PDA

View Full Version : FTF & double feed with PMAG!

lawusmc0844
12-07-09, 19:56
Today I was at the Horno range for first day of rifle range. I brought 4 earlier gen PMAGs, 4 Rev-M PMAGs and 4 Lancers. It started to get windy, rainy and of course muddy. I shot fine but right before the 2nd string of 300yd rapid fire, at the command of "Load make ready" I had a double feed with one of my non Rev-M PMAGs. While everyone began to shoot I ejected the mag to clear the double feed, reinsert and began firing. I had a FTF at my 5th or 6th round and finished by of course, tap rack bang.

Has anyone had any similar issues? It really surprised me when it happened. My other PMAGs and Lancers ran just fine, even in the rain and mud. I just took it apart and besides being wet there's not mud or grit.

Any help is appreciated...

Ak44
12-07-09, 20:05
Check the mag lips and see if they are stretched out or warped or even cracked. I would mark the mags that are giving you trouble and test them out again under better circumstances. Horno..the land Chesty Puller and God forgot...I hated that place.

Blackjack272
12-07-09, 20:08
You're at Horno? No shit... so am I!

Shoot me a PM and feel free to stop by my barracks ( just call first to ensure I'll be there ). I'll loan you a new P Mag for use.

What unit you with?

S/F

lawusmc0844
12-07-09, 20:24
PM sent...

Im cleaning them out now. I see no discrepancies around the feed lips. I will try it again tomorrow and try to make it fail. If it happens again, Magpul will get a call...

Kchen986
12-07-09, 23:44
I had a Pmag double feed once, not sure if it was due to user error or the Pmag itself.

Was shooting 55gr PMC .223 FMJs and some cheap frangible rounds. I inserted the mag, gave it a firm spank & pull, then hit the bolt release.....only to find a double feed.

Attributed it to me improperly seating the frangible rounds. Ejected, the mag, cleared it and did not have a failure afterwards.

NickB
12-08-09, 15:40
PM sent...

Im cleaning them out now. I see no discrepancies around the feed lips. I will try it again tomorrow and try to make it fail. If it happens again, Magpul will get a call...

Let us know what you find. If this is truly a mag issue, we'll make it right.

Rider79
12-08-09, 16:23

Where else will you find service like this?

Failure2Stop
12-08-09, 16:38
Desribe your load and make ready procedure and exactly what you saw on the stoppage.

Shark
12-08-09, 18:32
Happened to me once during a 3 Gun stage, but only because I rested the magazine on the bench. I know, never use the magazine as a pod/base. Would you be believe I did it again?! Next time I'll use 20 rounders for that firing position.:)

NoBody
12-08-09, 18:56

I love these guys! :D

lawusmc0844
12-09-09, 18:27
Desribe your load and make ready procedure and exactly what you saw on the stoppage.

I inserted the magazine, then pulled the charging handle back. It did not go back so I quickly did a brass check and saw the double feed. I then ejected the mag, quickly reinserted those two loose rounds and got ready to fire. The FTF was most likely the ammo but then again there are other variables.

I just qual'd today, mostly using the 2 PMAGs that were in the same dual shingle pouch. Shot shitty but could not replicate the problem, functioned just fine. The next two days is Table 3 so that will be a much better test for the suspect PMAGs.

I will keep you all updated, and NickB, please check your PMs...

CarlosDJackal
12-10-09, 08:44
A buddy's son stopped using his Rev M PMags because he had to beat them into his issues M4 otherwise they would not seat. Since he is getting ready to go into harm's way; I recommended that he not bother taking but a couple with him and just used the issued mags.

FWIW, as much as I like my PMags and Lancer L5s, I still prefer to use my GI Aluminum mags because they seem to give me the least issues as long as I check them for function and wear and keep track of the ones that start showing problems.

Once a mag start having problems I mark it with red electrical tape and label it for "Range use only". If it consistently have issues, I take it out of use and only consider replacing the spring and follower as long as the feed lips are still within spec. even then I only use it for practice and zeroing.

If the feed lips are out of spec, I trash that mag. FWIW, out of the 100+ GI aluminum mags that I own, I only have 7 or 8 that are marked as "Range use only" and have only had to throw away 3 or 4. And I shot more than 13,000-rounds in 2008 alone. YMMV.

Saginaw79
12-10-09, 09:49
I had that happen on my original PMags, but it was only in one rifle, They do fine in all my others

ForTehNguyen
12-10-09, 10:30
A buddy's son stopped using his Rev M PMags because he had to beat them into his issues M4 otherwise they would not seat. Since he is getting ready to go into harm's way; I recommended that he not bother taking but a couple with him and just used the issued mags.

was he trying to load a full pmag with the bolt closed?

rjacobs
12-10-09, 10:33
was he trying to load a full pmag with the bolt closed?

PMAG's dont have issues with this like GI mags do.

ForTehNguyen
12-10-09, 11:07

my PMAGs do actually but its just a bigger slap than normal, nothing on the order of trying to jam or forcing it in. I have DPMS/CMMG lowers with BCM Auto BCGs. I have some USGI mags but I havent tried to load a full mag on closed bolt with those. Is it the resistance of inserting a full mag or it just plain doesn't insert with bolt closed?

lawusmc0844
12-10-09, 21:33
Almost finished with Table 3. I still have to qual tomorrow but I did the majority of the shooting today, since they tried to cram it all in one day. The suspect Gen I PMAGs ran just fine today, but I did have a failure to fire with one of my Rev-M PMAGs. Tap rack bang of course. I separated that one and will use it tomorrow to see if it will give me problems again.

Heavy Metal
12-10-09, 22:24

Ads long as you don't put 31 rounds in them.

lawusmc0844
12-12-09, 00:17
Finally done with range week. I had no other issues come up with the PMAGs. I should try doing a more intensive shooting session with them but its raining unfortunately. I will keep the "bad" ones separate for now.