PDA

View Full Version : Centurion Arms Hammer forged Light weight Barrel

SMGLee
12-02-09, 13:02
Both in 16.1 mid length and 12.5 carbine length.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020080.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020079.jpg
Slightly tappered front section and Gov't profile under the handgaurd.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020078.jpg
Dimpled gas block screw tab

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020076.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020073.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020072.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020075.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020071.jpg

eternal24k
12-02-09, 13:30
WOW,
very nice, I am waiting on a CMMG, and am excited for a BCM, and this is just great! Glad to see more LW barrels on the market, do we have a price or place to buy these? I have a feeling that it is easier to get a Centurion from retailers than direct, or atleast it is damn hard to get a MK12 from them.

grinch
12-03-09, 01:09
Thing should be alot easier soon we are finally getting a new website and we are cathcing up on the MK12's should have them all out soon and the next batch after that hope to keep some on the shelves.

The barrels above are 325.00 plus 12.00 shipping

Specs

-16inch mid length, light weight.
-cold hammer forged
-M4 extended feed ramp
-1:7 right hand twist with 5.56 Chamber
-tapper bore
-HP/MPI tested
-Extra thick Chrome lining
-Mil Spec Phosphate finish
-***Guaranteed capable of 1 MOA or better accuracy with proper ammunition***
-***Service life three times a standard barrel***
-1lb, 9.9oz. stripped / 1lbs, 11.8oz with pinned Centurion Arms gas block

Thanks

Snake
12-03-09, 11:37
when should these be available for sale?

SeriousStudent
12-03-09, 12:24
Wow, this would make a very interesting "recce-ish" build. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, SMGLee, I have been looking forward to doing a lightweight middy upper.

Thanks for the additional info, Monty, and stay safe!

Dan Goodwin
12-04-09, 07:16
Any chance of a LW 20-in.?

eternal24k
12-04-09, 16:23
Do you guys do MK18 barrels? Or 10.5" ?

SPDGG
12-05-09, 02:53
when should these be available for sale?
I hope soon :D

LonghunterCO
12-05-09, 07:58
.75" gas block/FSB journal?

ddemis
12-05-09, 22:43
Any 14.5 inch barrels in the works ? I'd like to keep it as short as possible without all the NFA paper work. Carbine length hopefully.

grinch
12-06-09, 01:14
I have them in stock right now for sale and should be stocked up for awhile.

it uses .750 gas blocks or FSP.

I'm not sure if I will ever do a 14.5in only time will tell.

I chose to do a 12.5in over the 10.5in since it has significant advantages but once again I would not rule it out.

If I do a 20in it will probably be a mid weight or a little heavier and will be set up as a precision barrel.

Thanks

nickdrak
12-06-09, 02:22
That is a very slick looking barrel profile. I definately like it.

wild_wild_wes
01-08-10, 22:34
Any 14.5 inch barrels in the works ? I'd like to keep it as short as possible without all the NFA paper work. Carbine length hopefully.

+1

I want!

ic_guerrero
01-11-10, 20:37
Monty,

Do you know if you can attach a KAC QDSS NT4 on a 12.5" upper that is using either a DD M4A1 RIS ll or a DD AR15 Lite Rail 12.0? I also wanted to know if you can either do a shaved FSB or a pinned gas block on the 12.5" barrel.

Thanks,

Marco

Henchman
01-11-10, 21:08
I have them in stock right now for sale and should be stocked up for awhile.

it uses .750 gas blocks or FSP.

I'm not sure if I will ever do a 14.5in only time will tell.

I chose to do a 12.5in over the 10.5in since it has significant advantages but once again I would not rule it out.

If I do a 20in it will probably be a mid weight or a little heavier and will be set up as a precision barrel.

Thanks

Finally the barrel length I want for my first SBR "12.5"

grinch
01-12-10, 01:41
Barrels are actually available now I have plenty in stock.

We hope to have a new website working soon.

Marco- I have my own low profile gas block we pin on. and I'm not sure on the rest of it I've not built one with those features yet.

If we get any 14.5 in they will still probably be a mid-length gas system.

Thanks
Monty

DJK
01-12-10, 17:07
Monte - the new website looks great!! I think I am going to have to spend some money with you.:D

grinch
01-12-10, 19:33
DJK,

Thanks we hope this makes it alot easier for folks to get info about our stuff and easier to purchase from us if they wish.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
01-13-10, 21:50
I was just looking at your barrels on your new website; I want a 16" one, but would like a bit more info. Now you have a Midweight and a Lightweight barrel; are these new production barrels different from the ones you've done in the past? I was looking at one on Rainier's website, and it looks different than the ones on yours....the one on Rainier's looks like a Government profile, but without the M203 notch: it has a fat diameter in front of the gas block, and skinny under the handguards (like the ones in SMGLee's pics at the top of this page), while the ones on your website look different in terms of profile; could you please give us the outside diameter under the handguards, and in front of the gas block, for each type?. This will help me decide which to get; thank you for your time!

wild_wild_wes
01-14-10, 04:06

How firm is this? Besides a 16" I also need a 14.5", and I was planning on getting two of the 16s and having my gunsmith chop one down to 14.5, but I'd much rather have a 14.5 direct from you.

Thanks!

rob_s
01-14-10, 05:43
Maybe I missed it. Weight on 16" middy lightweight?

grinch
01-14-10, 10:03
Wes- The ones on my website are of the mid-weight I hope to have pics up soon of the light weight. The pics in this post are of the light weight barrels. If we do the 14.5in it will be a cut down version of our 16in light weight so it will be a mid length gas system. If you want a smith to cut it down that will work to I know there is a debate weather chrome will flak or not but after talking with a couple reputable barrel hard chrome shops they assure me this is not an issue with the hard chrome they use for barrels.

Light weight
12.5in--1lbs 5oz
16in----1lbs 9.9oz

Mid wt
16in---1lbs 15oz

The light weights are gov profile under the hand guard and step down to .680 in front of the gas block. The mid weight is .750 under the hand guard and .740 in front of the gas block.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
01-14-10, 22:32
Thanks for the info, Monty! I will definitly be ordering a 16" barrel.

As for the 14.5s....are you reasonably sure you will produce these? Any idea of a time frame?

biodegraded
01-14-10, 23:37
I am also interested in a lightweight, shortest carbine I can get without having to mess with NFA stuff. But since getting a middy 16" I can't go back to a carbine gas system unit. Monty, if you make a 14.5" LW with the same specs as the 16" LW you listed above, I will buy two. I don't much care what flash suppressor gets permanently attached.

Impact
01-14-10, 23:48
new website looks great !

wild_wild_wes
01-15-10, 01:03
I registered as member #8 on the Centurion discussion forum....plank owner!

grinch
01-15-10, 22:58
Wes- Yes we have so many 16in barrels we will cut some of them down in batches to 14.5in now that I'm sure cutting a chrome barrel is not an issue.

Impact- thanks!

Bio-I will be gone to shot this next week but as soon as I get back I'll start working on getting this done.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
01-15-10, 23:44
Hey Monty thanks for keeping us informed! As soon as you get those barrels chopped, I want one!

biodegraded
01-15-10, 23:57
And I'll spring for two along with Wes' order. Best wishes at SHOT.

grinch
01-16-10, 23:50
Thanks guys will get on it when I get back from shot I'll just do a batch of 20 or so I'll also try to get a few built up and get pics.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
01-17-10, 01:55
Will the gas ports need to be enlarged?

grinch
01-17-10, 09:13
Wes,

I will run a few of the barrels and get it worked out before I get them to you guys this is something I may do every now and again.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
01-20-10, 23:14
One more question Monty....what I really want is a true lightweight barrel; do you have the ability to machine the barrel in front of the front sight base down to a reasonable diameter, say .600", on a special order basis? Along with trimming back to 14.5", or course.

grinch
01-21-10, 01:15
Wes,

Sorry I do not mine are .680 in front of the gas block though.

