PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my first AR

cannarella
11-30-09, 14:21
I was building one and had a lower all assembled but then found this. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=397
Had everything I wanted for the right price with some extras. Now the impatient wait begins. The worst part was coordinating with the FFL on the process to get it ordered. Their FAX wouldn't connect to RRA for some reason so I had to fax it from my work...

Irish
11-30-09, 14:23
Their FAX wouldn't connect to RRA for some reason...

That should've been your first clue.

rifleman2000
11-30-09, 15:06
Be prepared to deal with the fact that Rock River Arms is viewed as lower quality brand around here. There is a lot of information to support this found on this site. Generally speaking, you should have a good gun but there are things you should check to be sure.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

And let me be the first to say: Next time get a Colt! :D

cannarella
11-30-09, 15:18
Thank you, I appreciate everyone's opinion. I am just a paper plinker and am sure that it will do me just fine. I was planning to check some of those things right off the bat. the good part with the platform is there is a lot that can be changed out over time to make improvements.

Irish
11-30-09, 16:00
Thank you, I appreciate everyone's opinion. I am just a paper plinker and am sure that it will do me just fine. I was planning to check some of those things right off the bat. the good part with the platform is there is a lot that can be changed out over time to make improvements.

Why not spend a couple more dollars and ensure that you maximize what you're getting for your investment? Shooting paper may be what you're into now but in a year or two when you decide to step it up a notch wouldn't you prefer something that's proven to more reliable? The day may come where you need that weapon to defend your life or your loved ones and you would be much better suited by several other well known, tier one manufacturers.

The usual suspects are Noveske, LMT, Colt and of course BCM. I suggest doing a little more research and re-evaluating your choice in ARs. Good luck.

cannarella
11-30-09, 16:17
Why not spend a couple more dollars and ensure that you maximize what you're getting for your investment? Shooting paper may be what you're into now but in a year or two when you decide to step it up a notch wouldn't you prefer something that's proven to more reliable? The day may come where you need that weapon to defend your life or your loved ones and you would be much better suited by several other well known, tier one manufacturers.

The usual suspects are Noveske, LMT, Colt and of course BCM. I suggest doing a little more research and re-evaluating your choice in ARs. Good luck.

Since you are bent against them, please tell me why you think they are not the best choice. I don't have $1500 to throw around. I set a budget and have other priorities for my money and this is more of a toy then anything. I don't need another expensive hobby. Thanks again, I do appreciate your opinion and insight. I already have pistols to defend the house within easy reach. :)

Iraqgunz
11-30-09, 16:26
Cannarella,

A few things first. Since you have stated that you wanted a "toy" why not get a Ruger 10/22 or something else? I'll say it for the ...illionth time. A fighting weapon like the AR should be just that. Everything else is secondary.

Now to the potatoes. What are you paying for the RRA and what options or set up will it include?

From what I see of the price as shown you would be better getting a Daniel Defense XV or M4. You can even get a stock Colt 6920 for about 1150.00-1200.00 right now as well.

perna
11-30-09, 16:47
I just got a Daniel Defense XV for $1050 out the door, and they have a $250 gift card promo.

cannarella
11-30-09, 16:59
Cannarella,

A few things first. Since you have stated that you wanted a "toy" why not get a Ruger 10/22 or something else? I'll say it for the ...illionth time. A fighting weapon like the AR should be just that. Everything else is secondary.

Now to the potatoes. What are you paying for the RRA and what options or set up will it include?

From what I see of the price as shown you would be better getting a Daniel Defense XV or M4. You can even get a stock Colt 6920 for about 1150.00-1200.00 right now as well.

Not to sound defensive but, I wasn't expecting to get grief for my first AR purchase from a Moderator. :confused: I thought this was supposed to be a community of enthusiasts? I know in other forums I participate in I try to be helpful and encouraging to new people and not bash what they got right off the bat. I would like to share my experience when I get it but don't want to hear a bunch of "I told you so" from people.

I just looked up the DD XV and Colt 6920. My requirements in my search was a M4 style rifle, 2 stage trigger (b/c I just wanted it), and free float barrel (b/c I just wanted it). The rifle I ordered met those criteria a the price I was willing to pay. I knew I was not getting the top of the line and I am fine with that. I just don't see why everyone needs to jump the new guy for getting what they wanted...

Oh, I have a 10/22 already and it's fun.

William B.
11-30-09, 17:17
Not to sound defensive but, I wasn't expecting to get grief for my first AR purchase from a Moderator. :confused: I thought this was supposed to be a community of enthusiasts? I know in other forums I participate in I try to be helpful and encouraging to new people and not bash what they got right off the bat. I would like to share my experience when I get it but don't want to hear a bunch of "I told you so" from people.

You've been a member of this forum for almost a year and you didn't forsee that people were going to tell you this?

Irish
11-30-09, 17:23
I just don't see why everyone needs to jump the new guy for getting what they wanted...

I don't believe that's any person's intention. I was trying to give you enough advance warning that you could cancel your order and purchase a much better weapon for probably close to the same amount of money.

If you want a RR go for it, just understand they are an inferior choice for a myriad of reasons. Good luck.

HK51Fan
11-30-09, 17:52

I just looked up the DD XV and Colt 6920. My requirements in my search was a M4 style rifle, 2 stage trigger (b/c I just wanted it), and free float barrel (b/c I just wanted it). The rifle I ordered met those criteria a the price I was willing to pay. I knew I was not getting the top of the line and I am fine with that. I just don't see why everyone needs to jump the new guy for getting what they wanted...

