500. A must for being on the cutting edge of the exact spot your shooting at. My home is 4200 ft, I can gain or loose alttitude in driving to one of my shooting locations.

Some have suggested an I Phone or Black Berry for dialing up a weather station in the area. I think that's fine, but known input at the exact spot your shooting is just that much more accurate which makes your input more exact.

3. Range Finder. Currently using a Leupold RX-II. It's compact and ok, not really what I want. Range to 700y but you have to work the finder and be very steady. With this range finder I have trust issues.

I will range the target then range a couple of items near the target for confidence and accurate input.

4. Dedicated range card for redundancy and possible equipment failure. This card is developed over a crono at three specific alltitudes 1000 2500 4500 sea level.

That's it for me, These four things are critical for shooting any distance. I carry other stuff but not much. I also like a slope doper for up hill/downhill.

In my learning curve Ive spent thousands of dollars on cool stuff. Where the rubber hits the road this stuff is just fluff and not really needed.

What are you guys carrying and why. Educate me please.

D Williams

91Bravo
11-10-10, 13:00
Kestrel now makes a Ballistic Calculator built into it's 4500 model. Does anyone have any experience with it? Who wrote the ballistic calculator etc?

pbr streetgang
11-10-10, 23:50
Check out isnipe app.
I've been using it to fine tune my accuracy with my
Savage arms 10BAT-S/K, and so far I have cut my groupings in half

Voodoochild
11-12-10, 10:00
Why not give this a shot it is easy and doesn't require you to buy and expensive phone in order to make it work. Plus it doesnt require batteries.

http://www.actsvirginia.com/sliderule.php

longball
11-16-10, 20:47
...I use a blackberry phone and had hoped to be able to apply a program to it...D Williams

There is a free ballistic calculator in BlackBerry App world (MES Enterprises). I downloaded a few days ago it but haven't used it or tested it against other data charts. For the load I shoot through my 300 Win Mag it looks to be pretty close to the program I use on my PC though.

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-16-10, 22:01
Why not give this a shot it is easy and doesn't require you to buy and expensive phone in order to make it work. Plus it doesnt require batteries.

http://www.actsvirginia.com/sliderule.php

Good stuff

Good luck

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-16-10, 22:01
I have Ballistic FTE and a Kestral.

Good luck

EzGoingKev
08-14-16, 11:53
I know this thread is several years old but instead of starting a new thread I would like to add current info to this thread so all the info can be tracked in one place.

What is everyone using now? I am looking at Applied Ballistics or TRASOL on my Android phone but not sure which one.

Sniper1*
08-14-16, 17:25
I have both, along with several others... You will find the "koolaid" drinkers for both sides... I don't have a dog-in-the-fight for either side... That being said, AB works better for me...

dp0350
09-09-16, 13:19
I know this thread is several years old but instead of starting a new thread I would like to add current info to this thread so all the info can be tracked in one place.

What is everyone using now? I am looking at Applied Ballistics or TRASOL on my Android phone but not sure which one.

I think Applied Ballistics either in an app or on a Kestrel is the way to go. It seems like the best model going right now.

EzGoingKev
09-10-16, 08:04
I have heard Applied Ballistics is great out to 1000 yards. After that it gets sketchy. One thing I like about AB is the truing feature.

Trasol went from $39.95 to $9.95 last week so I bought that. Unfortunately it does not have the truing feature.

I still have to pick up a Kestrel and re-zero my rifle after changing scope mounts.

masenomics
09-20-16, 13:18
What's the best ballistics app on iOS for my iPhone/iPad?

Vegas
11-29-16, 03:04
Another Android user here and just recently had a phone die on me, taking all my data with it. I was using Strelok, free edition. Now that I am starting again with inputting rifles, loads etc I was doing a little reading on apps for Android and saw a few threads elsewhere with Strelok not getting good feedback. Is Applied Ballistics considered the most accurate model? Are there any apps where you back up your data in case you need to restore?

Thanks.