Thanks
Monty

Voodoochild
01-21-10, 06:14
Monty like the new website and my MK12 is a laser. Couldn't be happier with the end product. Any plans on doing a MK18 setup?

wild_wild_wes
01-21-10, 20:34
Wes,

Sorry I do not mine are .680 in front of the gas block though.

Thanks
Monty

.680 is not too heavy; I can live with it!

AR guys are such pains to deal with, eh.

mtdawg169
01-21-10, 22:39
Monte, Couple of questions. First, are these specs applicable to both the light weight & mid weight barrels? Same accuracy guarantee for both weights? and finally, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but what is a tapper bore?

-16inch mid length

-cold hammer forged

-M4 extended feed ramp

-tapper bore

-HP/MPI tested

wild_wild_wes
01-21-10, 23:41
Tapered bore. A bore with taper to it.

Bigboote
01-22-10, 08:18
That 12.5" lightweight upper with CHF barrel is badass, and exactly what I've been trying to find for my first SBR these last couple years. The 16" lightweight looks fantastic, too. Monty, you're gonna melt my credit card.

mtdawg169
01-22-10, 17:01
Tapered bore. A bore with taper to it.

At the risk of further exposing my ignorance, what is the purpose / benefits of a tapered bore?

ddemis
01-23-10, 11:18
A 14.5 inch with a mid length gas system, I can live with that. I would love to place an order but cutting down a 16 inch barrel with crome lining ? Since I do not manufacture barrels is this a big deal. Can anyone shed some light on how it might affect the crome and crown on the end of the barrel. Thanks for any info.

grinch
01-23-10, 12:46
The taper bore is that the bore dimension is slightly smaller at the muzzle end this help accuracy. You may notice that the match shooters will not use standard chrome lined barrels since chrome can not be laid consistently through the bore there will always be variations in the chrome thickness. The taper bore gets tighter as the you get closer to the muzzle this negates any negative affects of chrome lining inconsistencies and ensures that it will not have any negative effects on accuracy.

So the taper bore is to enhance accuracy on chrome lined barrels.

Cutting a chrome lined barrel- I used to be very skeptical about this but after talking with the barrel chroming shop they assure me that flaking around the muzzle after cutting is NOT an issue. I've check this with two of the best barrel chroming shops in the country and they both assured me this is not an issue. I've since cut some test barrels and this has shown itself to be correct as I've not seen any negative impacts from the cutting on the test barrels.

Thanks
Monty

ddemis
01-23-10, 13:59
Thanks for the reply Monty and please let us know when there ready to ship.
Sincerely, David.

SuicideHz
01-29-10, 14:23
Monty-

I just viewed your site and registered. I'm looking to purchase one of the midlength barrels that have been cut to 14.5".

Let me know how!
:D

openbolt
01-29-10, 15:16
Can you mount/provide a standard "F" marked front sight base on your barrels?

Thanks,

openbolt

SuicideHz
01-29-10, 15:23
I think they are sold "bare". I can sell you one that's not yet been drilled for next to nothing and you can send it all off to Steve at ADCO and have it pinned.

openbolt
01-29-10, 17:56
I think they are sold "bare". I can sell you one that's not yet been drilled for next to nothing and you can send it all off to Steve at ADCO and have it pinned.

Does anyone know if the seat area is long enough for a standard FSB? As an example Noveske SS barrels do not have enough seat area for a standard FSB...

Col_Crocs
01-29-10, 18:57
Havent handled their barrels personally but from what I can see, I think so. Their GB is a lot like Larue's where it is extended to cover the front FSB pin hole. I checkout out a few pics of the Larue GB and it touches the tip of the .750" area like the Centurion Arms GB does. GTG IMHO.
Grinch should be along shortly to clarify this. :D

wild_wild_wes
01-29-10, 21:02
Does anyone know if the seat area is long enough for a standard FSB?

Yes, they will take a standard FSB.

grinch
01-30-10, 00:07
The barrels are ready to ship in the bare I have a few on hand with gas blocks pinned already and will get more of them up for you guys and I can pin the standard front sight post too I will order some soon so I can get that going for you guys. I was hoping to have some cut to 14.5in but it will probably happen the beginning on next week when I'm done I'll post a pic here for you all to see.

mhall
01-31-10, 14:20
Monty,
one question reguarding your barrels. does it take the standard mid length gas tube or a special length one? if this has been covered please forgive me as i did not see it on either this thread or on your website. thank you for your time,Mike Hall

wild_wild_wes
01-31-10, 15:21
They take the standard midlength gas tube.

mhall
01-31-10, 18:14
Wes,
thanks for answering my question. i was hoping that they used the standard mid-length tube instead of something that was hard to get. i appreciate it,Mike

Chris Rhines
01-31-10, 21:44
That's a nice looking barrel. One question - how far out does the accuracy guarantee hold? Will these barrels hold 4" @ 400 yards?

Thanks,
Chris

grinch
02-01-10, 00:49
Mhall,

Wes is correct and thank you Wes for answering.

Chris,

I'll guarantee it to 100 with proper ammo to go past that is a sticky wicket that depends more on the shooter, environmental conditions and ammo selection then the barrel. I will say this though I've shot an 8 inch group at 800 yards with these barrels using 77gr black hills MK262 that was one of the reasons I decided I wanted to sell them.

SuicideHz
02-01-10, 12:02
Holy crap Monty!!! That's an awesome group from a non-Noveske :p

Seriously, I'll be in love with that barrel when you get those cut down. I'm giddy like a school girl.

That's just awesome- the accuracy, not my giddiness ;)

biodegraded
02-01-10, 15:10
I was going to PM a few questions, but decided there may be others who would like to see the replies. As noted in my posts above, I'm all over the 14.5" offering and was wondering:

Can I get you to permanently install a FH? I would just as soon not have to arrange for a third party to do that. (I'm not doing NFA papers myself.)

Can I specify that a pinned low profile gas block be installed by you?

Would you be willing to make a complete upper based on the barrels? PM if so to work out a build.

Thanks,
Keith

SuicideHz
02-01-10, 16:57
Might want to check this upper out:

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=47&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=47

http://www.centurionarms.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Hammer_Forged_Up_4b1239062ceb1.jpg

grinch
02-02-10, 00:55
SuicideHz- yea I was pretty happy but it proved that the barrel could do it and that is what help convince me.

Keith- I can build and upper from these and I can do the pinned gas block. The only way to do the pinned flash hider is to build the entire upper.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
02-02-10, 21:43
Mhall,

Wes is correct and thank you Wes for answering.

Chris,

I'll guarantee it to 100 with proper ammo to go past that is a sticky wicket that depends more on the shooter, environmental conditions and ammo selection then the barrel. I will say this though I've shot an 8 inch group at 800 yards with these barrels using 77gr black hills MK262 that was one of the reasons I decided I wanted to sell them.

Wow, you did that with the Lightweight barrel, not the Midweight? What optic?

grinch
02-02-10, 22:43
Wes- yup a light weight contour did it. We had shot yard lines from 100-800 so by the time we got back there I was dialed in with the system. It was a 10 shot group using a leupold 3-9 power.

Thanks
Monty

rob_s
02-03-10, 12:35
Two followup questions.

Diameter under handguards? (sorry if I missed it, re-read the thread and didn't see it)
Weight of 16" mid lightweight barrel after chopping and re-threading at 14.5"?

Col_Crocs
02-03-10, 18:36
A follow to Rob's 14.5 question...
Since the first batch of 14.5 middys are to be cut down from 16's, how significant will the loss in tapering be compared to the "factory" 16 or 12 which I assume are rifled with the same preset taper measurement at the end?
Also, I see on another site that CA barrel crowns are both chamfered and recessed with the chrome extending all the way out to the entire recessed surface (this particular feature I really like). How are the 14.5 middys' re-crowning finished? Are they re-chromed to come out just like the factory crowns or just phosphated?

