PDA

View Full Version : Carrying an AR mag on patrol

N8dawg16
12-04-09, 15:30
Howdy all,

What's a good way to carry an AR mag on patrol? All the pockets on my jumpsuit (Bratwear) are pretty much either tied up or would not work. I was thinking about trying to find a spot on my duty belt. Oh and I was thinking about using a 20 rd mag as honestly I'm not 7 ft tall.

I also thought about the redimag as that way you don't have anything else on the already overstuffed belt. Granted most patrol deployment (at my dept) would never require more than 28 rds of 5.56 but one is none.

N8dawg

RPD03
12-04-09, 15:50
Check out Centermassinc.com they have an integrated mag pouch that holds either a 20 or 30 round mag (including P-Mag) and then mounts your pistol mag pouch in front of that. I am testing one on duty now and so far it is working out ok. At first it seems like the added depth of the pouch will be a problem but I have only noticed it when in the prone position.

Buckaroo
12-04-09, 21:21
http://www.centermassinc.com/Integrated_mag_pouch.html

The Integrated Mag Pouch is a result of our never ending desire to improve training and equipment so that our clients can better serve their departments and communities. This innovative piece of gear helps solve the re-occurring problem that Patrol Officer's across the country encounter daily...

"How can I effectively carry a second rifle magazine?"

In short, the Integrated MAG Pouch allows an officer to carry a second AR type rifle magazine, securely, on their person in a manner that looks sharp and very professional. This is accomplished by joining the Integrated MAG Pouch with the officers issued pistol magazine pouch or other duty gear. This gives the officer a comfortable and secure point to carry either a 20 or 30 round AR magazine while not taking up any additional space on their gun belt.

Interesting

Buckaroo

Deputy91
12-04-09, 22:29
RPD03

Let us know how it works out. I have been looking at the same one as well. It looks like a very interesting approach.

-Mike.

Roy
12-05-09, 00:09
I have the Center mass product

Seems well made and holds the mag well.. When put together it seems pretty thich though i have not put it on my belt yet. i now use a GOuld and GOodrich pistol mag pouch and it is not compatable with the Center mass rifle mag pouch. i have been in concatct with Jeff and Frank over there and they are looking into it for me..

Ill advise

NCPatrolAR
12-05-09, 01:07
Howdy all,

What's a good way to carry an AR mag on patrol? All the pockets on my jumpsuit (Bratwear) are pretty much either tied up or would not work. I was thinking about trying to find a spot on my duty belt. Oh and I was thinking about using a 20 rd mag as honestly I'm not 7 ft tall.

I also thought about the redimag as that way you don't have anything else on the already overstuffed belt. Granted most patrol deployment (at my dept) would never require more than 28 rds of 5.56 but one is none.

N8dawg

I'd just opt for the Redi-Mag. I know I certainly dont have room on the bat belt for an AR mag with all the other stuff I have to carry.

sff70
12-05-09, 11:59
I tried various setups and settled on this: when I deploy the rifle, I don a plate carrier that has rifle mags, pistol mags, IFAK, and plates.

The PC is kept up front in my patrol car and hangs against the front of the passenger seat from a carbineer that is suspended from the headrest support via a HD zip tie.

It takes very little time to don the PC, which allows me to bring very important things to the fight (and some extra ammo, too).

I found it to be a better option than carrying a 30 or a 20 round mag on my person.

YMMV