PDA

View Full Version : Hairline crack on bolt face

andy t
03-08-07, 21:59
My AR has RRA 16" upper with RRA BCG group. It was purchased used, but unfired. After about 500 rounds, there is a slight crack - I think - on the bolt face. That seems somewhat abnormal. Should I start thinking about replacing the bolt?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Heavy Metal
03-08-07, 22:00
Call RRA and get a RMA. I am sure they will want it back for QA/QC.

Ellery Holt
03-09-07, 00:05
Post a pic.

Dave L.
03-09-07, 00:42
Post a pic.

I put an M16 LMT BCG in my RRA because I didn't trust the "out-of-spec" crap they use in their over-priced guns.

I would like to see a pic also.

Stickman
03-09-07, 15:03
My AR has RRA 16" upper with RRA BCG group. It was purchased used, but unfired. After about 500 rounds, there is a slight crack - I think - on the bolt face. That seems somewhat abnormal. Should I start thinking about replacing the bolt?

Thanks,

Andrew.

I wouldn't start thinking about it, I would deadline the weapon if there is a hint of crack in the bolt.

LukeMacGillie
03-09-07, 16:01
I wouldn't start thinking about it, I would deadline the weapon if there is a hint of crack in the bolt.

Indeed,

Im totally not a Colt Kool Aid drinker, but you just dont see Prancing Pony bolts breaking that early.

I hate their politics, but love everything but their lowers :p

Zip06
03-09-07, 16:16
I'd deadline it. Then I'd take the bolt to a gunsmith and get an opinion. If its defective or looks defective I'd contact RRA for a replacement. If they won't replace it then you should.

andy t
03-09-07, 22:56
Unfortunately my digital camera - fu is way lacking. Here is the best I could do for the bolt face:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/andy_t1/BoltfaceLarge-1.jpg

Upon deeper reflection, it appears to be more of a scratch about 0.3mm deep than a crack. I don't know if it's possible to make it out from the pictures. It is located on the outside of the middle ring, directly across from the extractor.

While on the subject of BCG, is my BC staked properly?
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/andy_t1/stakingLarge.jpg

I started using SS109 greentips in my AR and as some posters mentioned, noticed that the cotter pin that holds the firing pin is slightly bent. Is this normal?

Thanks.