BigJoe
02-03-10, 20:51
hey monty email sent on the lowside

wild_wild_wes
02-03-10, 22:32
Diameter under handguards?

As I measured mine: .680", tapering down to .600".

wild_wild_wes
02-03-10, 22:35
Since the first batch of 14.5 middys are to be cut down from 16's, how significant will the loss in tapering be compared to the "factory" 16 or 12 which I assume are rifled with the same preset taper measurement at the end?

There is no taper in front of the gas block, just a straight .680".

Col_Crocs
02-03-10, 23:37
Thanks for responding Wes. Sorry, I shouldve been more clear. I was referring to the tapered bore feature of CA HF barrels for added accuracy and not the exterior profile.

grinch
02-04-10, 00:43
Rob-its a gov profile under the handguards and I'll get the weight here soon.

Crocs-it will not have a recessed crown and yes some not all of the tapper will be gone from the bore.

Joe- rog will check it tomorrow

Thanks
Monty

Col_Crocs
02-04-10, 00:47
Thanks Grinch! a couple of final clarifications... The factory 16 mid weight, 16 light and 12 light HF barrels all still come with the same chromed recessed crowns as well as the same tapered bore dimensions and only differ slightly in exterior profiles/dimensions? lastly, what are the actual markings on your current barrels? The ones on the first page are stamped with Centurion Arms HF 1-7 and I see some around the web stamped with the CA logo...

SuicideHz
02-04-10, 15:45
Monty-

You guys get those 14.5s cut yet?

I just noticed your 12.5s are midlength systems too, but are lightweight. I'm considering one of those instead but don't want a huge POI shift between supressed and unsupressed. I have a 21 oz. Gemtech G5 that will be hanging off of the end...

rob_s
02-04-10, 15:51
I just noticed your 12.5s are midlength systems too,

how did you arrive at that conclusion? The pic that starts this thread shows a 12.5" with carbine gas system, and 16" with mid-length gas system. Is a mid-length gas even possible on a 12.5"?

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1020080.jpg

SuicideHz
02-04-10, 16:00
The chart on the page is where I got the info.

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=19&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=133

Of course it can be done- probably with an enlarge gas port and probably not a problem if always run suppressed without any work done.

rob_s
02-04-10, 16:58
Hmmm, interesting. Since the pic shows one thing and the website shows another.

I can see where there is room for it, I just haven't ever seen it and I'm not sure if there's a benefit or not in terms of operation.

SMGLee
02-04-10, 17:37
the 12.5 is a carbine length...

Col_Crocs
02-04-10, 18:17
SMG, any ideas what the current barrel markings are? I see the ones here stamped Centurion Arms HF 1-7 and I see some around the web stamped with the CA logo...
Also more importantly, what crowns do the current ones come with? The barrel I saw stamped with the CA logo showed a beautiful chromed recessed crown which I dont see judging from the angle of the photos on the thread.

wild_wild_wes
02-04-10, 19:46
Mine was stamped stamped Centurion Arms HF 1-7; no CA logo.

grinch
02-05-10, 00:49
The 12.5in is a carbine length that was a commo error with me and the web guy I will get it corrected.

I have some of both on hand now the no logo ones were from a shorter previous run of barrels the current large run has the logo on them.

The crown is a flat crown on the current run of barrels.

Thanks
Monty

Voodoochild
02-05-10, 01:52
As usual I see great things coming from CA and Monty. First the MK12 and now this. Any plans for a MK18 setup or a 10.3"-10.5" Barrel?

Col_Crocs
02-05-10, 09:27
Thanks for the response Wes and Monty. I really appreciate you guys addressing a query as superficial and I guess cosmetic as barrel markings.
As for the flat crowns, any reasons as to why youve decided to go with flat over the recessed? Also, am I correct to assume chroming still goes out all the way to the chamfered portion of the crown atleast?

buggsb
02-05-10, 18:22

Thanks
Monty

This would be awesome!!!....

wild_wild_wes
02-05-10, 22:33

Thanks
Monty

In the future will you perhaps produce 14.5" barrels on their own, or will they always be cut down 16"ers?

grinch
02-06-10, 01:29
Wes,

Everything depends on moving what I have and what the demand is for the 14.5in.

Thanks
Monty

Rana
02-06-10, 13:39
Wes,

Everything depends on moving what I have and what the demand is for the 14.5in.

Thanks
Monty

Monty is to the DI AR15 what LAV is to the 1911.

He is an absolute student to the design and perhaps one of, if not the premier SME of any of the current real world end users.

I have talked for many hours with Monty on what the best Barrel Lengths of a DI AR15 variant are and why. We both shared the opinion that a 16.1" Barrel was optimum for the 5.56 cartridge in many respects. And in a shorty platform the 12.5" was perhaps best for a DI gun.

Perhaps Monty can elaborate on these barrel length choices for some prospective. Personally I see no allure in a 14.5" barrel. The DI ones that are currently being fielded by many of our overseas end users are rarely being toted outside LW Operations; and even these are currently being displaced by 7.62 weapons in the major LW theater.

To those that would prefer a 14.5" AR15 over a 16.1" one, Why? Is there something gained in a shorter by 1.5" barrel that I am missing? If a short barrel is what one seeks then the 12.5" seems to be the right choice for so many more reasons.

Monty? What say you?

wild_wild_wes
02-06-10, 15:53
The 14.5" inch is the shortest I can legally own in my state.

Rana
02-06-10, 15:58
The 14.5" inch is the shortest I can legally own in my state.

Isn't 14.5" still SBR restricted by NFA and CA State Law?

YVK
02-06-10, 16:06
To those that would prefer a 14.5" AR15 over a 16.1" one, Why? Is there something gained in a shorter by 1.5" barrel that I am missing? If a short barrel is what one seeks then the 12.5" seems to be the right choice for so many more reasons.

My 14.5" middy BCM, standard profile, weighs less and swings target-to-target faster than 16" middy Noveske, lightweight profile. If I knew what I know about this now, I wouldn't have had it cut because the difference is too small to me, but nonetheless the difference is there. For those who want to cut as much weight as possible out of their rifles, for right or wrong reasons, this could be important, who knows...
I would've absolutely positively preferred 12.5, if not for three letters attached to it - NFA. Or NFE, if you will...

P.S. I think Wes and I imply 14.5+pinned FH as shortest non-NFA option.

Rana
02-06-10, 16:29
My 14.5" middy BCM, standard profile, weighs less and swings target-to-target faster than 16" middy Noveske, lightweight profile. If I knew what I know about this now, I wouldn't have had it cut because the difference is too small to me, but nonetheless the difference is there. For those who want to cut as much weight as possible out of their rifles, for right or wrong reasons, this could be important, who knows...
I would've absolutely positively preferred 12.5, if not for three letters attached to it - NFA. Or NFE, if you will...

P.S. I think Wes and I imply 14.5+pinned FH as shortest non-NFA option.

Bringing it to 16 or so inches?

I think I see what you are saying but it still doesn't completely register in my head. I am a little slow sometimes.

rob_s
02-06-10, 16:35
14.5 will give me the lightest non-NFA w/ a permananent FH. only reason I want one.

I think I am going with 1200* silver solder instead of pinning. I will try it on an SBR lower first anf then solder it when I know I like it.

Rana
02-06-10, 16:46
14.5 will give me the lightest non-NFA w/ a permanent FH. only reason I want one.

I think I am going with 1200* silver solder instead of pinning. I will try it on an SBR lower first and then solder it when I know I like it.

Check. I see that there is a different perspective based on where you are coming from. If one lived in a state that allowed it opting to go NFA and running a 12.5" would be worth the effort. For those who don't then I guess 14.5 with a perm attached FH is the shortest and lightest possible option. That 1.5" of steel and FH may pose more to handle on a micro scale than a 16" w/ FH.

YVK
02-06-10, 16:47
I am a little slow sometimes.