Macht
11-29-16, 04:03
I know Shooter and Trasol both let you sync your data to the cloud. I've never used AB. It's a highly regarded solver, but I've seen data indicating that Trasol is better for ELR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Titan74
11-29-16, 09:55
If you are shooting Lapua bullets, then the Lapua Ballistics app is probably the most accurate ballistics software that you can have in iOS/Android. It is currently the only app that uses the 6DOF calculation model.

Vegas
12-02-16, 02:05
I know Shooter and Trasol both let you sync your data to the cloud. I've never used AB. It's a highly regarded solver, but I've seen data indicating that Trasol is better for ELR.

Thanks. Think I am going to give Shooter a try.

waveslayer
12-02-16, 10:32
Thanks. Think I am going to give Shooter a try.
I have TRASOL, Shooter and AB. There's a large debate with Litz and Frank regarding TRASOL. All three sync to a cloud. I would go TRASOL and AB.

AB pros: has a large bullet library, easy to use, can email your DOPE, has some cool "Tools" feature. Has Litz personal Doppler BC's. Syncs with my Kestrel

Cons- none really

TRASOL pros: unbelievable HUD to get distance and speed, accurate, uses newer software to calculate data

Cons: no bullet library, no way to email your DOPE as of yet.

SHOOTER is the same as AB, AB has more features.

I would get both AB and TRASOL. I use them together .

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

TexHill
05-16-17, 23:48
Sorry for the thread necomancy, but I figured it would be best to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. My question is does anyone know of a ballistic app that considers barrel length into it's calculations? I currently use Ballistic AE on my iPhone, but as far as I know it does not factor in barrel length. From what I can tell it just defaults to a 24 inch barrel.

waveslayer
05-17-17, 11:53
Sorry for the thread necomancy, but I figured it would be best to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. My question is does anyone know of a ballistic app that considers barrel length into it's calculations? I currently use Ballistic AE on my iPhone, but as far as I know it does not factor in barrel length. From what I can tell it just defaults to a 24 inch barrel.
May I ask why you need to input barrel length?

The best ballistic apps like AB and TRASOL won't have a section for barrel length. It plays no role into your calculations . That's why you input the velocity, that's the main factor and your BC.

TexHill
05-17-17, 16:09
May I ask why you need to input barrel length?

The best ballistic apps like AB and TRASOL won't have a section for barrel length. It plays no role into your calculations . That's why you input the velocity, that's the main factor and your BC.
To

It matters because I don't reload and most ammo manufacturers test their ammo on 24" barrels. My rifle has a 16" barrel so the velocities are wrong for my rifle straight out of the box. So then I have to manually calculate what the correct velocity should be. It would just be nice if the app would calculate the correct velocity for me.

waveslayer
05-17-17, 16:16
It matters because I don't reload and most ammo manufacturers test their ammo on 24" barrels. My rifle has a 16" barrel so the velocities are wrong for my rifle straight out of the box. So then I have to manually calculate what the correct velocity should be. It would just be nice if the app would calculate the correct velocity for me.
Reloading or not it doesn't matter!
Here's why:
You cannot trust the stated velocity for any ammo on a box, it's never, I mean never accurate. If if you were to have a 24" barrel doesn't mean you will have the same velocity. There are so many factors that play a role.

You HAVE to chrono YOUR rifle. That is what you have to go by, that's also why you will never see a barrel length option in any software for ballistics, it doesn't matter , as I stated earlier.

Even if your rifle had the same barrel length, you can have a different twist rate, rifling, chamber dimensions, throat wear, free bore length, shorter chamber dimensions like a 5.56 and or a .223. Etc... just to name a few. Also, at what temp was the ammo velocity on the Box tested at, What elevation, humidity etc...

The stated velocity on that box means squat!

So get a chrono and test your loads in your rifle. I have a matching hunting rig with my dad, custom made. I use .4 grains less powder then his to get the same velocity of 3,124.

PM if you have more questions.

Next discussion is what chrono to get... go Labradar or Magnetospeed.

