PDA

View Full Version : Need optics help

palmbeach31
12-01-09, 15:32
I'm a fairly new shooter and I'm looking at getting an Aimpoint Comp C3 or ML3. Or I'm considering a 1-4x scope such as a Millet DMS-1. I'm wanting an optic for close quarters but also to be able to use at the range. I most likely won't be shooting over 200 yards at the range and most of the time shooting 50 or 100 yards. How far in yards are Aimpoints good for before you need magnification? Would you recommend the Aimpoint or Millet for my needs? Also to my understanding the only difference between the C3 and ML3 is the submergence level, is that right? Thanks in advance for your help.

C4IGrant
12-01-09, 15:50
I'm a fairly new shooter and I'm looking at getting an Aimpoint Comp C3 or ML3. Or I'm considering a 1-4x scope such as a Millet DMS-1. I'm wanting an optic for close quarters but also to be able to use at the range. I most likely won't be shooting over 200 yards at the range and most of the time shooting 50 or 100 yards. How far in yards are Aimpoints good for before you need magnification? Would you recommend the Aimpoint or Millet for my needs? Also to my understanding the only difference between the C3 and ML3 is the submergence level, is that right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Aimpoints are as accurate as you can see.

Correct on the sugmergence level.

C4

ROCKET20_GINSU
12-01-09, 18:24

Stationary Man sized targets at 300m is easy, that is as far as I have taken it but I'm sure you could push it further, do a search on the farthest hits with Red Dot Sights (RDS), I've heard of some pretty impressive shooting with RDS at 450m ish. Get a Larue mount for your Aimpoint and if you ever need to add a new scope with some magnification, you can pop the Aimpoint off and repeat zero later. Of add a magnifier whatever make you happiest lol :D

GU

Failure2Stop
12-02-09, 01:36
Magnification won't make you shoot better, magnification will let you see better. It can help you be more precise since you will be able to see deviation in sight picture better.

It really comes down to precision requirements. I can consistently hit a door at 200 with a pistol, but I won't be able to consistently hit a 3X5 index card at 200 with an AR and an Aimpoint.

With an Aimpoint attached to a run of the mill AR and a little bit of skill you will be able to hit 8" steel at 200 yards. How you zero will play a role in how easy it is to hit that 8" plate. With more skill and the same setup you will be able to hit a 6" plate. Increasing magnification with a known hold will permit you to hit the plate more consistently since you will be able to hold the sights more precisely. Improving ammunition quality will permit you to hit a 4" plate since the dispersion of the bullets around your aim point will be reduced. If you want to do better than that consistently you will need to look into higher quality barrels.