PDA

View Full Version : Update on Erik Prince (Blackwater USA - now Xe)

Mjolnir
12-06-09, 19:36
Erik Prince, Head of US Security Firm Blackwater USA, ‘was CIA operative’
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6945254.ece
Giles Whittell in Washington
From The Times
December 5, 2009

In public he was the lean and ruthless face of American military outsourcing in Iraq. Erik Prince, as founder of the Blackwater security company, packed a mobile phone on one hip and a handgun on the other as he flew in and out of the world’s troublespots co-ordinating protection teams for American VIPs — and handling the backlash when his employees were accused of shooting dead 17 Iraqi civilians at a Baghdad crossroads in 2007.

In private, he was "a CIA operative" [MY QUOTES], with his own file as a “vetted asset” at the agency’s headquarters, and a mission to build “a unilateral, unattributable capability” to hunt down and kill al-Qaeda militants for the US Government wherever they could be found.

These claims, made by Mr Prince and supported by others who knew of his activities, form part of a potentially explosive investigation into the life of America’s best-known mercenary.

Mr Prince, aside from his work in Iraq, set up America’s closest forward operating base to the Pakistani border in Afghanistan, and helped to train a CIA assassination team that hunted an alleged senior al-Qaeda financier in Germany, and included A. Q. Khan, a Pakistani nuclear scientist, on its list of targets, according to Vanity Fair magazine.

Mr Prince is a billionaire and former member of the US Navy Seal teams, who avoided publicity during his long and lucrative period as a favoured security contractor for the Pentagon, the State Department and the CIA. Between 2001 and 2009 his company won government contracts worth an estimated $1.5 billion (£900 million) and built a private air force of Black Hawk helicopters and troop-ferrying aircraft based at a 7,000-acre facility in North Carolina.

Despite the political uproar, and a 15-month investigation by the Department of Justice that followed the 2007 massacre in Baghdad, Mr Prince has to date made few public comments on his company’s work, and none on his own relationship with the CIA.

He now has more reason to go public: according to three sources who spoke to Vanity Fair, Mr Prince was recruited by the agency in 2004 and ran intelligence-gathering operations in an unnamed Axis of Evil country until only two months ago, but was partially “outed” by leaks that followed a closed-door briefing of congressional leaders by Leon Panetta, the CIA director, last summer.

Mr Prince regards those leaks as a betrayal: “When it became politically expedient to do so, someone threw me under a bus,” he said. He claims that his company is now paying $2 million a month in legal bills to defend itself against lawsuits in both Iraq and the US, and has been singled out because of who he is. “I’m an easy target,” he told the magazine. “I’m from a Republican family and I own this company outright. Our competitors have nameless, faceless management teams.”

Interesting. I'd like to know who these individuals are and what relationship they had to Erik. More importantly, what relationship they may (or may not) have with other competitor firms.

While I don't like the idea of a mercenary army I wish Erik well in this.

M4arc
12-06-09, 19:47
Oh brother :rolleyes:

More anti-Blackwater bullshit.

Mjolnir
12-06-09, 19:54
Oh brother :rolleyes:

More anti-Blackwater bullshit.
Could very well be. I've not heard anything in the press lately but this.

SW-Shooter
12-06-09, 20:03
After reading that I have more respect for Mr. Prince than I ever had before. I've always been one to support those that make take the fight to our enemy, whether highly paid or not. These people are Patriots nonetheless.

theblackknight
12-06-09, 20:05
since when has Vanity Fair been relevant in matters of this nature?

VooDoo6Actual
12-06-09, 20:23
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/CopyofKabul02June6toAugust6th472Lar.jpg

1 st Contract BlackWater Alumnus 02'

Mjolnir
12-06-09, 20:37
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/CopyofKabul02June6toAugust6th472Lar.jpg
Neat photos, bro.

Safetyhit
12-06-09, 20:40
Some say Prince thinks of himself as a warrior in the new crusade. True or not, if so I would only respect him more.

NoBody
12-06-09, 21:08
I worked with Blackwater in Afghanistan when I was deployed there back in 2006/2007. I never thought much of them before that deployment, but I found them to be extremely capable and professional. Their reputation does not do them justice. Great patriots doing difficult jobs.

BiggLee71
12-06-09, 21:37
I concur with most of you guys in that I hold Mr.Prince and his company in the highest regard for their service to our country. As for him being a C.I.A asset, anything is possible. I am actually inclined to believe he may be due to the fact that Blackwater ( or Xe, as they are now known ) just received a contract to fly Predator drones and conduct missle attacks within Pakistani borders against Al-Queda/ Taliban H.V.T's for the Central Intelligence Agency.

Abraxas
12-06-09, 21:56
Mr Prince regards those leaks as a betrayal: “When it became politically expedient to do so, someone threw me under a bus,” he said. He claims that his company is now paying $2 million a month in legal bills to defend itself against lawsuits in both Iraq and the US, and has been singled out because of who he is. “I’m an easy target,” he told the magazine. “I’m from a Republican family and I own this company outright. Our competitors have nameless, faceless management teams.”

