PDA

View Full Version : Sig P250?

wes007
12-04-09, 11:37
Can anyone speak on the p250?

It seems like in the industry you have the top five: Glock, M&P, P30, FNP,and the USP
as far as polymer framed handguns go.

It seems as tho the p250 fly's under the radar, and not to much is ever said about them.

In terms of accuracy and reliability how does the p250 measure up to the rest?

I know a few agencies have adopted it, but thats not necessarily saying a whole lot.

gtmtnbiker98
12-04-09, 13:39
A lot of the P250 problems fall upon the shoulders of the manufacturer and not the gun. Sig has failed miserably when it comes to delivering the caliber exchange kits and different sized grip modules. Hell, it took them almost three years to finally deliver the subcompact P250. In addition, there have been reported issues with light primer strikes, failures to feed and failures to extract with this model. However, some of the failure reports have lessoned, recently.

Just my .02. I owned one of the earlier released P250c TT and suffered from light primer strikes.

Comparing the P250 to the likes of Glock, M&P and HK is not a fair comparison.

mobiusnc
12-04-09, 15:00
A lot of the P250......

This mirrors my experience almost exactly, though I have a 2008 born nitron P250 in 9mm which had lite strikes right out of the box.

Also noteworthy is that Sig recently dropped the price of the P250 by ~$100. They are now available in the $480 range (delivered). The conversion kits seem to be going for about $350.
I don't see why anybody would buy a conversion kit instead of another pistol (unless they are legally restricted to a certain number of handguns).

And thanks to the price drop, I can't sell my pistol without taking a huge loss. I'm sure the other P-series pistols are fine handguns, but no more Sigs for me.

mobiusnc

ps. I really enjoy my M&P .45 and M&P .40, though I am selling the later to consolidate calibers.

Marcus L.
12-04-09, 15:09
If its any relivance, the Federal Air Marshalls have adopted it.

Sam
12-04-09, 15:30

True, but the field level agents including instructors do not like the 250 and some have said they'll do their best to hold on to their current model. One of their reservations about the 250 is will it stand up to the .357sig full power ammo that they shoot 10,000 rounds a year?

ToddG
12-04-09, 17:58

They've selected it. No guns have been delivered or fielded yet.

As others have said, the rank-and-file seem unhappy with the choice. But again, most of them have zero actual experience with the gun and only know what they've heard. The FAM contract will be a major turning point for the P250. If the gun runs well, meets the agency's durability expectations, and the average FAM feels he can shoot it well, it could turn things around for the P250 after the false starts of the past couple years. If, on the other hand, the FAMs ditch it within the first year or two (even if they just go back to the P229, which has served them very well since 9/11) then it could be the final death knell for the P250 line.

The striker-fired version of the P250 is expected to be released soon, perhaps even at SHOT. While it will solve complaints about the long reset, it might not make a difference for the FAMs. The FAM solicitation specifically disallowed any striker-fired weapons. One manufacturer even filed a formal protest over the issue. So there is no way the FAM Service could adopt a striker-fired version (or modification) to its P250s without incurring a landslide of legal problems from Smith & Glock.

wes007
12-04-09, 18:01
I figured those would be the responses.

Reliability in the newer guns doesnt compare to what Sig used to be :mad:

I was an avid 226 shooter for a while but sold it for an m&p

Ed243
12-04-09, 19:58
Shoots great and lightweight. But a PITA finding holsters and mags.

John_Wayne777
12-06-09, 12:50

IIRC a .357 sig version of the P250 doesn't even exist yet.

...so I don't know that I would put too much faith in that selection.

I've also heard some rather unflattering things about how the P250 performed in a recent round of agency testing. The phrase "they ran out of incident forms" was used.

Just something to think about. ;)

Marcus L.
12-06-09, 16:24
IIRC a .357 sig version of the P250 doesn't even exist yet.

...so I don't know that I would put too much faith in that selection.

