PDA

View Full Version : DPMS .308 and AR10 Barrels?

jafount
12-07-09, 20:57
OK I tried the search feature first and couldn't come up with anything...

I sold my Armalite AR 10 because I am building a DPMS. I did this for two reasons:

1) I wanted the Iron Ridge Arms lower receiver (got it)

2) switched to DPMS pattern to take advantage of the new Pmags

yes, I know to some these might seem like trivial reasons to abandon a platform and a gun, but I figure I'm paying for it and I want what I want.

Anyway now for the help from the pros out there. I'm pretty much settled on an 18" barrel. I have looked at the carbon fiber wrapped barrels from ABS (nice but spendy...not sure I'm sold on the CF wrap as a $400-$500 value add).

I have Noveske on my m4gery and they have a host of them available on their site, but...they all say "armalite"?

Bottom line, whats the best way to go and is an armalite barrel extension a deal breaker on a DPMS platform build? What are the differences?

As always, thanks in advance for the help!

jwfuhrman
12-07-09, 21:17
Im curious to this as well. Im a HUGE fan of Noveske barrels, and was sad to read its Armalite as well.

SHIVAN
12-07-09, 21:31
I am pretty sure the guys at Noveske have stated to use DPMS parts for DPMS and ArmaLite for ArmaLite -- maybe ToddK will chime in....

Noveske uses ArmaLite parts because his shop builds ArmaLite based weapons and uppers.

eternal24k
12-08-09, 10:22
I contacted noveske a couple weeks ago seeing if it was possible to get a barrel with a DPMS extension and they said no.
I posted on TOS a request of a compilation of all DPMS pattern barrel makers, i got no response.

I got frustrated with lots of sellers (of nice barrels) telling me that there is no difference between DPMS and Armalite barrels or bolts, so I stopped shopping for a little while.
I will most likely got Rock Creek for mine

jafount
12-08-09, 10:29
Isn't it possible to remover the barrel extension and replace it with a DPMS?

SHIVAN
12-08-09, 10:57
Isn't it possible to remover the barrel extension and replace it with a DPMS?

Threads are different.

9mmkungfu
12-08-09, 14:27
You can get your DPMS upper receiver modified to accept Armalite-style barrel extensions.

The main difference is the Armalite uses the M4-style ramps and the DPMS receiver would need to be cut/modified to fit.

SHIVAN
12-08-09, 14:52
You can get your DPMS upper receiver modified to accept Armalite-style barrel extensions.

The main difference is the Armalite uses the M4-style ramps and the DPMS receiver would need to be cut/modified to fit.

I haven't dug deeper, and I don't want to misquote anyone, but I believe Noveske has stated that the extensions are close but not exactly the same where the bolt lug interface with the extension, and could cause an issue unless you were very careful.

I know of one person who claimed to have taken a DPMS barrel as is and install it on an ArmaLite upper with bolt and carrier. Stating it worked fine. I like sticking with all ArmaLite.

9mmkungfu
12-08-09, 15:05
I haven't dug deeper, and I don't want to misquote anyone, but I believe Noveske has stated that the extensions are close but not exactly the same where the bolt lug interface with the extension, and could cause an issue unless you were very careful.

I know of one person who claimed to have taken a DPMS barrel as is and install it on an ArmaLite upper with bolt and carrier. Stating it worked fine. I like sticking with all ArmaLite.

Hmmm. Maybe. I need to take a close look.

I actually have a DPMS upper receiver w/ Armalite AR10B 20" lightweight barrel that had 200 rounds fired through it (with a full DPMS BCG nonetheless). The previous owner didn't have any problems.

But, I'm getting the receiver machined to better fit the Armalite extension. I believe an Armalite bolt would be a good idea too.

Norcal911
12-09-09, 00:41
Fulton Armory uses Krieger barrels for their 308 builds and I'm pretty sure they use the DPMS pattern, maybe they can answer some of your questions. No experience with Krieger but I've always heard good stuff-Norcal911

Todd.K
12-09-09, 17:32
We would make the barrels slightly different if we made them for the DPMS. Headspace and boltspace are different.

There is also the difference of buffer weights and springs and the proper gas port for each.

7.62 ARs are not built to one standard like the 5.56 AR.

noone
12-13-09, 10:27
Can a barrel blank be set up with the barrel extension to mount it onto a DPMS upper?

I am considering having an Obermeyer 1-11 twist 5R barrel put onto a DPMS upper if it is possible.

If this is possible, about how much the work would cost to have a stainless barrel blank mounted onto my DPMS upper. I would like the muzzle threaded to accept a brake or flash suppressor.

9mmkungfu
12-13-09, 11:21
Can a barrel blank be set up with the barrel extension to mount it onto a DPMS upper?

I am considering having an Obermeyer 1-11 twist 5R barrel put onto a DPMS upper if it is possible.

If this is possible, about how much the work would cost to have a stainless barrel blank mounted onto my DPMS upper. I would like the muzzle threaded to accept a brake or flash suppressor.

Dave Ferrante at Heart Mountian Machine does these.

Heart Mountian Precision Machining
870 Road 19
Powell, WY 82435
Phone 307-754-1555

Call him and get a quote. At some point I will probably do the same.