PDA

View Full Version : glock modifications

welshrabbit
12-07-09, 11:05
Does it in any way hurt the reliability or durability of a Glock to have the finger grooves removed or the grip reduced or retextured?

geminidglocker
12-07-09, 12:28
Nope.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/davecharlie08/Glockstippling009.jpg

Dos Cylindros
12-07-09, 12:55
My issue gun is the G22. In that size frame I like the finger grooves, but my current off duty and UC gun is the G23. That size frame (for me at least) needs to have the finger grooves removed. I did so on my gun and then stippled the grip myself. It looks OK, but I do not care as it is a tool and works much better now.

ROCKET20_GINSU
12-07-09, 14:49
I prefer the smooth trigger as well, I have them on all my glocks, no problems on my end.

I don't have any experience w/ grip reductions but as long as you didn't take off "too" much material, consequently making it too thin, I think it'd be fine.

GU

YVK
12-07-09, 18:42
Does it in any way hurt the reliability or durability of a Glock to have the finger grooves removed or the grip reduced or retextured?

I don't know how it would hurt even theoretically; decrease stiffness of a frame, make it more prone to bending? Anyway, there are a lot of folks who get those mods done; I assume we would've heard by now.

I have grip reduction, finger groove removal, texturing, aftermarket barrel and Glock 17 trigger bar assembly on my Glock 19. The round count is low, about 2300, but there has been no gun-related stoppages.

Gentle Ben
12-08-09, 13:57
Disclosure: I own Boresight Solutions, and I customize plastic pistols for a living.

There is a possibility that an improper reduction or finger groove removal will make the frame weak and prone to flex or warpage. If you do it yourself, grind very carefully; if you have a 'pro' do it, choose very carefully. ;)

A lot of folks are perfectly capable of doing it themselves, as evidenced by the great DIY jobs that people have posted. However, my self-serving opinion is that for many, it might be better to have a pro whose work is proven do it, because you know how the gun will look when it's finished, and you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that it will be done right, and if the pro screws it up, he owes you a new gun (I've replaced two guns in my time doing this kind of work)

When I first started customizing polymer-framed pistols I got a little too daring on a couple of guns and had the frame warp/flex and not drop the mags. However, I was able to rectify it, and as far as I know, those guns are still in use and going strong. Knock on wood, but I have done several hundred of grip jobs since then, and (barring the aforementioned early jobs) I haven't had one come back for a failure of any kind.

I have also re-worked quite a few frames that were done by other shops, or were DIY-jobs that went badly, and several had issues with the frame flexing and the mags not dropping free. I also have gotten in a few guns where the frame was so warped that the slide wouldn't go all the way into battery without assistance. I was able to fix those as well.

Ben

EzGoingKev
12-09-09, 18:35
Disclosure: I own Boresight Solutions, and I customize plastic pistols for a living.
Ben, any idea when you are going to get the gallery pics up on your site?

I have a 17 and have been thinking about getting some work done to it at some point and would like to see what you offer.

Gentle Ben
12-09-09, 19:18
Kev,

The gallery will be back up soon. My web guy and I are editing it, but neither of us have much time. I have a ton of pics though, so send me a PM with your email address and what you're looking for, and I'll get them to you ASAP.

Ben

SWATcop556
12-09-09, 19:56
Just send the gun to Ben and forget about it.

My M&P9 is itching to be sent to Florida after the holidays. I just have to convince the wife that "Yes woman, this is necessary!"

If that doesn't work then I'm going to pout on the floor and cry "but honey, Chris Costa and Hilton Yam are doing it!"

Although I don't see that working out any better for me. Any ideas Ben? :D

adh
12-09-09, 20:47
some BS Gen II G17 pics in this thread for ya EzGoingKev
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38551

Gentle Ben
12-09-09, 21:18
Just send the gun to Ben and forget about it.

My M&P9 is itching to be sent to Florida after the holidays. I just have to convince the wife that "Yes woman, this is necessary!"

If that doesn't work then I'm going to pout on the floor and cry "but honey, Chris Costa and Hilton Yam are doing it!"

Although I don't see that working out any better for me. Any ideas Ben? :D

I've found that surprising my wife with a spa treatment is usually good for some mileage. ..especially if she found out about the expenditure after the fact.

SWATcop556
12-10-09, 01:22
I've found that surprising my wife with a spa treatment is usually good for some mileage. ..especially if she found out about the expenditure after the fact.

Good call. Getting my M&P out to you is worth another $100 or so for her to have a spa day. I call that an investment!

Gentle Ben
12-10-09, 07:38
yes, females usually respond well to romantical gestures.

only problem is when they suspect ulterior motives, but I've found that clutching my chest and throwing myself on the floor in convulsions tends to derail her suspicions temporarily. :D

markman
12-11-09, 07:15
While I personally don't believe in doing internal mods to Glock pistols, I can't see where doing external mods can hurt. I've even considered them myself.