Oh, I have a 10/22 already and it's fun.

Bro I have 5-6 friends that have RRA carbines and they like them just fine.

Heck, my tricked out m4orgery is a bushy.....the SIR rail system and the Aimpoint comp2 w/ base are worth more than the rifle and that's not counting the money I spent on ,VFG, surefire light, sopmod buttstock and ARMs BUIS...So don't sweat it. I'm sure there are plenty of guy's that will tell me I'm wasting all of this stuff on my bushy, but it's goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and hits where I'm aimoing...so I'm good.

Enjoy your new purchase and if it doesn't live up to expectations use it as a learning experience....like your first car!

r.

cannarella
11-30-09, 18:03
You've been a member of this forum for almost a year and you didn't forsee that people were going to tell you this?

I got a lot of support I thought when I was building my lower last year. Nobody said anything then.

cannarella
11-30-09, 18:05
I don't believe that's any person's intention. I was trying to give you enough advance warning that you could cancel your order and purchase a much better weapon for probably close to the same amount of money.

If you want a RR go for it, just understand they are an inferior choice for a myriad of reasons. Good luck.

Thank you. I will keep all this advice in mind as I move forward. If it is just an utter failure then it is my fault.

cannarella
11-30-09, 18:07
Bro I have 5-6 friends that have RRA carbines and they like them just fine.

Heck, my tricked out m4orgery is a bushy.....the SIR rail system and the Aimpoint comp2 w/ base are worth more than the rifle and that's not counting the money I spent on ,VFG, surefire light, sopmod buttstock and ARMs BUIS...So don't sweat it. I'm sure there are plenty of guy's that will tell me I'm wasting all of this stuff on my bushy, but it's goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and hits where I'm aimoing...so I'm good.

Enjoy your new purchase and if it doesn't live up to expectations use it as a learning experience....like your first car!

r.

Thanks dude. Good car reference.

Irish
11-30-09, 18:14
Thanks dude. Good car reference.

Actually it's not. If your car breaks down or gets a flat tire while driving it you can take your time to fix it, smoke a cigarette, walk to where you're going, call AAA or a friend. If your weapon that you're using to defend your life breaks down while you're using it you're ****ed.

Just one example but much more applicable to the topic at hand and that's why I recommended the other brands listed above. Again, good luck.

EDIT: Most people on this forum aren't talking about just buying a gun for a toy as you referenced above. Most people on this forum are serious about training and the defense of themselves and their loved ones and that includes purchasing quality firearms. Do NOT be offended by people's posts and try to learn from them rather than getting defensive.

justin_247
11-30-09, 18:14
It's just a plinker, so I think it will suit you just fine. Before you purchase any rifles in the future, I highly recommend you look at The Chart.

Additionally, I highly recommend you read the article, "Oh No! I Bought a BM/RRA/Stag Before I Knew Better!"
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/16001.html

Scapegoat
11-30-09, 18:41
You'll probably have time to come to your senses and pick up one of suggested items. ;)

Irish
11-30-09, 18:51
It's just a plinker, so I think it will suit you just fine.

He already owns a 10/22.

cannarella
11-30-09, 19:11
It's just a plinker, so I think it will suit you just fine. Before you purchase any rifles in the future, I highly recommend you look at The Chart.

Additionally, I highly recommend you read the article, "Oh No! I Bought a BM/RRA/Stag Before I Knew Better!"
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/16001.html

The last line there sums it up for me.

"At the end of the day, that's what it's all about, how secure YOU feel in the thought that you may use this carbine for self, family, or society defense."

rob_s
11-30-09, 19:16
This thread should be locked and archived and included with the "welcome" email sent out to new members. The only way it could be better is if the OP added "what do you think?" to the end of his first post, even though that's implied anytime someone posts a thread on an open discussion forum.

If you don't want feedback and replies, good and bad, about your purchases you should post them on a closed blog or website where people don't have the ability to reply. Posting on an open forum is like an unwritten "what do you think?" at the end of each post. If it doesn't then there is no point in posting.

No matter how much you paid for the RRA, chances are good you could have gotten something better for the same money or very little extra. Someone here asked what you paid, which I know is rude, but if you share perhaps someone can post a better deal to save you the expense.

cannarella
11-30-09, 19:46
This thread should be locked and archived and included with the "welcome" email sent out to new members. The only way it could be better is if the OP added "what do you think?" to the end of his first post, even though that's implied anytime someone posts a thread on an open discussion forum.

If you don't want feedback and replies, good and bad, about your purchases you should post them on a closed blog or website where people don't have the ability to reply. Posting on an open forum is like an unwritten "what do you think?" at the end of each post. If it doesn't then there is no point in posting.

No matter how much you paid for the RRA, chances are good you could have gotten something better for the same money or very little extra. Someone here asked what you paid, which I know is rude, but if you share perhaps someone can post a better deal to save you the expense.

Ok lets take a turn on the thread here. The order has not gone through as far as I can tell. I don't consider it rund to ask how much I paid. According to the link I am paying $1060 for the rifle and accessories. Luckily RRA is doing inventory this week so they taking orders but not shipping. So I probably have some leeway. My budget is pretty much $1000 for the rifle. My list of requirements are:

A4 style
Chambered in 5.56
Free float barrel with accessories mount
Sights, would prefer flipup.
Telescoping stock

William B.
11-30-09, 20:02
Actually it's not. If your car breaks down or gets a flat tire while driving it you can take your time to fix it, smoke a cigarette, walk to where you're going, call AAA or a friend. If your weapon that you're using to defend your life breaks down while you're using it you're ****ed.

