PDA

View Full Version : Shot Timers

VA_Dinger
07-07-06, 19:49
How many of you guys use a timer for your training? What models do you own? What is the most economical model to buy? I have been looking hard at the PACT Club Timer III, it seems to retail for around $130. I'm not really interested in a model with all the bells & whistles because I will probably not use all of them enough to justify the added cost. What features should I be looking for? Which features do you consider essential? Are their any models with issues that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help.

bigbore
07-07-06, 20:10
I have the Pocket Pro II
https://secure1.totalink.net/targetbarn/newstore2.asp?CAT=ELECTRONICS&SubCat=RANGETIMERS

Its been great. I didnt want all the features either, but I find myself using more and more of them.

Robb Jensen
07-07-06, 20:11
I have a CED Pocket Pro 2 use it for training and USPSA practice.

David Blinder
07-08-06, 07:42
I've got a CED 6000 but don't think they make that model anymore. Also have a Pocket Pro but it's rarely used as it doesn't have random beeps and also had issues in indoor ranges with echo causing resets.

For personal use, I wouldn't own a timer without repetitive random beeps because I think one of the best uses is for dry fire. Other than that, as long as it shows time to first shot, splits, total time, shots fired, and has an auto shutoff, most other functions are competition related and may or may not be relevant to your usage.

Vinh
07-08-06, 10:38
I wanted the CED 8000, but the Pocket Pro II (different company) was available locally at the gun store I support, so I bought it instead. It is adequate. I have used every feature except "shot dead time". The user interface is good enough that the instruction sheet is not required reading. I do sometimes wish it had the multi-string capability of the CED timer.

My old timer was the PACT Club II. The internal analog sensitivity adjustment was unacceptable. I called up PACT and they didn't even know which way to turn the unmarked dial. The user interface was not intuitive enough that you could just hand the timer to any random person and expect them to be able to set it up.

Overall, I don't use a timer as much as I should. I'd guess that I only use it about 5% of my shooting time.

QuietShootr
07-10-06, 11:49
I have a PACT Professional (I think, it's the older one with the chronograph and full-auto ROF modification done). I think they're necessary for improvement past a certain basic level of proficiency. You can use them to analyze almost anything having to do with shooting - your splits, reload times, anything. I was using mine yesterday to tweak my pistol speed reloads. As long as it has a random start beep you should be good to go.

mayonaise
09-05-06, 20:53
I sold my Pact club timer after picking up the CED 8000. The CED is good. I especially wanted it so I could program dry fire routines in. I like the earphones as well so I don't drive the family nuts while dryfiring and they are nice in hotel rooms. The 90 degree display option is great for the range. Clip to your belt makes it easy to read. Pretty well thought out set up. Built on the gameboy chasis which has proven itself to be robust.

I would suggest that you buy some Belkin or other brand skins to go over the display. Good way to keep the display from getting scratched.

MudBug
09-05-06, 21:39
I bought the PACT Club Timer III. I don't have a lot of time with it yet, but so far I like it.

I couldn't decide between that or the POCKET PRO II, but a better deal from a seller on Ebay for the Club Timer III pushed me in that direction.

Really, from all the reviews I read before buying I don't think you could go wrong with either, that's why money was the deciding factor for me.

I considered the CED 8000, but felt it was more than I needed, and the design was something I would surely destroy.

Joe Mamma
09-06-06, 22:04
I have a Pact Club Timer II and have been very happy with it. I used it a lot when I first got it. It took the guess work out of shooting. I used it for all different types of practice: bowling pins, steel, USPSA, etc. My shooting skills took a big step up after I got it.

Now, I just use it occassionally. Usually, just if I have a big match coming up or if I'm experimenting with different techniques or gun parts.

Joe Mamma

Mojo58
09-07-06, 11:33
I've been using a Speed Timer 3000 for all my shooting needs. It's compact, simple to use and it's been reliable. It get's alot of use and I've owned it for 3 years now without any problems. Check 'em out at http://speedtimers.com/index.htm

rob_s
09-07-06, 11:45
Another pocket pro II user here.

I do think that one has to be careful when using a timer and mindful of the goals. If your goal is self-defense oriented shooting then you need to be careful not to get obsessed with beating the clock.

One thing that we're going to do at my rifle match this month is run the exact same basic course of fire twice; once reloading the carbine and once transitioning. I think this is a good use of the timer as you can use it to illustrate which method is actually faster.