Don't worry. I am quite happy with my P229s. My older P229 in .40S&W is almost to the 80k round count without any problems. :D

GLOCKMASTER
12-06-09, 16:33
I have actually had some range time with the P250 in .357 SIG and I will have to say that I was not terribly impressed with it at all. The trigger was horrible and it felt very cheap.

wes007
12-06-09, 22:24
I have actually had some range time with the P250 in .357 SIG and I will have to say that I was not terribly impressed with it at all. The trigger was horrible and it felt very cheap.

+1

I dont have any range time with one but was able to handle one.

xray 99
12-07-09, 09:08
I'll step forward with a dumb question. Why such militant hostility to a striker fired pistol?

variablebinary
12-07-09, 09:20
Not a fan of the current P250. A striker version might get my ears up though.

oldtexan
12-07-09, 10:20
My wife and I shot a range rental P250 Compact in 9mm about a week ago. Between us, we probably put 60-70 rds through the gun. The gun had the small/slim grip module installed when we shot it.

We both noticed significant muzzle flip. Now we're not SIG owners or shooters. Most of my shooting in the last year has been with a pair of Glock 34s that I rotate as my daily carry gun, and to a lesser extent a G19, a Kahr PM9, and a pair of S&W 642s. Most of my wife's shooting in the last year has been with her S&W 649, 317, and to a lesser extent a Kel Tec P32, G19, and 9mm STI 2011. So I'll confess that we don't know how to shoot an auto that has a high bore axis, and that I especially am prone to hitting the SIG slide stop with my right thumb and causing it to prematurely engage. IIRC I experienced this 4-6 times with the 250. I don't have this problem with other handguns.

I had one failure to extract; the gun was dirty but appeared well lubed, and we were shooting Winchester USA 115 grain ball ammo.

The trigger felt like a lighter version of a J-frame DA trigger. Long but smooth pull, with long reset.

We had decided to try the 250 because my wife is searching for a new nightstand gun to replace her S&W 649, and she has small hands, too small for the G19 or 34. On paper, the 250 Compact in 9mm looked good for her. It offered simple operation, short trigger reach and small grip circumference with the small/slim grip module (and if necessary the optional short trigger), ability to mount a light/laser on the Pic rail and use a Surefire DG-11 switch to run it, light weight, decent corrosion resistance, sufficiently light slide racking resistance, sufficiently good terminal ballistics, much higher onboard ammo capacity than her 649, reasonable recoil, and a familiar trigger.

The gun didn't strike us as feeling "cheap". Fit and finish seemed okay on the one we shot, and on two others I've examined. It's light, but that could be said of all polymer-framed autos I've shot or handled.

I think the muzzle flip is a deal-killer for my wife. She recognizes that it will impose an additional training challenge, and isn't particularly interested in spending the time to overcome that challenge. Shooting isn't her passion, so she doesn't spend a lot of time training.

I don't see buying a 250 for myself either, because my G34s and G19s already fit the same niche perfectly well.

When the magazine Gun Tests published a review of the 9mm Compact 250 in its April 2008 issue, it noted that the "first impression from shooting the P250 was that it was unusually prone to muzzle flip". According to the article, these tests were done with the medium grip module that came with the gun. But oddly, the same article pitted a G17 and an H&K P2000 in 9mm against the 250, which was able to be shot by their people in their particular test with a greater combination of speed and accuracy than the other two according to the article.

I noticed yesterday that SIG's website is now offering for sale two different magazines for the P250 Compact in 9mm. One magazine was stated as working with the original style grip module, and the other magazine as working with a newer style grip module. This is independent of the three sizes of grip modules in each grip length. This newer style mag has a floorplate that looks similar to the floorplates on mags for the full-size and subcompact 250 models. So if an owner of a 9mm 250 compact wants to order magazines, he has to know if he has the original style grip module or the newer style grip module.

For what they're worth, those are my thoughts.

wes007
12-07-09, 19:07
Sounds like this is sig's version of the s&w sigma :rolleyes:

scottryan
12-07-09, 23:32
Too thick and blocky.

SWATcop556
12-08-09, 03:48
Too thick and blocky.

Like a Glock! :D

Alpha Sierra
12-08-09, 05:29