Interesting. I'd like to know who these individuals are and what relationship they had to Erik. More importantly, what relationship they may (or may not) have with other competitor firms.

There is much truth to this

I wish him well. The more I hear about him the more I like him

SWATcop556
12-07-09, 00:48
I always like to pick up the latest edition of Vanitey Fair to get the most correct, concise, and politically un-biased information in today's politics and warfare. :rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
12-07-09, 00:53
The Vanity Fair article was pretty good, though I don't think that he should have spoke out as much as he did.

ddemis
12-07-09, 02:05
I have a friend who is currently employed with BW and he is one of the most dedicated and dependable professionals I have ever known. His team saved the Polish ambassadors life during a wild shootout in 2007 and the media portrayed it as a war crime. No matter what anyone thinks of Erik his guys perform dangerous work every day protecting U.S. and Iraqi personel. The media shit storm will continue just to make the United States look bad and Erik was definitly thrown under the bus.

SWATcop556
12-07-09, 02:15
The Vanity Fair article was pretty good, though I don't think that he should have spoke out as much as he did.

Looks like I may have to give it a read then. Just not my cup o' tea for magazines.

LockenLoad
12-07-09, 08:56
Erik Prince, Head of US Security Firm Blackwater USA, ‘was CIA operative’
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6945254.ece
Giles Whittell in Washington
From The Times
December 5, 2009

In public he was the lean and ruthless face of American military outsourcing in Iraq. Erik Prince, as founder of the Blackwater security company, packed a mobile phone on one hip and a handgun on the other as he flew in and out of the world’s troublespots co-ordinating protection teams for American VIPs — and handling the backlash when his employees were accused of shooting dead 17 Iraqi civilians at a Baghdad crossroads in 2007.

In private, he was "a CIA operative" [MY QUOTES], with his own file as a “vetted asset” at the agency’s headquarters, and a mission to build “a unilateral, unattributable capability” to hunt down and kill al-Qaeda militants for the US Government wherever they could be found.

These claims, made by Mr Prince and supported by others who knew of his activities, form part of a potentially explosive investigation into the life of America’s best-known mercenary.

Mr Prince, aside from his work in Iraq, set up America’s closest forward operating base to the Pakistani border in Afghanistan, and helped to train a CIA assassination team that hunted an alleged senior al-Qaeda financier in Germany, and included A. Q. Khan, a Pakistani nuclear scientist, on its list of targets, according to Vanity Fair magazine.

Mr Prince is a billionaire and former member of the US Navy Seal teams, who avoided publicity during his long and lucrative period as a favoured security contractor for the Pentagon, the State Department and the CIA. Between 2001 and 2009 his company won government contracts worth an estimated $1.5 billion (£900 million) and built a private air force of Black Hawk helicopters and troop-ferrying aircraft based at a 7,000-acre facility in North Carolina.

Despite the political uproar, and a 15-month investigation by the Department of Justice that followed the 2007 massacre in Baghdad, Mr Prince has to date made few public comments on his company’s work, and none on his own relationship with the CIA.

He now has more reason to go public: according to three sources who spoke to Vanity Fair, Mr Prince was recruited by the agency in 2004 and ran intelligence-gathering operations in an unnamed Axis of Evil country until only two months ago, but was partially “outed” by leaks that followed a closed-door briefing of congressional leaders by Leon Panetta, the CIA director, last summer.

yea they suck, that's why 500 South African mercenaries single handily took back Serra Leone, when the U.N. did nothing but watch people die and join in the looting, and raping

LockenLoad
12-07-09, 08:59
since when has Vanity Fair been relevant in matters of this nature?

since that dumb bitch and her husband, were on the cover for her supposedly being outed as a CIA spy by the Bush administration, I don't believe she was ever a spy

CarlosDJackal
12-07-09, 10:10
I worked with Blackwater in Afghanistan when I was deployed there back in 2006/2007. I never thought much of them before that deployment, but I found them to be extremely capable and professional. Their reputation does not do them justice. Great patriots doing difficult jobs.

Agreed!! The problems arose when they expanded too quickly and started hiring asshats for the more "menial" duties. I'm currently in a Civil Affairs unit and more than a few of the Soldiers in my organization have had too many negative experiences with BW employees during multiple deployments.

I would be willing to bet that the individuals that they were talking about were not the former Spec Ops types. I've known too many former and current LEOs who supposedly had "SWAT" training or experience that were hired by BW. Some of these individuals I would not trust with an Airsoft Rifle in training much less actual operations.

IMHO, Mr. Prince hit the nail on the head when he said that they were going after him because he came from a Republican family. JM2CW.

EzGoingKev
12-07-09, 10:22
since that dumb bitch and her husband, were on the cover for her supposedly being outed as a CIA spy by the Bush administration, I don't believe she was ever a spy
They were martyrs in the liberal jihad against President Bush and the Republican party.

Mark71
12-07-09, 17:54
Here is the link to the entire Vanity Fair article....

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2010/01/blackwater-201001

HK51Fan
12-07-09, 21:49
Eric Prince is good people!