Dist. Expert 26
05-17-17, 16:19

No app is going to calculate muzzle velocity. In order to do so it would have to take into account burn rates for different powders, primers, the number of rounds through the barrel, etc.

Get a chronograph and figure out your true muzzle velocity.

waveslayer
05-17-17, 16:22
No app is going to calculate muzzle velocity. In order to do so it would have to take into account burn rates for different powders, primers, the number of rounds through the barrel, etc.

Get a chronograph and figure out your true muzzle velocity.
Amen brother! Also, the lot # plays a role too

Dist. Expert 26
05-17-17, 16:34
Amen brother! Also, the lot # plays a role too

Exactly. There's a reason chronographs are a thing.

TexHill
05-17-17, 16:42
Gotcha. Thanks for the help guys.

diving dave
05-18-17, 10:04
I have been running ballistic AE on my Iphone. I also did not have access to a chrono, so I have been inputting the approx. data from my loads with 4064 and 175 GRN MK..It got me pretty close. The cool thing was I was able to get some range time with a guy who does alot of long range shooting, and we trued the program to where my rifle was hitting at 1K...Dead on now. I actually broke one of the large clay targets at 1K, which surprised me

waveslayer
05-18-17, 10:06
Most ballistic apps have a truing feature. If you do not have a chrono. But a chrono will show you your ES and SD which are important factors when shooting any real distance

TexHill
05-18-17, 20:10
Most ballistic apps have a truing feature. If you do not have a chrono. But a chrono will show you your ES and SD which are important factors when shooting any real distance

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by a "truing feature"? I've been using Ballistic AE for the past 4 years, and - while I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do - I've never seen a truing feature in it.

waveslayer
05-19-17, 05:41
Truing the app allows you to ensure that all the information you input into the app is correct. For example, if you input, let's say for a .308, velocity at 2650 for 175gr. SMK's. Using the G7 ( which you should address use over G1 ballistic curves) BC of
.243. If you hit the calculator it will spit out a bunch of data for whatever range you set. Let's use 1000 yards.

So my app tells me at 500 yards I need to dial (Using MOA) 11 MOA to hit at 500 yards. And at 750 yards I need to dial 22.4 MOA, and finally at 1000 yards it tells me to dial 38.1 MOA.

Now the moment of truth, forget about spin drift and wind, etc for now, just for this example. You go to sit at 500 yards using or app and you dialed 11 MOA , you shoot and the bullet impacts low. , repeat the process again, impact low... etc.. you then dial to 12 MOA, you shoot, perfect center impact. You write down 12 MOA on your card (dope).

Then at 750 yards you dialed to 22.4 MOA, you shoot and forget spin drift, scope being leveled etc.. wind, you impact low again. Repeating again , you finally have to dial up to 23.6 MOA to get center mass hits.

At 1000 you ended up dial up again at 39.8 MOA or so..

So your app is wrong! You are impacting low at every range past 500 yards. What is causing the frustration. You check your scope to bore height you imputed, and all the data is correct assuming you even have the correct BC. You then hit the truing option, not sure in AE where that is. But AB for example allows you to input your actual dope you dialed for 500, 750, and 1000 yards and it then tells you that your actual velocity was 2630, not 2650! No wonder I was hitting low! Then you can automatically update your profile for that fun to reflect that your real velocity is 2630 for some reason. Remember to take environmental factors out too, I forgot that, too many variables to worry about for the sake of this lesson.

Why is the velocity off, because most Chrono's are off a bit, that's why stick to Labradar or Magnetospeed.
If you know your right on the velocity then you CA. True the app to a different BC which will then change the dope, obviously you change the BC to reflect tour actual data you witnessed in my example.

This is truing your app or data to real life data.

If all your data is correct you should see first round hits out past 1000 yards. Shooter app got me first round hits at 1 mile with my 6.5 SAUM.

Did that make sense?

TexHill
05-19-17, 06:50
Yes sir. Thank you.