PDA

View Full Version : Kimbers

Snake
03-09-07, 09:36
I'm looking at getting my own 1911 this year. I'm leaning towards the Warrior, but I've got some questions.

do all kimbers have the schwartz system?
what models have the series 70 firing system?
which model is good for both ccw, ipda, and tactical use?

thanks.

rob_s
03-09-07, 09:46
The warrior has no internal safties, is "series 70", and would be a fantastic gun for the uses you list at the price it sells for. At $1100 for an all-around gun (with a rail) I don't think you can beat it.

Paulinski
03-09-07, 10:01
The finish on those guns is not very durable.

Don't rule out STI I have a Trojan and I'm very pleased with that gun. Grant has really good deal on them as well.

rob_s
03-09-07, 10:14
I would think that the STI Duty One (http://stiguns.com/guns/Duty1/Duty1.html) would be a more 1:1 comparison with the Warrior.

Paulinski
03-09-07, 10:20
Off Topic - I'm saving up for the Sentinel :eek: Long way to go for me still.

Back on topic. Yes the duty one would be more of a comparison. Some people don't like the STI lines as they differ some from classic 1911 but the quality is there.

Boris
03-09-07, 11:10
I love my Classic Custom Target but it's an older one w/out the newer safety. Last I spoke with Kimber's custom shop, they only make three models without the newer safeties - the Warrior, Desert Warrior, and one of their high-end target pistols which I think is the Gold Match (iirc). Regardless, they won't make one w/out the newer safeties even if you special request it. I used my Classic Custom Targets for IDPA and CCW for over 8 years now (target sight and all) and still love it. Reliable, accurate and worth every dime I paid back then. My only resistance to purchasing one of their newer guns is for the newer safeties - which Kimber will tell you is "perfectly reliable." It's a mental thing, I guess. I will talk Kimber up all day while others will tell you they aren't worth a dime. You could always consider shopping for a used older model at a gun show or on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica.com.

jm2c

-Boris

Boris
03-09-07, 11:30
Oh, you'll want consider the weight of the Warriors for carry and IDPA use. IDPA requires that Custom Defense Pistols (CDP) not weigh more than 41 oz with an empty mag inserted. Take that into acct if you're planning on shooting sanctioned matches in CDP.

-B

Snake
03-09-07, 11:36
even though i'm tempted by sti and springfield, I decided on the warrior and will probaly have it customized later on. thanks anyway guys.

DKircher
03-09-07, 23:07
even though i'm tempted by sti and springfield, I decided on the warrior and will probaly have it customized later on. thanks anyway guys.

Don't apologize, I think you made a good choice. :)

My Warrior's finish has been pretty durable w/ hard use, and the weight isn't an issue for me at all, actually keeps the gun on target pretty well. I've CC'ed it, too, not impossible by any means.

Enjoy, and post a range report! ;)

Shihan
03-10-07, 02:42
Please do a search for Kimber and listen to my bitching about my new D Warrior. It works now after 2 trips back to the custom shop. Kimber has had alot of QC issues lately.

buzby
03-10-07, 08:18
keep in mind the warrior's light rail will greatly reduce your holster options. this is the main reason i have not got one. it sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind (and the warroir is a great pistol), but i just love my springfield px9109L. it does not have a firing pin safety and has been 100% reliable, and at $650 is just as nice as some guns costing twice as much.

Shihan
03-10-07, 16:44
Hello no firing pin safety on new Warriors.

Snake
03-11-07, 13:12
on a side not, is it possible for me to order a caspian frame and slide and send it to yost-bonitz to have a pistol made up?

Cesiumsponge
03-11-07, 14:12
The Warrior is the only 1911 from Kimber I would buy for carry since it doesn't have the Series II internals like the rest of the line. I like the Series I guts without the additional internal tinkerings.

I have no functional issues with mine at all, but the Kimpro finish is weak so take that into consideration that you will have to refinish it sometime down the line. Some of the MIM parts, once the finish has worn off, won't reblue using touchup blue so I ended up replacing them. The grips are also love/hate. There is no front strap checkering either so consider griptape or machining if you don't like smooth.

Lastly, holster choice is pretty nonexistant. If anyone knows of a place to get a good IWB for a Kimber Warrior, let me know because I haven't found one to date.

Most are opinion points. The only downside is the (lack) holster availability and the weak finish.

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Kimber.jpg

rob_s
03-11-07, 16:20
Milt Sparks will make you a Versa Max II IWB holster that will fit the Warrior.

Shihan
03-11-07, 21:19
After my D Warriors 2nd trip back for repairs she is a champ. The guys posting about the Kimpro finish are on the money. I think I may get a SMith as my next 1911 external extractor and all.

Snake
03-12-07, 12:40
I've decided to skip the warrior and get a Caspian slide and receiver set and send it to yost-bonitz. I also have a question:

Do I need to register this gun before or after I send it to yost-bonitz?

rob_s
03-12-07, 12:53
Just out of curiority, have you talked to Y-B about this plan?

Snake
03-12-07, 14:40
my last post didn't come out the way i wanted it. im still thinkin about getting a caspian slide and frame and sending it to y-b. whether i decide to go that route or decide on a nighthawk is still in question