Ha! That depends on where you break down ;)

RogerinTPA
11-30-09, 20:10
I just got a Daniel Defense XV for $1050 out the door, and they have a $250 gift card promo.

That's a smart buy for a quality carbine rifle.

To the OP, it's not to late to cancel and jump on this deal, other wise, you'll be throwing money at it just to get your Stag up to snuff (Getting it properly staked, chamber reamed, H buffer, etc...) and reliable enough to stake your life on. You're better off getting a more quality weapon for the same coin.

William B.
11-30-09, 20:14

To the OP, it's not to late to cancel and jump on this deal, other wise, you'll be throwing money at it just to get your Stag up to snuff (Getting it properly staked, chamber reamed, H buffer, etc...) and reliable enough to stake your life on. You're better off getting a more quality weapon for the same coin.

+1 It's not too late!

cannarella
11-30-09, 20:17

out of stock...

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=149

The other option is I have a fully built lower that needs an upper plus stock. That is what I was origonally going to do. So if I (you) could spend $1000 for a complete upper plus stock what would you do?

Bowser
11-30-09, 20:19
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_XV_M4_Carbine_7.0_Omega.html

http://www.riflegear.com/m-39-daniel-defense.aspx

cannarella
11-30-09, 20:33
Really want a free float hand guard. Not into the plastic hand guard.

justin_247
11-30-09, 20:34
He already owns a 10/22.

Word.

Beebo
11-30-09, 20:35
Check your PM box for a description of a Sabre Defense mid length upper with Troy free-float rail that I've owned and very rarely shot. I may be able to save you some money so you can get some ammo, sling, optic, etc.

justin_247
11-30-09, 20:43

+1

out of stock...

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...product_id=149

The other option is I have a fully built lower that needs an upper plus stock. That is what I was origonally going to do. So if I (you) could spend $1000 for a complete upper plus stock what would you do?

E-mail Clyde Armory... the DD will cost you a grand total of $999. After shipping and transfer it'll cost you around $1050. And then you can buy a DD Omega free float rail for it with your $250 DD Black Fund Card that you can get for free from DD if you give them a copy of your Form 4473.

RogerinTPA
11-30-09, 20:52
out of stock...

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=149

Just be patient and take your time searching. The deals are out there. If you already have a lower, ready to go and a BCG, get a Bravo Company Middy for $799.00 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20ddl12.htm.

The prices have stabilized, so there is no need to rush, but you can't beat these Christmas deals going on, but there will be after Christmas sales as well.

Bowser
11-30-09, 20:59
Really want a free float hand guard. Not into the plastic hand guard.

Are you serious man? Cmon you gotta read. Buy any of the DD rifles, like the plastic fore ended one and then use the $250 Daniel Defense gift card to buy a rail system. Really simple...

cannarella
11-30-09, 21:01
Just be patient and take your time searching. The deals are out there. If you already have a lower, ready to go and a BCG, bet a Bravo Company Middy for $799.00 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20ddl12.htm.

The prices have stabilized, so there is no need to rush, but you can't beat these Christmas deals going on, but there will be after Christmas sales as well.

I guess the issue I have is where to look? What are the best sights? I mean once you find one there are 5 others to look at. Pretty much information overload. With this additional informaiton I am considering canceling my order tomorrow. I don't like second guessig myself but this thread has turned out to be real helpful and I am willing to step out on a limb... Thanks for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming.

RogerinTPA
11-30-09, 21:02
The OP might wanna check out this thread, DD has a black monday special on uppers for $499.00 until noon tomorrow: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42372

cannarella
11-30-09, 21:17
The OP might wanna check out this thread, DD has a black monday special on uppers for $499.00 until noon tomorrow: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42372

I think I am going to jump on that tomorrow. It leaves plenty of money for extras. Except I will have to pay sales tax here in GA. Thank you very much. That pretty much seals the deal if a bunch of you have been recommending the DD. Everyone think this is a much better deal then my origonal purchase? I am thinking so.

Beebo
11-30-09, 21:25
I think the DD is a very wise call. Enjoy it, sir.

cannarella
11-30-09, 21:43
Just listened to a VM that my CC number on the FAX to RRA was cut off so canceling the order will be a cinch tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for thier help. I am glad you all got me straightened out. :p

Irish
12-01-09, 00:49
Just listened to a VM that my CC number on the FAX to RRA was cut off so canceling the order will be a cinch tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for thier help. I am glad you all got me straightened out. :p

The DD is a much better choice, well done.

tibis3383
12-01-09, 01:13

I'm glad you were receptive to being straightened out. I was not however. I had a RRA upper for about 2000 rounds and broke some stuff. I kicked myself for never listening to the know it alls, I mean that in the best possible way, and ended up getting a BCM. The difference is unbelievable unless you see it for yourself.

So even though your feelings may have been hurt at first, you will thank the know it alls just as I did. These guys really do know what they are talking about. Good luck with your new rifle.

Semper fi

Tim

justin_247
12-01-09, 03:36

Well played! Thanks for listening. You won't regret it. I didn't have a clue about ARs until I came to this sight, either, and I'm glad to hear that you came at just the right time to correct your mistake. I know I did. :)

You can't go wrong with that $499 DDXV upper receiver special!

cannarella
12-01-09, 07:42
DDXV is on the way with a Magpul CTR stock. $600 delivered, have to pay GA taxes. Now to find a floating hand guard and some ammo...

Again thanks for the help. Sorry about the grumpiness in the beginning. Was just real excited.