Reading your posts on this and other websites for a few years now, I have not noticed that.

Bringing it to 16 or so inches?

Yes. The above mentioned 14.5 BCM has a PWS FH pinned for a permanent length of 16.1. It is slightly shorter than 16 Noveske with KAC QD FH, but it is lighter. Since the weight is taken off at the very end of a barrel, it is more noticeable than if this same weight were to be shaved off everywhere else (i.e. lighter optic etc.).

I do want to repeat that I wouldn't've done it again. The difference is marginal. Pinning of FH limits the choice of handguards unless one is OK with "jailing" of his preferred handguard by a FH. In retrospect, none of that was worth it for me.

wild_wild_wes
02-06-10, 21:49
14.5 will give me the lightest non-NFA w/ a permananent FH. only reason I want one.

Since the weight is taken off at the very end of a barrel, it is more noticeable than if this same weight were to be shaved off everywhere else (i.e. lighter optic etc.).

This I why I'm lobbying for a true Lightweight barrel here.

Heavier barrels have their place; I ordered a Centurion 16" midweight for that role. However, there is also a need for very good quality Lightweight barrels, for the reason Rob mentioned- the lightest rifle possible. People seem to forget that ARs are supposed to be lightweight weapons; A good small arms engineer ought to see the need. Three centuries of firearms design tells us that barrels go from fat to skinny, chamber to muzzle, and not the other way around.

I hate the Government profile with a bloody passion. It makes no sense from an engineering standpoint, because it was designed by government comittie; none of us are going to be using our rifles to pry open crates!The extra weight hanging off the barrel serves no need. Get rid of it. When I get my Centurion "Lightweight" 14.5" barrel, the first thing that I will do is have my gunsmith mill down the "government" bit to a proper .600"- which is a shame to do to a hammer-forged barrel, which should designed with the correct profile straight from the manufacturer.

rob_s
02-07-10, 07:09
Check. I see that there is a different perspective based on where you are coming from. If one lived in a state that allowed it opting to go NFA and running a 12.5" would be worth the effort. For those who don't then I guess 14.5 with a perm attached FH is the shortest and lightest possible option. That 1.5" of steel and FH may pose more to handle on a micro scale than a 16" w/ FH.

My state allows SBRs, and I already have three, one of which sports an 11.5" .625" dia. barrel. But there is a lot to be said for not paying the extra $200, not having the gun on paper, etc. Traveling is less of a hassle, "the man" in general is less of a hassle, and it's something I can loan out to another shooter without issue.

I do want to repeat that I wouldn't've done it again. The difference is marginal. Pinning of FH limits the choice of handguards unless one is OK with "jailing" of his preferred handguard by a FH. In retrospect, none of that was worth it for me.

It's funny, I never would have done it before and have talked others down off the cliff, and still WOULDN'T do it for my only AR, but I have changed my mind with all these lighter-weight options available now. I'm going to do a 14.5" pinned Brakeout w/ 9.0 Troy Vtac Extreme.

Iron-sapper
02-07-10, 09:29
Rob,

If your lightweight 14.5 inch is running midlength gas system the 9" handguard won't cover your gas block. Can't wait to see some pictures.

rob_s
02-07-10, 09:56
No, it'll be a carbine gas.

YVK
02-07-10, 10:13
My state allows SBRs, and I already have three, one of which sports an 11.5" .625" dia. barrel. But there is a lot to be said for not paying the extra $200, not having the gun on paper, etc. Traveling is less of a hassle, "the man" in general is less of a hassle, and it's something I can loan out to another shooter without issue.

It's funny, I never would have done it before and have talked others down off the cliff, and still WOULDN'T do it for my only AR, but I have changed my mind with all these lighter-weight options available now. I'm going to do a 14.5" pinned Brakeout w/ 9.0 Troy Vtac Extreme.

My state allows SBRs too; I wouldn't get one on principle, but that's a separate discussion.

Yep, I know you've argued against it before, and I read your posts on this matter before I did mine. Just shows how people's needs, opinions and reasons may change over time. Mine, besides weight and length reduction, was also a multifaceted learning project, i.e.:
the magnitude of difference vs. 16" 0.625 Noveske?
what happens with accuracy if bbl is cut-down?
can 14.5 middy run reliably across wide range of ammo and conditions? etc.

Speaking of last two, and in attempt to steer this thread back to discussion of Centurion CHF barrels:
Monty, how did you figure out a gas port size for your 14.5 middies, and, of more interest, what accuracy difference do you see between your 16" CHF vs 16" Recce barrels?

grinch
02-07-10, 20:56
I chose 16in and 12.5in as I feel these are the best lengths for the cartridge. The 16in for me is the most versatile. Its the minimum legal length with out giving up the ability to change flash hiders and breaks and try new cans ect. I feel that a 16in give me what I need in performance from a 5.56 rifle if I need more that what that offers I'm in an environment that its time to step up to a 7.62. The Recce rifle that later turned into the MK12 program started as a 16in precision rifle and does a great job as a precision weapon in 5.56. If I wanted a carbine as an assaulter or as a general purpose carbine then I'm a fan of the 12.5in barrel its the shortest you can get and still have good terminal performance out of a large variety of ammunition that is on the market. The 12.5 also gives you enough dwell time to be reliable with a wider variety of ammo and in a wider variety of environments it just has a wider operation envelope then the shorter barrels and is a GREAT all around length.

YVK- There are a few little tricks you can do to figure out the gas port size ;) I'm going to reserve any accuracy guarantee for right now on the cut barrels not because of the chrome but because of the taper bore and the fact that you are removing some of it. The Recce will hold its accuracy better during heavier strings of fire being heavier it will absorb the heat better also a heavier rifle is much easier to shoot. The chamber in the Recce is designed for SMK ogive bullet set to magazine length and have minimum jump into the lands and grooves. It will shoot better with those bullets then the hammer forged barrels but for practical accuracy its kinda splitting hairs.

wild_wild_wes
02-07-10, 22:33
Ahhh, there are two paradigms for 5.56 barrel lengths: 10", 14.5", and 18"; or 12.5", 16", 20".

Monty seems like a #2 guy, except he ditches the 20" and goes straight to 7.62!

grinch
02-08-10, 01:22
Wes- you are correct I lean toward the longer batch of barrels.:D I do look forward to the SCAR heavies hitting the market and will be interested in watching how it changes and develops over the next 10 years or so.

I was not able to get the batch cut to 14.5 last week it was a crazy week I hope to get it done next week.

jvencius
02-08-10, 03:27
Monty is to the DI AR15 what LAV is to the 1911.

He is an absolute student to the design and perhaps one of, if not the premier SME of any of the current real world end users.

Per one of the guys from the teams out of Coronado who I checked in (I work at the base hotel on Vandenberg AFB), "Monty is the 5.56 DUDE on the West coast". Given the enthusiasm with which he said that, it was pretty clear he holds Monty's work in very high regard and so I look forward to one of his uppers once my eye surgery is paid for...

RyanS
02-08-10, 09:39
Monty,

Might have missed this, but any idea when these will be available with a FSB? Thanks.

grinch
02-08-10, 19:23
Ryan,

I plan on getting to that soon I need to get some ordered.

Thanks
Monty

RyanS
02-08-10, 21:42
Ryan,

I plan on getting to that soon I need to get some ordered.

Thanks
Monty

Awesome. Do you plan on offering complete barrel assembilies or barrels with the FSB only?

SMGLee
02-12-10, 12:46
Centurion Arms build CQB-R for a local Southern California PD SWAT team.

Centurion Arms 12.5inch carbine length hammer forged barrel.
Daniel Defense 10" Lite Rail
Centurion Arms low profile gas block (pinned)
Centurion Arms HK style irons sights
Centurion Arms MPI Bolt carrier group and charging handle

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1040301.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1040302.jpg

556mp
02-16-10, 15:47
I received my 16" LW in the mail the other day and figured I'd post some pics and a small review. Downside is that I have not received all of my parts to assemble the rifle and shoot yet, but, within the next week I'll be shooting and let everyone know!

