PDA

View Full Version : Redi-Mag ?

rocket 442
12-05-09, 15:32
just bought & sold a bushmaster ar15 with a bunch of spare parts & 1 item is a nib redimag system. never used one before & haven't heard good or bad so..... what says the experts?:confused:

Norcal911
12-05-09, 16:00
I'm not an expert like some around here but I do carry an AR daily. For my application, I'm a believer. When I need my rifle, its either in the trunk or in the rack and I'm in uniform so I don't have a chance to gear up with extra mags. With the redi-mag, when I grab my rifle, I know there are 60 rounds on board and that will be more than enough for almost all police style engagements, maybe not in the sandbox on patrol or on an ambush line, but for me its enough. Of course when I can I grab a few extra's I do but there are times when I need the rifle now and I don't have time to mess with stuff (like a felony stop). Took some getting used to as far as the manual of arms, but the clock has shown I'm much faster with the redi-mag than my previous set-up. Faster reloads and more mags available means less chance of me needing to transition to pistol. I don't think there is a faster reload out of web gear/pouches than a redi-mag reload, unless it was with a mag coupler. Mag couplers, in my limited experience with them, need adjusting occasionally, can be un-reliable, and leave one mag open to the elements or for a round to shake out under recoil. It does make the gun heavy but I'm not in the business of humping my rifle all day. Also tac-reloads take some getting used to as far as handwork and are you going to reload from a pocket or pouch, or from the redi mag, where does you partial go? Back in redi-mag or stowed? etc etc. Redi-mag works great with a BHO extension like the Magpul BAD or a Phase 5 EBR. All things considered, I will run a redi-mag on all my AR's when I get enough money to outfit them all. I give it a thumbs up-Norcal911

JSK
12-05-09, 16:31
Good kit. You need to practice.

Ak44
12-05-09, 16:38
I just got a Redi-Mod in the mail from Sara @ Grey Group (thanks again Sara!). I just threw it on my SBR, I like it. Imma have to train with it some more to get the hang of it, but I think with the BAD lever and the Redi-Mod reloads should be pretty quick.. :D

Matt2124
12-05-09, 16:45
I'm gonna have to second what Norcal911 said. I also run a redi mag on my patrol rifle with a Magpul BAD lever. With practice this has proved very effective for me as far a speed of reloads both tac. and combat also using it with the BAD lever malfunction clearence ie double feeds are also faster to clear and get the gun back into the fight. Its all about practice and being efficent with your equiptment. If you train with it, and have a cycle or ammo rediness (sp?) which Travis Hailey talks about in the Magpul classes you can keep the redi mag fed with a fresh mag and stay in the fight.

This is just my .02 hope it helps and as always YMMV

Matt

USMC03
12-05-09, 18:13
Good piece of gear, I've used them off an on for the last decade.

Below is a review of a lightened version of the Redi-Mag, called the Redi-Mod. There is a video of the Redi-Mag in use in the review:

http://03designgroup.com/photo/blue-force-gear-redi-mod/DPP_0017_edited002_.JPG
03designgroup | Blue Force Gear Redi-Mod http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/reviews/bfg-redi-mod)

Treehopr
12-05-09, 19:02
I have the older style ones with the BCE (Bolt Catch Extension) and mounted on 2 AR's.
There's a weight penalty and learning curve but worth the trade off to me.

Raven_Thunder
12-07-09, 16:57
Also tac-reloads take some getting used to as far as handwork and are you going to reload from a pocket or pouch, or from the redi mag, where does you partial go? Back in redi-mag or stowed? etc etc. Redi-mag works great with a BHO extension like the Magpul BAD or a Phase 5 EBR. All things considered, I will run a redi-mag on all my AR's when I get enough money to outfit them all. I give it a thumbs up-Norcal911

I'm practicing using the Redi-Mag on my home defense rifle and my SOP for a partial is to put it back into the Redi-Mag. Just release the Redi-Mag, use the L method to tactical reload then insert the partial magazine into the Redi-Mag and carry on.

theJanitor
12-07-09, 17:09
rocket, you got a gen1 or a gen2? gen1's drop both mags when you depress the rifle's mag release button. Gen2's don't. you need to push another lever to release the redi-mag's mag.

both generations have their pro's and con's. currently, i own both, and i run the gen2

ForTehNguyen
12-07-09, 17:18
when combined with something like the Magpul BAD, the redimag is the fastest mag change you can get. But it makes your weapon heavier since its holding the RediMag device + 1 loaded mag. Its a personal preference

watch how Haley uses it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moas5mUD9yA

hank556
12-07-09, 21:06
Fast and not hard to learn, but I just couldn"t afford one for multiple ARs and I like to standardize. Good kit.

Alex V
12-08-09, 08:50
I just got a Redi-Mod in the mail from Sara @ Grey Group (thanks again Sara!). I just threw it on my SBR, I like it. Imma have to train with it some more to get the hang of it, but I think with the BAD lever and the Redi-Mod reloads should be pretty quick.. :D

when combined with something like the Magpul BAD, the redimag is the fastest mag change you can get. But it makes your weapon heavier since its holding the RediMag device + 1 loaded mag. Its a personal preference

watch how Haley uses it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moas5mUD9yA

I was about to ask if it will work with the B.A.D. but I guess that answers my questions!

With NJ allowing only 15rd mags I guess I need 2 of them on the same AR to keep up with you guys lol

noops
12-08-09, 10:54
I had to dremel down one of my redi-mag's.redi-mods a little to get it working properly with a bad lever, but no big deal.

Ak44
12-08-09, 11:43
I had to dremel down one of my redi-mag's.redi-mods a little to get it working properly with a bad lever, but no big deal.

I'm guessing you are refering to the weld on the redimod where it sits inside the trigger area? I'm thinking about shaving it down but worried about screwng up and ruining it lol.

noops
12-08-09, 12:23
Yes that's exactly where I shaved it. I didn't need to take much off at all, and it's been plenty strong and GTG since. About 2500 rounds through that one since I put it on, so not huge but not tiny either. Bout half of that in formal training environments.