Jimbo45
12-01-09, 08:15
DDXV is on the way with a Magpul CTR stock. $600 delivered, have to pay GA taxes. Now to find a floating hand guard and some ammo...

Again thanks for the help. Sorry about the grumpiness in the beginning. Was just real excited.

Excellent! You will be happy that you were offended at first! :D Enjoy that new carbine when you get it put together!

VTLO910
12-01-09, 08:32

Congrats!

You only wanted a plinker, but once you start shooting the AR you might decide you want to take a Carbine class, or use it for home defense or something else. The great part about getting the better quality is that you won't have to buy a new AR for that purpose, since you bought quality the 1st time. :D

Enjoy, and shoot the crap out of it... Oh, and keep her WET (Oiled), they don't really like running dry.

gtmtnbiker98
12-01-09, 11:15
BTW, if you haven't figured it out, if you post anything that resembles a mistake or advertisement for advice, you'll get feedback - rest assured.

Iraqgunz
12-01-09, 11:23
cannarella,

Just so you know I wasn't bashing you. Simply trying to let you know that there are better options on the market. The only way other manufacturers will get the message is when their sales start to slip.

My comment about the plinker was meant as I said it. If you want to plink there are plenty of weapons out there to fill that role. Purchasing an AR should be something for self-defense, SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. Eveyrthing else you do with it is a bonus.

cannarella
12-01-09, 11:35
Yep thanks. I think I have had the baptism of fire but came out better for it thanks to you guys. No worries.

So what do these mean. SHTF TEOTWAWKI The second is quite a long acronym.

I am willing to learn.

Iraqgunz
12-01-09, 11:37
SHTF- Shit Hits The Fan
TEOTWAWKI- The End Of The World As We Know It

Yep thanks. I think I have had the baptism of fire but came out better for it thanks to you guys. No worries.

So what do these mean. SHTF TEOTWAWKI The second is quite a long acronym.

I am willing to learn.

Rider79
12-01-09, 12:02

This might help you find a rail:

EDIT -- Apparently Brownell's is running a sale on DD 7.0 Omega rails for $199....$179 with coupon code CYB. They would go awful nice on these XV uppers...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=51297/pid=24634/sku/Omega_Rail_7_0__Black

This is a great deal considering retail on that DD rail is around $250. I have several and I love them.

cannarella
12-01-09, 12:14
Cupon not working plus back ordered. :( Will have to keep searching.

Found it at Bravo Company USA for $199.

Ordered...

Rider79
12-01-09, 15:30
$199 is still a great price. It's real easy to install as well. Sounds like you'll have a solid rifle soon. Hit up wideners.com for good prices on prvi partizan 5.56 ammo.

RetreatHell
12-01-09, 16:07
Ah, hell... this thread just brought a tiny little tear to my eye. It's so great to see a happy ending!:)

Seriously though man, you made a great choice and will be happy you made it! The reason a lot of guys were giving you grief about your initial RRA choice is simply because a LOT of us here have made poor decisions about ARs and AR accessories in the past... especially our first AR purchase! So we do NOT want others to make the same mistakes we did. I bought a Bushmaster for my first AR around a year ago, and it's now long gone thank God.

It was fine for the shit I was initially doing when I first got back into shooting again: plinking and punching paper at a boring range with shitty rules that say you can only fire one round every two seconds.

But, as with a lot of guys, I eventually began getting into more hardcore training and running the hell out of my guns, and I guarantee that the Bushy that I originally purchased could NOT have kept up during the two intense carbine classes I've attended. I know this because I saw other Bushmasters fail in those classes, along with DPMS, RRA and POF carbines. Every time I see a lesser quality carbine fail in a carbine course, or wherever, I always look down at my BCM or KAC carbine and smile, knowing that my shit is rock solid and good to go.

Bad shit can happen with any rifle regardless of brand and quality, because that's just how things go sometimes. But you can tremendously limit the possibility of malfunctions and major failures by buying a quality carbine/rifle in the first place, and whether or not a person's initial intended use for their new blaster is for home defense, punching paper/plinking, training or whatever... the decision might just be responsible for saving their life or the lives of their loved ones (or complete strangers), or it could unfortunately be responsible for getting those people killed.

So trust me Cannarella, you did good by opting to buy the DD carbine in the end.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

cannarella
12-01-09, 16:15
Thanks, well maybe I am half way there. I got the DD upper on a RRA lower. I am assuming that the more important part is the upper with the barrel and BCG.

RetreatHell
12-01-09, 16:26
Thanks, well maybe I am half way there. I got the DD upper on a RRA lower. I am assuming that the more important part is the upper with the barrel and BCG.

Your assumption is correct;) You'll be good to go!

-Paul

RogerinTPA
12-01-09, 20:11
Ah, hell... this thread just brought a tiny little tear to my eye. It's so great to see a happy ending!:) (Snip)

It's great pulling someone from the "darkside" back into the "light".:cool:

RogerinTPA
12-01-09, 20:15

Absolutely correct.

Post some pics when you get her finished.;)

carnage0014
12-01-09, 22:22
Nice buy, good luck with it. You came to the right place to look for feeback the people here give nothing but tough love and good advice. Because of them I have a sweet KAC sr-15 just waiting to go to the range!

Quentin
12-02-09, 16:08
Nothing wrong with a RRA stripped lower, it'll do just fine with your upper. But make sure you have a good parts kit in there. RRA has a two stage trigger group that may not be a good idea, hopefully you have a milspec tcg already.

Hope you enjoy your new rifle!

cannarella
12-02-09, 16:15
TCG? I am sure I can pick up another trigger easily if needed and the 2 stage does not work out.