The quality appears to be exceptional. The rifling (as should be for a HF barrel) Is very clean, deep, and sharp. The Park is very nice, however, I ended up wearing some of it off installing my gas block as the fit was tight. Good thing. A little oil on the park and it darkened up real nice.

Overall, extremely happy and can't wait to shoot it!

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/556mp/IMG_0740.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/556mp/IMG_0741.jpg

Voodoochild
02-16-10, 16:06
Centurion Arms build CQB-R for a local Southern California PD SWAT team.

Centurion Arms 12.5inch carbine length hammer forged barrel.
Daniel Defense 10" Lite Rail
Centurion Arms low profile gas block (pinned)
Centurion Arms HK style irons sights
Centurion Arms MPI Bolt carrier group and charging handle

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1040301.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1040302.jpg

1. Very nice
2. I sure hope Monty comes out with 12.5 barrels
3. I sure hope Monty comes out with 12.5 barrels
4. Very nice. I would expect nothing but absolute masterpieces from Monty.

mhall
02-16-10, 18:23
556mp. i am in the same boat as you. my 16" lightweight barrel came in the mail today and i am still waiting on a few parts so i can send it off for the urx 2 install. i am hoping in a couple weeks i can try mine out, Mike

biodegraded
02-18-10, 22:23
Monty, do you have an update on the 14.5" LW project?

Regarding Rana's question of why 14.5" - same as others have mentioned: shortest I can go without NFA shenanigans. I agree that 12.5" is a better technical solution for CQB, but the legal solution in my case dictates 14.5" with a permanent FH.

I already have a 16" middy (Noveske), otherwise I'd get a 16" LW from Monty, too. Actually, it's hard to not spring for one even though I don't "need" it. Then there's the SPR Siren call. I don't know if I should be glad Monty's making stuff or to curse him...

spamsammich
02-21-10, 02:38
I dropped by Rainier on Thursday and couldn't resist picking up this barrel once I picked it up. I'm really glad I went with the 16", I already breezed through 2 VERY different rail systems to figure out how I wanted the gun to end up. I don't miss my pinned 14.5" barrels at all.

LW profile
http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2685.jpg
Staked Stag gas block (tight fit!!!)
http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2686.jpg
Barrel markings
http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2674.jpg
Viking Tactics Extreme rail by Troy
http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2691.jpg
Finished upper
http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2693.jpg
Ready to rock on my N4 Lower
http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2670.jpg

I shot some Centurion (no relation) ammo today with it, didn't get around to shooting any 75gr unfortunately. Best groups at 50 yards I've ever shot with irons. I'll try for 100 yard groups some time next month or in April. My travel schedule is going to limit my range time.

SPDGG
02-25-10, 20:23
Monty,

Will the Centurion Arms Low Profile Gas Block/Pinned clear the Daniels Defense M4A1 RAS 11?

Thanks you

grinch
03-08-10, 23:12
Guy sorry for the delay but glad to say we have the 14.5in and 10.5in on hand now.

So the line up we offer is not: 10.5in, 12.5in, 14.5in and 16in In a few weeks we will get some FSP and get some mounted for sale.

Yes my gas block will fit under the DD rails.

Thanks
Monty

biodegraded
03-08-10, 23:31
Monty, glad you're back safe from where ever you were sent. I'll email to Centurion about the 14.5 build I'm interested in after Wed (work crunch next couple days.)

spamsammich
03-09-10, 00:20
I managed to squeeze some range time in yesterday. Let me preface this pic by admitting that I'm a terrible shot, but I don't see many groups posted with this barrel. Here goes:

Indoor range, 25 yards, 68F, no wind using gun show cheap reloads (I know, I know) and iron sights. This was to confirm a previous 50 yard IBZ. Sadly these are the best groups I've shot with just irons using this ammo. I've done a little better with Centurion ammo at 50yds but I don't have pics of that group. POA was the top of the black circle. I don't really show off what the barrel can do except for the 4 rounds stacked on top of each other. Yes, they were consecutive trigger pulls.

http://web.me.com/supermarkus/iWeb/Site/Centurion%20upper_files/IMG_2754.jpg

I'm willing to bet Monty can build me an upper with this barrel that can out shoot this frankengun I cobbled together with his barrel. I'm saving up for a proper Centurion upper later this year.

crowkiller
03-09-10, 07:00
Guy sorry for the delay but glad to say we have the 14.5in and 10.5in on hand now.

So the line up we offer is not: 10.5in, 12.5in, 14.5in and 16in In a few weeks we will get some FSP and get some mounted for sale.

Thanks
Monty

:cool:

RyanS
03-09-10, 09:01

Thanks
Monty

Yessssss......

wickedyz
03-09-10, 20:29
A few questions for Monty-
1. What riser is that under the EOTECH?
2. I haven't seen the new railed hand guard up on the site yet, is it ready for release?
3. Which 16" barrel would you recommend for a GP recce rifle?

I am looking at picking up one of your rifles once I get back stateside and these answers would make it a bit easier to narrow down my final selection. Thanks.

RyanS
03-09-10, 22:10
Monty,

Are these barrels optimized for any particular loads? Thanks.

Jimbo45
03-11-10, 23:15
Question: Just curious, what are the faint grooves, or lines in the finish, that run the length of the barrel, from? I have seen another brand of barrel with this appearance, and am curious to what part of the manufacturing process, causes that? Lathe machining marks run around the circumference of the barrel, unlike these marks. Anyone know? You can see what I am referring to, in the pic below....

I received my 16" LW in the mail the other day .....-snip-http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/556mp/IMG_0740.jpg

SuicideHz
03-12-10, 00:31
I would guess those were created by the hammer forging process...

Jimbo45
03-12-10, 16:41
I would guess those were created by the hammer forging process...

I would think so, too, but my Sabre barrel, has these same marks, but is not supposed to be hammer forged, as far as I know.?

Voodoochild
03-12-10, 16:49
I'm a little confused. You do offer 12.5 barrels or no?

spamsammich
03-12-10, 17:52
I'm a little confused. You do offer 12.5 barrels or no?

I saw them on the site yesterday.

Voodoochild
03-13-10, 04:45
I see I was looking under the wrong section. They are under uppers and I was looking in Barrels...

Mark71
03-13-10, 05:08
I see I was looking under the wrong section. They are under uppers and I was looking in Barrels...

They are listed under barrels as well...

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=47

12.5in carbine length, light weight

-12.5 inch carbine length, light weight.
-cold hammer forged
-M4 extended feed ramp
-taper bore
-HP/MPI tested
-1lb, 5.1oz Stripped / 1 lb, 7.1oz with pinned Centurion Arms gas block

Voodoochild
03-13-10, 05:39
Well shit don't I feel stupid..

556mp
03-13-10, 11:13
Question: Just curious, what are the faint grooves, or lines in the finish, that run the length of the barrel, from? I have seen another brand of barrel with this appearance, and am curious to what part of the manufacturing process, causes that? Lathe machining marks run around the circumference of the barrel, unlike these marks. Anyone know? You can see what I am referring to, in the pic below....

To me it looked like some sort of finishing that was done after the barrel was cut, or after the barrel was parked. You don't really see it once you oil it anyway... Besides... It looks cool and most importantly -- shoots great!

Jimbo45
03-13-10, 16:23
To me it looked like some sort of finishing that was done after the barrel was cut, or after the barrel was parked. You don't really see it once you oil it anyway... Besides... It looks cool and most importantly -- shoots great!

I am not concerned about how it looks, I was just curious as to what the marks are caused by, because I have this on my Sabre barrel as well. Its just kinda strange. I was hoping grinch, or someone else that knows, could weigh in....

