PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose an SPR Combo!

Alex V
12-07-09, 08:20
Hey guys. After reading this forum for a bit and seeing the huge amount of good info, I have decided to start an SPR build of my own. I cam up with a few options but would like your opinions on which one would be the best bet.

I would like to have a rifle that is a lot better that I am, this way I have something to aspire to. I have not made a decision on the optic I will use yet, but it will be in line with a typical SPR, be it Trijicon, Leupold or Nightforce.

These are the combinations I have come up with, please feel free to critique and let me know of what you think will create the best, most accurate platform.

1. VLTOR Rifle Length VIS, Noveske 18” SPR Barrel Group, Noveske Lower – This will be the most expensive option, and also the hardest to accomplish because of the rarity of the VLTOR VIS upper.

2. VLTOR MUR-1A, Noveske 18” SPR barrel Group, LaRue 13.2” FF Handguard,
Noveske Lower – this seems like it would be much easier to find parts for but will it be as rigid and allow for as much accuracy as the VIS option?

3. VLTOR MUR-1A, BCM 18” SS-SPR Barrel, LaRue 13.2” Hanguard and a Noveske lower once again. - This is perhaps the least expensive option short of going to a BCM upper and perhaps a less expensive handguard, but what worries me is that even though BCM seems to be known for their rock solid reliability, I do not see them listed in the ranks of guys like Noveske and LaRue for accuracy.

I would have liked to build as much of this myself as I could. I don’t mind taking a long time to do it right and I believe I could learn A LOT from doing it myself. However, the last option will be eliminate a lot of that.

4. LaRue Stealth 18” upper and LaRue Lower

I could also wait and see what the BCM SPR uppers will be priced at because they are listing one as using a VIS upper. Right up my ally, but no word on price yet. I would like to start buying parts after the 1st of the year so if BCM comes out with a good price point, they may be my choice, but I cant help but think Noveske and LaRue will be more accurate.

All in all I will not be putting a huge amount of rounds through this weapon, at most 1000 to 1500 a year. There are just not as many places to shoot in NJ as some of the other states many of you are from so I do not need a gun that can take tens and tens of thousands of rounds through it. I just want something that will be as accurate as possible so the limitation is myself and not the equipment. I also don’t mind waiting for parts, I got plenty of time. LOL

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-07-09, 10:16
Option 2 gives everyone a taste.

All seem pretty good. What trigger?

Alex V
12-07-09, 10:49
Option 2 gives everyone a taste.

All seem pretty good. What trigger?

Honestly, I have not given it a lot of thought except this; I think a standard trigger that would come in a G&R LPK would suffice for initial use. Once I get enough practice and get good enough to where I think the trigger is becoming a limitation to me I will upgrade to something along the lines of a Geissele

Tangotag
12-07-09, 15:04
Considering how long he has been building barrels, I would believe your "best - most accurate" solution would include a Noveske barrel.

As far as what receiver and free floating rail option, I don't think any particular above options would improve accuracy better than other. Those would more fall into your own personal preference.

I am going with a BCM 18" barrel for my SPR. My reasoning’s were a few things: cost of $100 when gas block is considered, 1/8 as opposed to 1/7 I figured the BCM would wear less than the tighter twist, the harder 410 stainless steel over typical 416(Noveske does not state steel used), and that the barrel was HP and MP inspected. I will how ever do my own barrel work with the gas block pinned with a dowel pin like the Noveske barrels. I do believe the Noveske barrels are worth the extra $100 but, would I notice the difference, probably not.

I was strongly considering a Noveske 18" but was a little turned off on the Intermediate length gas tube. It was rumored this was designed for the colder weather shooting issue. Though I found on MilitaryMorons that the original barrel was design was by Vltor to protect the gas block under a 12" rail.

Today I have a high of 10 degrees F. so I will be shooting eventually in some really cold weather but don't expect any issues on the rifle length gas system. But I like that the gas tube on mine is not a specialty item.

Alex V
12-07-09, 15:56
Considering how long he has been building barrels, I would believe your "best - most accurate" solution would include a Noveske barrel.

As far as what receiver and free floating rail option, I don't think any particular above options would improve accuracy better than other. Those would more fall into your own personal preference.

I am going with a BCM 18" barrel for my SPR. My reasoning’s were a few things: cost of $100 when gas block is considered, 1/8 as opposed to 1/7 I figured the BCM would wear less than the tighter twist, the harder 410 stainless steel over typical 416(Noveske does not state steel used), and that the barrel was HP and MP inspected. I will how ever do my own barrel work with the gas block pinned with a dowel pin like the Noveske barrels. I do believe the Noveske barrels are worth the extra $100 but, would I notice the difference, probably not.

I was strongly considering a Noveske 18" but was a little turned off on the Intermediate length gas tube. It was rumored this was designed for the colder weather shooting issue. Though I found on MilitaryMorons that the original barrel was design was by Vltor to protect the gas block under a 12" rail.

Today I have a high of 10 degrees F. so I will be shooting eventually in some really cold weather but don't expect any issues on the rifle length gas system. But I like that the gas tube on mine is not a specialty item.

Tango,
All excelent points and thoughts. Thank you much.

Since I am a looser, I have a spreadsheet of all the parts I am to buy, and it is a $97 difference between going with the Noveske barrel group [which includes the gas tube, gas block and bolt] to the BCM option if I keep the BCM barrel in SS and not have it ionbold black. Since I like the SS look, it would b roughly a $100 difference. Not much in the grand sceme of things. And if there will be a measurable difference in accuracy between the Noveske and BCM barrel, I think it would be worth the $100.

Stupid question; which would deal better with cheap ammo i.e. Wolf? Lets say I decide to have one day of stupid fun and not concentrate on accuracy lol. Of cource I should be doing that with my BM rather than something along the quality of a Noveske or BCM, but for the sake of argument.