RetreatHell
12-02-09, 16:28
TCG? I am sure I can pick up another trigger easily if needed and the 2 stage does not work out.

Don't sweat it, brother. If you like your RRA 2-stage that's in there now, then just use it until it craps the bed... that could be 1,000 later, or 10,000 rounds later. I have ZERO clue as to the durability and lifespan of that RRA trigger, but I wouldn't be concerned with it, man.

I personally prefer a plain-jane, no frills milspec trigger, but that's just me. I actually just took the KAC 2-stage trigger out of my Knights SR-15 E3 lower and installed the one from the Daniel Defense lower parts kit that I recently bought. It has around 1,000 rounds on it now (shot over 3 1/2 hours at a Wounded Warrior shoot by my severely wounded brothers-in-arms) and seems to run great, and the DD LPK was only like $70 so it wasn't expensive either. But we'll see how it performs in the long run.

Regardless man, as long as your upper is of high quality, which the DD is, then you should be good to go and I wouldn't sweat it.;)

Semper Fi,

-Paul

cannarella
12-02-09, 20:56
Got the Magpul CTR stock today and got an email that the DD OMEGA Rail 7 shipped. DD said when I called them Tuesday they sold out Monday and had to assemble some more so we will see when that comes in. Pics to come soon.

cannarella
12-08-09, 11:06
Got the upper today and the Omega rail last Friday. DD was fast in getting the new batch built and shipped. Unfortunatly I am headed outof town for work today for a week... Guess I just have to wait.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/PC081444.jpg

rob_s
12-08-09, 11:32
This thread should be locked and archived and included with the "welcome" email sent out to new members.

I second my original motion, albeit without the "locked" part from above! :D

This appears to have turned out very well. Congrats cannarella, and it reflects well on you how this turned out.

cannarella
12-08-09, 12:39
Thanks Rob, I had a steep learning curve. Well it is going to be hard to work on this trip knowing that this is sitting in my back seat of the car waiting for me... I have no problems being an example to the other FNGs like me. Maybe wait until I put some rounds through it and share a report. Now I need to find the right cleaning accessories. Didn't look to see if the included a sight tool. May have to pick one up. Ideas were anyone?

dtibbals
12-08-09, 12:58
Welcome to the black rifle family! I will make a suggestion to you and that is you should spade or nuder your new AR. I wish I had many years ago because the damn things keep breeding in my safe! In fact they have even started having twins, seems they are so addictive and the horrible "dealers" keep offering sales and discounts, now I have to buy another safe because they have out grown their current home. Save yourself a lot of money and get them spaded! LOL

Have fun with them and shoot often!

David

cannarella
12-27-09, 19:09
Well here it is. Just got done with the honey do list so I was rewarded...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/PC261716Large.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/PC261717Large.jpg

mechtech1
12-27-09, 19:56
Last year we couldn't find Colts and there was no end in sight for when there would be more on the shelf for sale. So there are those like me that now have one of the low end guns, just because it was the only thing available. Of course now that there are 6920's on the shelf, there is not enough money in the bank account to buy one. I will shoot the DPMS until it quits or I get enough cash to upgrade to a Colt. Enjoy what you have, there are lots of fellow shooters with something other than a Colt. Not everyone can drive a Cadillac.

RogerinTPA
12-27-09, 21:03
Last year we couldn't find Colts and there was no end in sight for when there would be more on the shelf for sale. So there are those like me that now have one of the low end guns, just because it was the only thing available. Of course now that there are 6920's on the shelf, there is not enough money in the bank account to buy one. I will shoot the DPMS until it quits or I get enough cash to upgrade to a Colt. Enjoy what you have, there are lots of fellow shooters with something other than a Colt. Not everyone can drive a Cadillac.

Don't get so defensive. No one is knocking anyone for not owning a Colt. Ignore the majority of sales persons in gun stores and do your research (preferably all the "tacked threads" on here), then you won't get buyers remorse after the fact. Their are plenty of rifles to the left of center, on the "Chart". Colt is just one of them.

Hoss356
12-28-09, 01:09
cannarella, That is one slick looking rifle you got there, I've been following this thread for a little while and look forward to the range report.

P.S. I've picked up most of my cleaning supplies from brownells or midway. And pick up some cotton tip swabs, they're very useful, but don't spend $10 for a 20 pack from gun sites go to a medical or coin collecting site like here http://www.coinpocket.com/CoinPocketItem.php?item=SWABS6INCH

cannarella
12-28-09, 05:09
cannarella, That is one slick looking rifle you got there, I've been following this thread for a little while and look forward to the range report.

P.S. I've picked up most of my cleaning supplies from brownells or midway. And pick up some cotton tip swabs, they're very useful, but don't spend $10 for a 20 pack from gun sites go to a medical or coin collecting site like here http://www.coinpocket.com/CoinPocketItem.php?item=SWABS6INCH

Thanks. I think I can clean my left ear from the right one with those swabs. Hopefully will get to the indoor range at least this week on one of my days off. Just need to find the cleaning and oiling thread to make sure it is ready to go.

Bantee
12-28-09, 07:02
That's a nice rig, you won't be disappointed.

RogerinTPA
12-28-09, 10:50
Thanks. I think I can clean my left ear from the right one with those swabs. Hopefully will get to the indoor range at least this week on one of my days off. Just need to find the cleaning and oiling thread to make sure it is ready to go.

