PDA

View Full Version : Help with RDIAS.

Greenbean
03-09-07, 10:43
PLease fogive me if it's someplace else and I can't find it in the search engines, I have been all over this site and ar15.com for almost an hour and can't find out if...

1. Will a RDIAS work in Colt 6920, w/out extra parts?
2. Would you guys bother?
3. Where do you get them or do I need to contact my Class-3 guy,

I am assuming I would need to contact my class-3 guy for more info but wanted to check the boards first.
He is out of town at a gun show for a few more days.

Thanks and forgive me, I am learning and am very intrigued. I was actually on the phone with a local ATF rep yesterday and forgot to ask him about it.

kbi
03-09-07, 13:48
I dont know if one would work with your colt but be prepared to pay a good amount for one .

Greenbean
03-09-07, 13:57
I dont know if one would work with your colt but be prepared to pay a good amount for one .

I am learning that,
Most of the info I can gather on the web is that they work with the M-16 bolt carrier, hammer, selector, and disconnector only.

So even if you get one you have to have these parts as well, Unless they are in my Colt already.

Also after it's timed, can it be removed and re-installed?

MtCarbine
03-09-07, 15:17
You also have to mill out that webbing in the lower receiver

Greenbean
03-09-07, 15:33

Sounds like I need to sell a Kidney and just find a Full-Auto rifle...

I wonder if the NYSE has caught on to how much full-autos go for...lol...:D

Impact
03-12-07, 22:59

I thought RDIAS was drop in ?..I don't have one though. :(

rob_s
03-13-07, 04:33
Many of the big-name makers (Colt included) have extra material in the lower to prevent you from installing the RDIAS without having that area milled out.

If you're dead-set on FA, I'd buy a stripped lower that doesn't have the block and build it up with Colt internal parts. I would not want my only lower to be FA.

But, since you asked, I find FA to be completely useless for my purposes. Do I wish I had bough that M16 back in college that was only $4k? Absolutely. Do I think they'll continue to climb from the $15k they're selling for now (assuming that the Democrats don't confiscate them in the next 10 years)? Absolutely. But I don't buy guns as investments, and the kind of shooting I do isn't helped by FA, and is in fact hurt by it.

FA, to me and in my hands, is a toy for turning money into noise and brass.

rsilvers
03-13-07, 21:05
I don't get why to call it an RDIAS over a DIAS. While I did drive to the store today in a registered Honda, I just say 'my Honda' and not 'my registered Honda.'

Bolt_Overide
03-13-07, 21:17
its to clarify that it isnt an illegal machine gun basicly. Theres been a rash of illegal "postie" DIAS's running around a few times in the past, including a long running ad in shotgun news thats an honest to god BATF sting.

Basicly its clarification that stems from people at another gun website who are shall we say... pussies and must have everything politcally correct.

rsilvers
03-13-07, 22:05
I know. I just think we as a group should not go out of our way justifying that our guns are legal as if it is rare to have a discussion on an NFA board about a legal machinegun. I think we can talk normally about our guns and the assumption is that people are following laws unless they give reason to think otherwise. It would be one thing in a legal discussion, but in a technical discussion it is just DIAS vs original rifle vs converted but RR. So what is the harm? Just that it gives the anti gun people too much credit that we need to say each time our guns are government-approved.

rob_s
03-14-07, 04:19
Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.:rolleyes:

John Fettes
03-25-07, 21:15
I thought RDIAS was drop in ?..I don't have one though. :(

It depends on the lower receiver with which you start start. They are basically drop-in with the older Colt's lowers.

It may have been the late 1980's that Colt's started using one of several designs to obstruct the use of the auto sear. As mentioned above, now they don't mill out part of the lower.

I suspect that the cost of a RDIAS alone is not that much lower than a gun with one in it. A registered received gun would be worth a little more.

John

okent
03-28-07, 21:24
I will add a link to a page that I found that explains it really well.
The DIAS will probably run you more than a registered receiver.
You can pick up a DIAS for around 12-13K and a RR is going for anywhere from 9.5 to 11K. (just ballpark numbers) I don't really get the premium but that is what the numbers have been showing.

Guns are like women: once one of 'em catches your eye there's no use fightin' it:cool:

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

SuicideHz
03-29-07, 20:59
I don't get why to call it an RDIAS over a DIAS. While I did drive to the store today in a registered Honda, I just say 'my Honda' and not 'my registered Honda.'

I don't know why you go out of your way to say you "delete less posts than other forums" when you actually do. Actually, nevermind. I do know why. It's your anal semantics based brain working.

You are correct in saying you "delete less" in raw numbers over you "delete less" relatively. I saw an interesting 9 page thread disappear last weekend...

But that is neither here nor there.

They are commonly called RDIASs now more frequently than DIASs. That is just a sign of the times. I'm not advocating we give up our rights.

The reason you don't use the term "registered Honda" versus "Honda" is there is no difference and no need to differentiate. All are registered therefore you leave the "registered" part off.

And yes, there are or at least seem to be unregistered DIASs out there- how about that add that still appears in SGN and on the boards all the time for $150? Surely that can't be registered!! :D

rsilvers
03-29-07, 22:30
I have a Honda in my garage that I am sure is not registered.

SuicideHz
03-29-07, 22:55
so when you get pulled over and the cop asks you for license and registration you just give him your usual stupid look?

you don't want to use the word registration or i'll win the little word game that you started. I get it. You want to use another word. Which word will it be? licensed, plated, tax-paid, what?

rsilvers
03-30-07, 02:42
When I get pulled over I want to be in a registered car. However, when I talk to my friends online about my car, they assume it is registered.

Stephen_H
03-30-07, 12:57
I actually agree with rsilvers here. When I talk about my Form 1 short barreled carbines I don't call them RSBR's. I think it is a fairly moot point either way, but I agree with his reasoning.

Stephen