BAC
03-13-10, 16:30
Perhaps the "hammers" that forge the barrel? If I recall, an article I read on hammer forged barrels showed a machine having four quarter-cylinder "hammers" that might leave grooves like you describe and what the picture shows.

-B

mtdawg169
03-18-10, 08:37
Monty, sent you a PM.

Mitch
04-18-10, 18:17
A little bump for range reports, new builds, or any updates

ruf
04-23-10, 02:46
1,500 rounds during classes. 200-600 rounds/day. No issues to report. Holds 1MOA with PRVI 69gr match and an unmagnified T1. Drives target-to-target easily, and midlength shoots flat. Not much else to say. Buy one. Or five.

CJFirefly
04-23-10, 19:49
1,500 rounds during classes. 200-600 rounds/day. No issues to report. Holds 1MOA with PRVI 69gr match and an unmagnified T1. Drives target-to-target easily, and midlength shoots flat. Not much else to say. Buy one. Or five.

Did you get the complete Centurion upper or just the barrel and build one up yourself?

wild_wild_wes
04-24-10, 00:21
I would really like to see Centurion do some Lightweight barrels.

spamsammich
04-24-10, 00:49
I have one of their lightweight barrels. Do you mean pencil barrels?

rob_s
04-24-10, 03:58
I would really like to see Centurion do some Lightweight barrels.

Why?

I think that these are a great option on the market. Ignoring the CHF aspect we now have (in order from heaviest to lightest) the Noveske N4, Centurion, BCM, and Daniel Defense barrel profiles. I think it's a fantastic array of choices and when you look at the incremental differences between them it's frankly amazing that they exist.

Col_Crocs
04-24-10, 19:26
Monty, do you still have some of your in-house-cut-down 14.5 middys left? There's guy in the General AR Discussion thread looking to cut down a 16middy and several of us suggested he just get a 14.5 and save the 16.
On a side note, with the current sell through of 14.5middys... Any plans of doing factory ones?

grinch
04-24-10, 22:44
Crocs,

I sure do feel free to send him my way I have then on hand now.

Thanks
Monty

wild_wild_wes
04-25-10, 01:13
Why?

I think that these are a great option on the market. Ignoring the CHF aspect we now have (in order from heaviest to lightest) the Noveske N4, Centurion, BCM, and Daniel Defense barrel profiles. I think it's a fantastic array of choices and when you look at the incremental differences between them it's frankly amazing that they exist.

Noveske N4 are not available barrel-only. Very expensive. No midlength gas either.

BCM and DD do not currently have any 16" light midlength gas barrels available.

EDIT: I have a Centurion midweight. But another option, as you say, would be welcome!

shootist~
04-25-10, 08:55
Noveske N4 are not available barrel-only. Very expensive. No midlength gas either.

The Noveske N4 Light Reece and Reece Basic are mid length gas.

mtdawg169
04-25-10, 09:22
The n4 is available for custom builds & in midlength configuration. It is comparable in price with the centurion & comes with a pinned gas block. The only downside is that you can't order the barrel by itself.

nickdrak
05-22-10, 05:22
Monty,

Do you still have some of the 14.5" middys available? If so, could you post a pic of one here? Im interested....

grinch
05-22-10, 12:43
I do and I'll see if I can get a pic up.

Thanks
Monty

ic_guerrero
06-03-10, 16:56
Monty,

Do you have any 10.5" uppers left?

grinch
06-04-10, 19:23
I do but they are tucked away where my helper will not be able to find them LOL so I can ship when I get back home around the 15th.

Thanks

nickdrak
06-12-10, 22:54
I do but they are tucked away where my helper will not be able to find them LOL so I can ship when I get back home around the 15th.

Thanks

Still interested in a pic of a 14.5" middy barrel. Specifically the crown area if possible....

grinch
07-29-10, 23:45
Now available in

10.5in, 11.5in, 12.5in, 14.5in and 16in

also with FSP

Col_Crocs
07-30-10, 00:28
Grinch, are these now factory lengths? Checked your site and it's not listed yet.

spamsammich
07-30-10, 00:38
Grinch, are these now factory lengths? Checked your site and it's not listed yet.

They're listed on the site, I'm looking at the options list right now.

grinch
07-30-10, 02:55
You have to use the drop down menu I'll try to get pics up soon. I also added the FSP as an option instead of just the gas block.

Thanks
Monty

Col_Crocs
07-30-10, 04:18
Woops! My bad. THanks!
Monty, Im also curious, when you did 14.5 midlength cut downs, did you try running them with the ports as is -- at 16 mid spec size?
Im wondering if this is functionally feasible the same way a 14.5" carbine can be cut down to 12.5" without having to open up the port.
It would theoretically make for an even softer shooting system.

grinch
08-01-10, 20:56
Col,

That is correct I did not need to open the gas port at all for it to run.

http://imageevent.com/smglee/ca?p=1&n=1&m=16&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=4

http://imageevent.com/smglee/ca?p=2&n=1&m=16&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=4

grinch
08-01-10, 22:35
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ca/icons/P1000109.JPG

grinch
08-01-10, 22:36
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ca/icons/P1000116.JPG

556mp
08-04-10, 20:48
Ive had a few people ask me to post some accuracy reports with the 16" L/W barrel. So here is a picture of the rifle and my results at a 25yd range.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/556mp/IMG_0972.jpg

My range session began with zeroing the rifle. I started with sighting in my new EoTech using a 55gr BT hand-load. Loaded to duplicate M193. Cold barrel groups were decent. My groups at 25yd were approximately the size of a dime. Mind you the rifle could do better than that with a quality shooter behind it. I was not in the game today. Regardless, the session continued. I was calling the shots and they were hitting where I called them. Shooter error played a large part in the mediocre results.

So, what I decided to do in order to overcome this and display some of the potential of this barrel was shoot a 20 shot group. Now, I had already put over 100 rounds down range in a relatively short period of time. The gun was HOT. The handguard was hot to the touch forward of the VFG. I splashed a little water on the barrel to see just how hot it was and the water instantly evaporated.

Anyway... This was shot using 77gr Sierra Matchkings loaded in new Winchester brass. The powder load was 24gr of Varget, measured in a POS Lee powder measurer. Not the best results with this Lee product, but its what I had.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/556mp/IMG_0970.jpg

As you can see there are five or so "fliers." Minus the fliers the group can be covered with a nickle. I did not have the best of results today, and had a limited distance to shoot. But overall I am satisfied with the results as I know the gun will shoot better than I can make it. This weekend I'll pick up some BH 77gr and have my buddy blast some rounds out at 100yd with a cold barrel and post those results.

BlueOvalFan
09-02-10, 23:37
Monty,

I've searched through several threads and your website and still wondering if you sell a matched BCG for your barrels. I just feel better knowing at least the bolt is coming from the same manufacture and properly head spaced to their barrels. I know any mil-spec bolt should work, but I'm just weird like that.

Lastly, do you folks offer MIL/LEO discounts?

Thanks...

grinch
09-03-10, 00:03
I can head space a bolt for you and sell that with the barrel if you wish to ensure it is correct.

Thanks
Monty

decodeddiesel
09-03-10, 12:57
Almost have enough $$ socked away to buy one of your barrels Monty. Now I just need to deciede if I want a 16" or a 14.5". This will not be going on my SBR lower, as I want an non-NFA upper I can bring across state lines without hassle so if I get the 14.5" I will be pinning a Battlecomp 1.5 to it.

I suppose I should just ask the source. Monty, in your expert opinion, would you say you recoil impulse from the 14.5" is that much smoother than the 16" to facilitate the hassle of a perm-pinned muzzle device?

grinch
09-03-10, 16:52
I would say that any difference is not significant and go with the 16in since you will not need to perm attach anything and keep your options open.

Thanks
Monty

M4Fundi
09-17-10, 03:14
Monty have you done an accuracy test on the 14.5 cut down barrels that you can report? Did you notice any appreciable decrease in accuracy in the 14.5" from the 16" barrel's accuracy?

wild_wild_wes
09-17-10, 08:02
I thought the 14.5s are now manufactured that way rather than being cut down.