Nice looking weapon canarella. All you need now is a light, descent sling and a red dot optic, and you'll be all set. If you aren't familiar with iron sights on the AR, IMHO, it's best to learn to use them well, first. A red dot sight can wait.

cannarella
12-28-09, 11:23
Nice looking weapon canarella. All you need now is a light, descent sling and a red dot optic, and you'll be all set. If you aren't familiar with iron sights on the AR, IMHO, it's best to learn to use them well, first. A red dot sight can wait.

Thanks. That is my plan to learn the iron sights first and be able to use them well. Still don't know what to look for in a sling yet. The front rail has some QD swivel mount attachment points. I don't have any points like that in the rear, but could get an attachment to go over the buffer tube nut.

RetreatHell
12-28-09, 11:24

Just buy some Slip 2000 products. They're the best I've ever used and are used by many shooters. Here's a good list to get you started:

-Slip 2000 EWL (more of a standard lube that you'll apply to all internals of the gun's guts: BCG, inside upper receiver, charging handle, etc...)
-Slip 2000 EWL 30 (it's a thicker lube that you apply to the high-friction parts on the bolt and bolt carrier, you'll know where to apply it after you shoot your new carbine a bit because the finish will wear off those areas rather quickly)
-Slip 2000 725 Cleaner/Degreaser (it works great and makes cleaning faster. Just spray that shit on and wipe it down)
-Slip 2000 Carbon Killer (I just pour my Carbon Killer in a tubberware container and throw the whole BCG in there and let it soak for NO MORE THAN 15 minutes. It is corrosive if you leave it soaking in there for too long.)

My good friend and fellow Marine USMC03 gave me all this great info, and it works out great for me!

If you can't afford all of those items right now, you can easily get away with just buying the EWL and EWL 30. The other 2 items are just for cleaning and make the task easier, but aren't truly necessary.

Also note that it IS NOT necessary to clean your new DD carbine after every single range trip! A lot of us here who are prior military (namely Marines and Army), continue(d) to clean our rifles like we learned in the military, but it's truly pointless to do so. Just give your carbine a good cleaning after firing a minimum of 1,000 rounds, or a maximum of whatever round count you feel like. If the gun stops cycling with ease, even after you apply plenty of Slip 2000 EWL/EWL 30 to it, then it's probably time to break it down and clean her a bit;).

Just keep applying Slip 2000 EWL/EWL 30 every time you go out to the range and you'll be fine. My BCM 11.5" SBR has over 4,000 rounds on it now with only one 5 minute wipe down of the bolt carrier group at the 3,000 round mark, and the only reason I did that was because I was taking it to a Wounded Warrior shoot and didn't want their to be any chance whatsoever of it malfunctioning, although I know it wouldn't have.

That's all I got for now, hope this helps, man!

Take care and Semper Fi,

-Paul

Irish
12-28-09, 11:49
Well done ;) Check out these slings when you get a chance http://www.blueforcegear.com/products2.cfm?id=2 The Vickers/VCAS are well respected designs that would probably suit you well.

RogerinTPA
12-28-09, 11:58
Also rail covers if you don't have any. The rail can get pretty hot very fast.

cannarella
12-28-09, 12:09
Thanks for the lube recomendations RetreatHell. I will look into it. I could use some of that carbon cutter on some of my other guns that have some build up. When you are done with it do you just keep it in that container until it is not as effective or just dump back into the main bottle after the sediment falls to the bottom?

RogerinTPA I got the ladder looking ones with the rail. I am assuming you mean some more full coverage? Also are there any outdoor ranges in the Tampa area? My parents live out in Oldsmar area off Hillsboro and when I come down next time I know my bother is going to want to shoot this... I think he is more excited then I am.

I will check out those slings irishluck73.

Fireglock
12-28-09, 12:24
Thanks for the lube recomendations RetreatHell. I will look into it. I could use some of that carbon cutter on some of my other guns that have some build up. When you are done with it do you just keep it in that container until it is not as effective or just dump back into the main bottle after the sediment falls to the bottom?

RogerinTPA I got the ladder looking ones with the rail. I am assuming you mean some more full coverage? Also are there any outdoor ranges in the Tampa area? My parents live out in Oldsmar area off Hillsboro and when I come down next time I know my bother is going to want to shoot this... I think he is more excited then I am.

I will check out those slings irishluck73.

There's Wyoming Antelope Club off of Rosevelt in Pinellas Park/St. Pete. Haven't been there in a long time but we used to shoot there.

gogetal3
12-28-09, 19:35
Also are there any outdoor ranges in the Tampa area? My parents live out in Oldsmar area off Hillsboro and when I come down next time I know my bother is going to want to shoot this... I think he is more excited then I am.

First of all this was one crazy thread.. I'm really impressed how it turned out. Congrats on your helluva good purchase. If you really want to put that bad bitch through her paces check out central Florida rifle pistol club up here in Orlando. Probably a 2 hour ride that will be worth it 5 times over again. Here's the site http://www.cfrpc.com/about.html
Come shoot the tac 3 gun next month. It'll convince you to take a carbine class.

