PDA

View Full Version : Best new AR

newbie9mil
03-09-07, 08:32
Hi,
I am looking for a AR. It will be used for plinking, home defense and that I can buy it before the ban. I am leaning towards a 16 in barrel; 6 position stock; removeable handle or flat top; a solid performer. What I would like from you folks are suggestions with their reasons for your AR of choice. I was looking at kits also, due to cost is a factor. I have to keep it under $900. Thanks for your help.

nsabjg
03-09-07, 09:24
I'm not a expert but I will tell you what I did. I spent 10 years in the military(still work for the US Government, but I get paid better) and carried the M16A1, M16A1 with M203, M60 and the M16A2 as personal weapons. I wanted a AR15 that was a close to the M16A2 that I could so I had one built with a 20 barrel. I have a Cardinal forge upper with a carpenter steel bolt, contractor bolt carrier, 20" Douglas MP crome lined Wylde camber(so I can shoot 5.56 and also shoot .223 ammo with no loss in accuracy) can shot 75gr Honaday with no problem. I put the lower together myself I used a stripped lower and put parts made by a military cantractor. Love it. I paid about $700 for the rifle. You will spend more on ammo than the rifle.

rob_s
03-09-07, 09:50
It is possible to get a good reliable AR for $900, but you will need to do ALOT of research to figure out exactly what parts, pieces, and manufacturers to use.

Greenbean
03-09-07, 10:12
Hi,
I am looking for a AR. It will be used for plinking, home defense and that I can buy it before the ban. I am leaning towards a 16 in barrel; 6 position stock; removeable handle or flat top; a solid performer. What I would like from you folks are suggestions with their reasons for your AR of choice. I was looking at kits also, due to cost is a factor. I have to keep it under $900. Thanks for your help.

just a thought, take a look at www.gunbroker.com FWIW type in "Bushmaster" in the search or "AR-15" and you will find a lot of rifles for the 700-900 range. Esp if you search for just "Bushmaster"
I am saving right now for a Colt 6920, which should be 1,250.00 plus tax in my state. Good luck and have fun.

jem375
03-09-07, 10:23
Just about any of the A,B,C,D, and R's of ar15's will do the trick for you...and most of them except Colt will be at or under the price you want...

UVvis
03-09-07, 10:40
One I bought year ago went about like this with parts and shipping:

Stag Arms lower part kit and 6Position stock= 130$
Stag Arms Lower Receiver = 85$

Bravo Co middy upper = 430$
CMT M16 BCG = 135$

This put me at about 780$ for the functioning gun. I had to add a set of handguards (20$), rear sight (I had a couple extra carry handles, but they can be had for 60-100$), magazines and ammo. I got everything above from Bravo CO USA and Grant at GR Tactical.

From there I added other stuff, like the extractor upgrade kit from GR Tactical, optics, H2 buffer, sling, and probably a couple of other things.

End result, I have a pretty good rifle. I finished it in March or April of 2006. I probably only have 1500-2000 rounds through it, but I've only had one ammo related problem. If you build one you can pick you parts and end up with a higher quality gun than some at a similar price.

nsabjg
03-09-07, 12:32
If you are looking for a home defense weapon, I use a handgun for home defense, it is the same as I carry, a Glock 19, my wife carries a G26. A good shotgun is a great home defense weapon. But get a good rifle for long range work. Good luck and good shooting.

Cold Zero
03-09-07, 12:36
you could also take the easy way out and call grant and tell him what your budget is. i beleive he would put together for you the best $900 a.r. money could buy. no additional charge for his knowledge.;)

Greenbean
03-09-07, 13:48
you could also take the easy way out and call grant and tell him what your budget is. i beleive he would put together for you the best $900 a.r. money could buy. no additional charge for his knowledge.;)

That's the best advice I have seen someone give in a while, That's cool!

BruceLeroy
03-09-07, 13:50
Stop worrying about the ban, write your rep everyday and tell him what you think!

As for the AR, get your lower from DEL-TON, Stags for low 200 range.

Uppers at around 400 complete. Carry handle another 100. Sounds like your going to be 200 under budget!

Also try J&T Distributing! Just did an SBR with them and the stuff is great!

Cold Zero
03-09-07, 14:07
greenbean;

i don't give advice very often, but when i do, it usually is pretty solid.:eek:

JAYTEAM
03-09-07, 15:21
I don't remember what gun rag I was reading the other day, buy Larry Vickers had an article about setting up an AR that may be of interest to you.

Jay

9sigman45
03-09-07, 19:38
Save money anywhere you can, except the barrel! That's the one part to an AR build that you need to be willing to drop some cash, as far as I'm concerned.