M4Fundi
09-17-10, 13:39
I don't know. I'm reading up on these as fast as I can find threads. The Centurion website is still obviously a work in progress.

MY BAD "work in progress" I thought the site was not up to date on product line, evidently I just can't navigate a website as well as my 9 yr old nephews can:confused: The site is up to date and I'm going to get some web foo lessons from the boys later;)

grinch
09-18-10, 10:31
The cut down are done on CNC and are extremely good jobs. They have been shooting very good for me I've had no issues.

556mp
09-19-10, 19:16
The cut down are done on CNC and are extremely good jobs. They have been shooting very good for me I've had no issues.

The machine work I can vouch for as being top notch. Beautiful work. As far as shooting, I have not shot mine yet...:(

HETZ1313
09-21-10, 20:09
Monty can you permanently attach a surefire brake on one at your shop?

Stickman
09-23-10, 18:57
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Centurion%20Arms/868W9869-1024-Stick.jpg

BlueOvalFan
09-30-10, 16:32
I can head space a bolt for you and sell that with the barrel if you wish to ensure it is correct.

Thanks
Monty
Monty!

Ok--talked a few friends into buying some barrels and including two for me I just placed my order late last night.

Please check your email and let me know when you think you can ship (Hopefully in a week or so...).

Thanks!

zukiii
10-16-10, 11:42
I placed an order for a 14.5 mid at the first part of the week. I'm having it shipped to ADCO to have a 1.5 Battlecomp pinned. When I receive my barrel I just have to wait for the Centurion C4 rails to be released and my first build will be complete!!

grinch
11-13-10, 16:54
Just FYI we will have a new line of uppers soon with all our barrels lengths in the builds.

Deputyrpa
11-14-10, 04:17
The machine work I can vouch for as being top notch. Beautiful work. As far as shooting, I have not shot mine yet...:(

I agree! As far as shooting, I am grouping well within my CompM2 4MOA dot at 50 yards. I'm going to throw a VX-3 on it and see what it can do at yardage, as soon as I finish the horse barn.

M4Fundi
11-14-10, 22:39
Maybe Molon could do some barrel tests on these;)

eternal24k
11-15-10, 11:23
Maybe Molon could do some barrel tests on these;)

that would be nice, I always enjoy his posts

500grains
11-15-10, 12:26
Yup, Molon's evaluations definitely kick butt.

Magic_Salad0892
11-16-10, 01:34
What is the Gas Port size on the midlength?

Are all of the barrels optimized for 77 gr. match ammo?

crowkiller
11-16-10, 08:35
What is the Gas Port size on the midlength?

Are all of the barrels optimized for 77 gr. match ammo?

According to the website the Recce and MK12 barrels are optimized for use with MK262 (Black Hills 77gr equivalent), the hammer forged barrels are standard 5.56 chamber.

ruf
11-24-10, 00:15
Just FYI we will have a new line of uppers soon with all our barrels lengths in the builds.Hi Monty,

Will these uppers be available separately? Tired of juggling uppers and barrels.

GrumpyM4
02-11-11, 01:57
What are my chances of getting a mid-weight, 14.5 inch barrel with a mid-length gas system?

TehLlama
02-12-11, 01:55
I placed an order for a 14.5 mid at the first part of the week. I'm having it shipped to ADCO to have a 1.5 Battlecomp pinned. When I receive my barrel I just have to wait for the Centurion C4 rails to be released and my first build will be complete!!

Care to post pictures in here? I remember seeing them, and your rifle is absolutely stunning.

rob_s
02-12-11, 15:26
10.5" Centurion barreled upper mates nicely to the 7.9 rail.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/photo1-1-5.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/photo2-1-5.jpg

m1a_scoutguy
02-12-11, 16:05
One "Bad Ass" Upper Rob,,:D:D,would love to play with something like that someday !!! Thanks for sharing !!!

SMT85
02-16-11, 19:32
not to bring back an old thread but i stumbled across it.
if i read correctly you are not adjusting gas port size with the cut 14.5 mid lengths.

are there any reliability problems as far as cold weather shooting or
firing under powered ammo when using a proper buffer.

also does the light weight profile take heat better being it is made out of machine gun spec steel compared to standard.

thanks

polydeuces
02-20-11, 20:38
Just "discovered" Centurion arms barrels, after being able to score a Noveske matching receiver set. (Coldhandarms, gtg!)

Was in the middle of building a DD upper (16" mid, CHF), and got to thinking about maybe putting that DD barrel on the Noveske, but after reading about Centurion am really tempted. And still would need to get another tube.....
(Looks like I'll be building a recce upper.)
Without questioning either their undoubtedly excellent products, what would be the better match for the Noveske?
Don't have the need/bread for the Noveske barrel, and it appears they both -Centurion & Noveske -get barrels from pac-nor, but that's neither here nor there.
Thanks.

ctrmass
02-21-11, 14:58
Just "discovered" Centurion arms barrels, after being able to score a Noveske matching receiver set. (Coldhandarms, gtg!)

Was in the middle of building a DD upper (16" mid, CHF), and got to thinking about maybe putting that DD barrel on the Noveske, but after reading about Centurion am really tempted. And still would need to get another tube.....
(Looks like I'll be building a recce upper.)
Without questioning either their undoubtedly excellent products, what would be the better match for the Noveske?
Don't have the need/bread for the Noveske barrel, and it appears they both -Centurion & Noveske -get barrels from pac-nor, but that's neither here nor there.
Thanks.

You sound like me. a dozen projects at once.:D

spamsammich
02-21-11, 15:24
Thanks.

While neither here nor there, the belief that the chrome lined hammer forged barrels relevant to this thread are from pac nor is misinformation as far as I have researched. When I purchased mine they were from the FN forge like the Noveske chrome lined barrels and turned down to custom profiles. Either barrel will do fine. The DD can be had in a lighter profile if you prefer a lightweight gun.

polydeuces
02-21-11, 15:57
So neither Noveske nor Centurion gets any barrels from pac-nor, or only certain kinds?
(this could get really confusing..)

Planning to finish the DD upper (receiver/barrel/bcg) as a regular mid, then build light weight upper with the Noveske receiver and Centurion CHF lightweight barrel. (BCM or DD bcg)
Should be gtg, right?

CQC.45
02-23-11, 11:48
Monty,

I posed this question in an email to you, but thought I would put it here so that it could benefit everyone.

Regarding the 14.5” barrels, are they still cut or are they now manufactured that way?

If they are cut, wouldn’t that cut off some of the taper off of the end (there was 3” at the end of a 16” if I recall correctly) so that there would only be 1.5”ish of taper?

If this is the case, would this have a slight negative effect on accuracy as compared to the 16” versions?

Thanks!

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 12:21
So neither Noveske nor Centurion gets any barrels from pac-nor, or only certain kinds?
(this could get really confusing..)

Planning to finish the DD upper (receiver/barrel/bcg) as a regular mid, then build light weight upper with the Noveske receiver and Centurion CHF lightweight barrel. (BCM or DD bcg)
Should be gtg, right?

Noveske SS barrels are from Pac-Nor. Noveske does the turning and profiling.

There was an article posted here last year where John Noveske said they are using Pac-Nor's facilities with their own tooling for their barrels, and the blanks are made to their specs.

FN is supplying some companies with CHF barrels because there are only a few CHF machines in the US. They cost a lot of money and are better for mass production not smaller companies like Noveske and Centurion.

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 12:22
Monty,

I posed this question in an email to you, but thought I would put it here so that it could benefit everyone.

Regarding the 14.5” barrels, are they still cut or are they now manufactured that way?

If they are cut, wouldn’t that cut off some of the taper off of the end (there was 3” at the end of a 16” if I recall correctly) so that there would only be 1.5”ish of taper?