12-28-09, 19:55
OP- Way to go. At least some people actually listen to the great advice here. Now close the dust cover.:p

Daekwan
12-28-09, 20:36
Where to buy Slip2000 products.. I cant find them instock anywhere :0(

RogerinTPA
12-28-09, 20:56
There's Wyoming Antelope Club off of Rosevelt in Pinellas Park/St. Pete. Haven't been there in a long time but we used to shoot there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Range rules are way to NAZI for me. On ARs, you can only have 3 rounds in a mag (Used to be 1 round, a few years ago). 10 rounds, if you are a member. No rapid fire, no double taps. Not even with pistols, you must have 1 second between shots fired. 10 rounds only per pistol mag (used to be 5 rounds a few years ago). When asked why the restrictions, their reply is: "We don't know you" or "We don't know what your firearms training is, or how safe you are, etc...:rolleyes:

Knight's Shooting Sports http://www.knightshooting.com/ in Clearwater off US19, is an indoor range, but it will basically let you do what ever you want, as long as you demonstrate safe firearms handling at all times. I'd rather do outside ranges as well, but most are too restrictive.

cannarella
12-28-09, 21:19
First of all this was one crazy thread.. I'm really impressed how it turned out. Congrats on your helluva good purchase. If you really want to put that bad bitch through her paces check out central Florida rifle pistol club up here in Orlando. Probably a 2 hour ride that will be worth it 5 times over again. Here's the site http://www.cfrpc.com/about.html
Come shoot the tac 3 gun next month. It'll convince you to take a carbine class.

Thanks. I was really just looking for when I go to visit my parents in Tampa. My brother lives in Sarasota and he may know of a place near him. I live outside of Atlanta and have a WMA and 2 indoor ranges within an hour of here that aren't bad. Yes it has been one crazy thread but I have learned a lot thanks to people here.

Edit:
Just looked at a satellite map of your club. That look really nice.

cannarella
12-28-09, 21:25
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Range rules are way to NAZI for me. On ARs, you can only have 3 rounds in a mag (Used to be 1 round, a few years ago). 10 rounds, if you are a member. No rapid fire, no double taps. Not even with pistols, you must have 1 second between shots fired. 10 rounds only per pistol mag (used to be 5 rounds a few years ago). When asked why the restrictions, their reply is: "We don't know you" or "We don't know what your firearms training is, or how safe you are, etc...:rolleyes:

Knight's Shooting Sports http://www.knightshooting.com/ in Clearwater off US19, is an indoor range, but it will basically let you do what ever you want, as long as you demonstrate safe firearms handling at all times. I'd rather do outside ranges as well, but most are too restrictive.

Yea that sounds to restrictive. I am typically pretty laid back at the range taking my time but don't want to be told how many rounds I can have in a magazine or how fast to shoot... Last time I was in Tampa my dad took me to Knights but it was way full due to the holidas but I got my "license" or whatever to shoot there. I don't know where it is but I was just wondering if there was something else close. That's why I like Georgia, pretty laid back here, but miss living in Florida. Thanks again.

cannarella
12-28-09, 21:26
Where to buy Slip2000 products.. I cant find them instock anywhere :0(

I saw you can purchase directly from them online. Just figuring how much to order first. Just Google them.

Fireglock
12-28-09, 23:07

Actually I go to Knight's and agree that if you show proficiency they'll leave you be to play, and they're actually located closer to Pinellas Park than Clearwater. They don't whine about rounds in the mag or speed, they'll let you shoot your reloads and for the great majority of time are pleasant.

Another outdoor range that I have been to lately is Hernando Sportsman's Club, but they're careful, not Nazi's and it's a ride to the north. Probably 45 minutes to a hour ride. They have 25,100 and 200 yard ranges but timing is everything, they get filled up pretty early on weekends. No one complains about rapid fire and they allow full autos.

cannarella
12-30-09, 17:22
RANGE REPORT...

So I went and got 40 rounds of Remington 55 gr FMJ from Wal-Mart. Hit a new indoor range that I was told about and took aim.

Frist 15 shots in the middle of the paper at 15 yards. Numbers 1-5 are the first 5 shots while I adjusted the front sight. The rest were in the middle while adjusting the rear sight. The last 3 of the first 15 are lower b/c I was calling people and pulling off one on speaker phone.

Then started on the lower left and moved counter clockwise at 25 yards. First 5 were slow and steady as I could with the paper waving in the breeze. Next 10 were shot 1 per second. Final 2 sets were slow and easy.

Last pic is just for show.

The guy that was in the lane next to me what shooting his AR and let me shoot it. It had an Aimpoint and supressor. Nice.

Overall the gun shot great. The RR 2 stage trigger was crisp and predictable. No gas blowback in me face. The other one I shot did, didn't like that. Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I am glad I was willing to learn. Now I need a case for it. I had to rob the 10/22 case to take it out.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/first5shots.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/Alldone.jpg

Irish
12-30-09, 17:59
The last 3 of the first 15 are lower b/c I was calling people and pulling off one on speaker phone.

Keep your head in the game. A waste of money/ammo and potentially very dangerous.

cannarella
12-30-09, 18:18
Keep your head in the game. A waste of money/ammo and potentially very dangerous.

Head was in the game. I had them on speaker (hands free on the phone, 2 on the gun), selected fire with focus down range, squeezed, went safe said good bye. Thanks for the concern, I understand. I am very safety aware around weapons. I planed each call out and even asked the range if it was ok first.

12-30-09, 18:20
Friend- Deliberately talking on the phone while shooting is a huge safety no-no. Try that in a TS, EAG, or other quality class and see what happens. I believe Pat would say, "NFE enrolling in my class again." Pay attention to the "rules."

cannarella
12-30-09, 18:23
Friend- Deliberately talking on the phone while shooting is a huge safety no-no. Try that in a TS, EAG, or other quality class and see what happens. I believe Pat would say, "NFE enrolling in my class again." Pay attention to the "rules."

(head held down in shame) Won't happen again. :(

MSP "Sarge"
12-30-09, 20:34
You new guys.:D

cannarella
12-30-09, 21:03
You new guys.:D

Just call me the FNG. ;)

cannarella
01-01-10, 00:25
Ok so I got my first time shooting out of the way and as I look back I was see my mistake that I was called on. Lesson learned.

My question now is where can I find resources to learn to shoot iron sights properly? There is a mass of sights when I Google it but it seams that most of you have served or are currently serving and you know best. This really pertains to the rear sight which has 2, don't know what the technical term is but, different sized holes to sight through. I am guessing the smaller one is for longer distance and the larger one is for close up. If so when do you change between the 2? I am the little fish in the big ocean of knowledge here.

Thanks
Andy

SWATcop556
01-01-10, 02:21
I would first recommend a quality training class. That way you are not "self-teaching" bad habits.

After that to refresh the Magpul Art of the Tactical Carbine Vol. 1 is a good reference. Buy Vol 2 once you have some training under your belt and feel comfortable with the fundamentals.

cannarella
01-01-10, 09:08
I would first recommend a quality training class. That way you are not "self-teaching" bad habits.

After that to refresh the Magpul Art of the Tactical Carbine Vol. 1 is a good reference. Buy Vol 2 once you have some training under your belt and feel comfortable with the fundamentals.

Thanks.

MSP "Sarge"
01-01-10, 11:46
Like SWATcop1911 said hook up with some of these guys here at a training class. They can teach you so much.

01-01-10, 12:29
Cannarella- Way to go. Good attitude. Will go far here. Like Swat and MSP said, take a quality class. Your not too far from the best training available. Mapquest your distance to Fayetteville and that's how far you have to go unless a class is being offered on the road. Check out Grey Group, EAG, TigerSwan, Larry Vickers, Blackwater, and Viking Tactics. Taking a quality beginners class will open your eyes to a whole new world. Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

cannarella
01-01-10, 18:48
Cannarella- Way to go. Good attitude. Will go far here. Like Swat and MSP said, take a quality class. Your not too far from the best training available. Mapquest your distance to Fayetteville and that's how far you have to go unless a class is being offered on the road. Check out Grey Group, EAG, TigerSwan, Larry Vickers, Blackwater, and Viking Tactics. Taking a quality beginners class will open your eyes to a whole new world. Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

Thanks. Happy New Year. Obviously this is a whole different level of shooting then what I have been doing the past 10+ years. I will see if I can sneak one of these classes into the budget with the boss. We have a Fayetteville here in GA which is real close but when I saw it was in NC that was a bummer. About a 6 hr drive.

lethal dose
01-03-10, 01:45
cannarella:
you made the right choice. last year, i bought a late 80's ar-15 for $500... a good buy. the gun ran good... well... i thought it ran good. see... i am a defensive pistol shooter and i hang out with defensive pistol shooters, for the most part. i was always under the impression that the ar platform was inherently problematic until i was referred to nate bell by a local gun shop because i was looking for a take down spring and detent. he bull crapped with me for hours and got me really thinking about the platform... super nice guy. shot the gun some more, realized what i really had, then i got the "itch". needless to say... the only thing original on the weapon at this point is the lower... hahahaha... so basically i have a $500 lower, an lmt upper/barrel, all kinds of pretty magpul stuff, everything comm spec converted to mil spec, etc. an expensive lesson... but not as expensive as what you would have been learning... see, i have always been a believer in going a little further and doing it at least semi right the first time... i have spent more money then a lot of people would dream about on firearms over the years and, like i said, i always thought that the ar was an unreliable platform and that $500 was a screaming deal on one. it may have been a "good buy" but it was an expensive lesson learned, seeming how i wasn't satisfied until the only thing original left was the lower. it's worth it to do the research first and do it at least semi-right the first time... hahaha. you wont be let down. that is a fine machine you have, there. you should be proud to say that you own a quality weapon. like i said... i am a perfect example and guilty of not doing my homework first... i'm just glad i found nate and didn't decide to learn to like the platform on my own and end up with a bushmaster, stag, or rra down the road... sad thing is... i probably would have, considering that's what is MOST commercially available around here. congratulations, you did well.

SiGfever
01-03-10, 11:29
OP,

All though you started off rough you DID listen to people who have the knowledge and patience to guide you in the right direction. They could of easily said screw you, buy what you want. After some time went buy and you learned what the differences are between brands you might have kicked yourself in the arse for not listening.

Now you have a quality firearm that will serve you well for many years to come. Congratulations on getting past the defensive bullshit that so many show trying to defend their Tier 2 or Tier 3 rifles as "Just as Good" as a Colt, BCM, or Noveske, etc. They are NOT all created equal!

Nice rifle, enjoy!

cannarella
01-04-10, 09:51
OP,

All though you started off rough you DID listen to people who have the knowledge and patience to guide you in the right direction. They could of easily said screw you, buy what you want. After some time went buy and you learned what the differences are between brands you might have kicked yourself in the arse for not listening.

Now you have a quality firearm that will serve you well for many years to come. Congratulations on getting past the defensive bullshit that so many show trying to defend their Tier 2 or Tier 3 rifles as "Just as Good" as a Colt, BCM, or Noveske, etc. They are NOT all created equal!

Nice rifle, enjoy!

Thanks. Since I am new I knew I needed to keep an open mind and make adjustments as the process progressed. I think it is human nature to get defensive at first, but only the ones that truly want to learn will stop and listen. I can totally see this from the "pros" point of view here b/c on another hobby forum, not weapons, where I am the "pro" I try to heavily suggest different things then what someone may ask just to expand their choices which they may have not known about like you guys did here.