If this is the case, would this have a slight negative effect on accuracy as compared to the 16” versions?

Thanks!

I believe he posted elsewhere the 14.5" barrels are not cut downs anymore. This was several months ago.

CQC.45
02-23-11, 15:15
I believe he posted elsewhere the 14.5" barrels are not cut downs anymore. This was several months ago.

I just looked through this thread and others and couldn’t find where he stated that. Perhaps I overlooked it, could you point out where he said that?

CQC.45
03-02-11, 11:53
No confirmation on the 14.5" barrel manufacturing process?

Belmont31R
03-02-11, 12:05
I'd just send an email to Monty and see what he says. Ive barely been on here in 3-4 days to do any searching.

CQC.45
03-02-11, 14:23
I'd just send an email to Monty and see what he says. Ive barely been on here in 3-4 days to do any searching.

I tried a while ago with no luck (i.e. response). Oh well, would have been nice to know...

mtdawg169
03-02-11, 16:42
I tried a while ago with no luck (i.e. response). Oh well, would have been nice to know...

I'm curious, why would it matter?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

grinch
03-03-11, 05:41
Yes at this time they are still cut down on a CNC machine.

CQC.45
03-03-11, 08:33
Yes at this time they are still cut down on a CNC machine.

I assume this cuts down on the bore taper as well? If so, what effect does this have on accuracy as compared to the 16"?

Thanks!

@mtdawg169 - Check out post #184

grinch
03-03-11, 12:35
It does cut some of the taper bore out but it will still shoot with or better than any of the other barrels on the market that don't have it.

Also I'm planning on pulling the 1 MOA guarantee off the barrels anyway and only applying it to the uppers. There are other factors that go into accuracy and when I ship just a barrel I have no control of the other factors of the build.

mtdawg169
03-03-11, 15:02
Monty,

Thanks!

My understanding of the HF process is that the taper runs the entire length of the bore, from one end to the other. I may be mistaken on this, but if that is correct, you're losing 1.5" of the total 16" and not 50% of the total taper. Either way, it sounds like Monty will still guarantee accuracy if he builds the upper.

M4Fundi
03-03-11, 18:12
It does cut some of the taper bore out but it will still shoot with or better than any of the other barrels on the market that don't have it.

Also I'm planning on pulling the 1 MOA guarantee off the barrels anyway and only applying it to the uppers. There are other factors that go into accuracy and when I ship just a barrel I have no control of the other factors of the build.

Sounds reasonable to me. You can't guarantee something that is dependent on being "greater than the sum of its parts" when you don't have control over how the "sum" is handled by someone else with your quality "parts"

Turnkey11
03-04-11, 22:53
Gonna tear apart my 13.7" upper, the 12.5" may be the ticket for me.

polydeuces
03-06-11, 10:08
Getting ready to order that Centurion Arms CHF lightweight 16" mid barrel for my Noveske receiver set, so i'm just wondering, without getting too technical, what exactly makes it that "machine-gun" steel used for this barrel - what makes it different from the D.D. barrel-steel (which would be a comparable barrel)?

ctrmass
03-06-11, 14:48
Getting ready to order that Centurion Arms CHF lightweight 16" mid barrel for my Noveske receiver set, so i'm just wondering, without getting too technical, what exactly makes it that "machine-gun" steel used for this barrel - what makes it different from the D.D. barrel-steel (which would be a comparable barrel)?

I have mine sitting here for a few months.
Waiting on the extra $$$ to tie up this little project.

jonconsiglio
05-18-12, 12:05
With Centurion's unique barrel profile (which I like, by the way), can I set a 12.5" up in a Kino configuration?

eternal24k
05-18-12, 12:14
With Centurion's unique barrel profile (which I like, by the way), can I set a 12.5" up in a Kino configuration?

Last I asked, it was a no for kino, but they said they would consider it.
Monty,
Could you provide some info as to which barrels are cut?

jonconsiglio
05-18-12, 14:33
Last I asked, it was a no for kino, but they said they would consider it.
Monty,
Could you provide some info as to which barrels are cut?

Thanks bro. Now, is that "no" it's not possible due to the barrel profile, or because they don't offer it but I can do it on my own?

eternal24k
05-18-12, 16:26
Thanks bro. Now, is that "no" it's not possible due to the barrel profile, or because they don't offer it but I can do it on my own?

It was a no, we are not offering it, but will think about it.

Just looking at my 12.5" I can tell you that it will not work as is, I can grab the calipers but I can tell you it is under .75", you could have it reprofiled and run a .625" front sight post.

jonconsiglio
05-18-12, 16:34
It was a no, we are not offering it, but will think about it.

Just looking at my 12.5" I can tell you that it will not work as is, I can grab the calipers but I can tell you it is under .75", you could have it reprofiled and run a .625" front sight post.

Thanks. I had posted this in the other Centurion thread and someone just posted the same thing. The reason I want the Centurion is the profile, I don't want to turn it down for the FSB.

Well, how much would it affect things turning down that section? Any idea? Think I'll notice as much of a difference in accuracy when it gets hot as I would between a 14.5" standard and lightweight profile?

I've only owned be lightweight barrel, so I'm not too familiar with how it affects shorter barrels. I have a 10.5" that is a solid shooter and want the 12.5" for a couple reasons, one being the accuracy potential. I don't want to give that up though.

eternal24k
05-18-12, 18:35
Thanks. I had posted this in the other Centurion thread and someone just posted the same thing. The reason I want the Centurion is the profile, I don't want to turn it down for the FSB.

Well, how much would it affect things turning down that section? Any idea? Think I'll notice as much of a difference in accuracy when it gets hot as I would between a 14.5" standard and lightweight profile?

I've only owned be lightweight barrel, so I'm not too familiar with how it affects shorter barrels. I have a 10.5" that is a solid shooter and want the 12.5" for a couple reasons, one being the accuracy potential. I don't want to give that up though.
I think Monty could provide the best information, but it is my understanding that the thinner wall at the muzzle will open up faster with heat, so in theory you might lose a little accuracy sooner under rapid fire, but I do not think it would affect accuracy, atleast not initially. It would be a lightweight profile, so it would be comparable.

I have great results with a pencil weight DD, so I imagine the Centurion would do well. I think you just need to figure out your priorities, or wait and beg for a factory Centurion Kino :D

jonconsiglio
05-18-12, 20:02
Thanks man.

I'm not opposed to begging. :D

BC98
05-18-12, 20:32
Thanks man.

I'm not opposed to begging. :D

I had replied to your question in the other thread but had another thought. You could get an FSB for a LW profile and then have it reamed to fit the CA barrel and then pinned.

jet80tv
05-19-12, 16:39
Wow! Looks a hell of a lot like my spikes fn m249 barrel i got for $199(introductory price)stripped. Should be a heck of a barrel

jonconsiglio
05-19-12, 19:34
I had replied to your question in the other thread but had another thought. You could get an FSB for a LW profile and then have it reamed to fit the CA barrel and then pinned.

Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks for the idea. Is the outside diameter of the lightweight FSB enough to be reamed?

Thanks again man.

BC98
05-19-12, 21:15
Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks for the idea. Is the outside diameter of the lightweight FSB enough to be reamed?

Thanks again man.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I would imagine the suppliers would have just one raw FSB forging and then machine teh correct diameter for the barrel.

If I had to guess, I would say yes there would be enough meat to ream.

ARonBoard
11-26-13, 18:01
I'm going to pick up a centurion ML LW barrel for my next build. What is the diameter for the GB .625 or .750?

eternal24k
11-26-13, 18:11
I'm going to pick up a centurion ML LW barrel for my next build. What is the diameter for the GB .625 or .750?

It's a 0.750

ARonBoard
11-26-13, 20:20
It's a 0.750

Great! Thanks!

bowman57_2
12-22-14, 18:39
it might have been answered but what is the diameter behind the the muzzle device?