PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters' insane stunt

ZDL
12-07-09, 22:46

jaydoc1
12-08-09, 00:12
:eek: That is without a doubt the best Mythbusters footage I've ever seen!

Jer
12-08-09, 02:16
Impressive.

SWATcop556
12-08-09, 04:09
Damn!

landrvrnut22
12-08-09, 06:49
Almost as good as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48j9INPICo :eek:

sandman99and9
12-08-09, 15:53
Holy crap, that sled was moving !!
How about that acceleration on the second stage ? :D

S.M.

PRGGodfather
12-08-09, 17:58
Good stuff! Same place where they cut the car directly in half with a rocket-plow!

gkanga
12-08-09, 22:31
Good stuff! Same place where they cut the car directly in half with a rocket-plow!

Yeah I think that was a lot cooler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXEHCakHD4k

milosz
12-08-09, 22:47
I'd vote for Keri getting her butt scanned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykhSLNlx3n0

Ridge_Runner_5
12-08-09, 23:12
I prefer the pancaking to the slicing. Its cool to see 2 halves of a car neatly cut down the middle by a piece of steel, but I find it more amazing to actually see the car vaporize as that metal plate impacts it...the car doesnt smash or bend or anything, you can actually see it turn to dust as the plate moves through it...

Jeffy
12-08-09, 23:21
One of my favorite shows. During the first season they used to do all of their shooting at the firing range near by. You can sometimes see Adam at Tad Gear in SF. Mi5 is up the road a few block from them.

PRGGodfather
12-09-09, 00:22
Yeah, they still come out to South San Francisco once in awhile. They try to spread the wealth and have different backdrops, and they like blow up bigger stuff than just guns these days. Off duty, they still shoot at Jackson Arms once in awhile. They actually took all of their Basic Firearms Safety Courses and Handgun Safety Courses at Jackson Arms.

When the MythBusters were small, it was hard to get free stuff -- now, they get free stuff all the time. Their sponsors have big money, and the cost of commercial time when up big time. They kind of outgrew the local range when Dillon Aero comped them an M134 mounted in Chevy SUV and all the thousands of rounds for it when Shooting Fish in a Barrel.

Yeah, they're not technically gun folks -- but at least they're not anti-gun in what is clearly occupied territory and a liberal industry.

Really nice bunch of people, too -- salt of the earth, and not nearly as goofy as they seem.

Bowser
12-09-09, 00:52
Mythbusters paintball gun at a recent Nvidia event. It was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKK933KK6Gg

74Highboy
12-09-09, 08:16
My daughter and son-in-law both work at New Mexico Tech EMRTC where these shots were filmed. I have been privileged to be able to witness some of the "interesting tests" that they have done (awesome). Sure would like to be an Ordnance Tech there for a few months.

SIN told the Myth Busters film crew I was a "Firearms Enthusiast" so we took a couple of them out to the range for a day of fun. Being from SFO they hadn't shot anything but a 22lr. They thought the 357 (think Dirty Harry) and the M1 Garand were the most fun of all the firearms they shot that day.

TY44934
12-09-09, 09:38
Yeah, their not technically gun folks -- but at least they're not anti-gun in what is clearly occupied territory and a liberal industry.

They are exactly the spokespeople that "our side" needs BECAUSE they are not "gun folks." Sad truth is that the "undecided" population is frightened of us "gun folks." And, our sport is not attracting young folks in the numbers we need.

The mythbusters crew are folks who most people in the bay area can relate to (I grew up in Marin - Tiburon actually). In fact, plenty of college kids/alternative folks all accross the USA can easily see themselves hanging out with the Mythbusters crew. They are accidental role models for some.

Put another way, seeing the Mythbusters crew having a great time while safely enjoying firearms just makes all their young viewers want to go shooting - because it is "cool." Keep up the good work in occupied territory.

Signed:

- former Bay Area resident & dedicated older gun-guy.

civilian
12-09-09, 10:43
They must have a pretty good budget for that show!

ForTehNguyen
12-09-09, 11:41
man that was ridiculous when stage 2 boosters kicked in

LRRP-87
12-09-09, 12:34

Gonna have to agree here also, WOW!

Chameleox
12-09-09, 12:43
Remember all those jobs you wish you could have had when you were growing up?

R/Tdrvr
12-09-09, 13:05
"What car?"

That was awesome. On the high speed camera it looks like the car just atomizes.

decodeddiesel
12-09-09, 13:34
Remember all those jobs you wish you could have had when you were growing up?

Not meaning to brag but this is the sort of thing we do all of the time at my job. I have spent a good deal of time at EMRTC (Socorro is kind of a dump) doing energetic material research and testing.

Wicked cool footage from the Mythbusters. I also agree on the pro-gun "role model" they present to a lot of people.

ToddG
12-09-09, 13:44
Not meaning to brag but this is the sort of thing we do all of the time at my job. I have spent a good deal of time at EMRTC (Socorro is kind of a dump) doing energetic material research and testing.

So if I wanted to put all the questions finally to rest and determine which would survive a 700mph impact better, a S&W M&P9 or an HK P30, you're the guy to call? :cool:

decodeddiesel
12-09-09, 13:57
So if I wanted to put all the questions finally to rest and determine which would survive a 700mph impact better, a S&W M&P9 or an HK P30, you're the guy to call? :cool:

If you want to do up a PO and send me about $50k or so we can get it done. ;)

Jeffy
12-09-09, 16:19
They are exactly the spokespeople that "our side" needs BECAUSE they are not "gun folks." Sad truth is that the "undecided" population is frightened of us "gun folks." And, our sport is not attracting young folks in the numbers we need.

The mythbusters crew are folks who most people in the bay area can relate to (I grew up in Marin - Tiburon actually). In fact, plenty of college kids/alternative folks all accross the USA can easily see themselves hanging out with the Mythbusters crew. They are accidental role models for some.

Put another way, seeing the Mythbusters crew having a great time while safely enjoying firearms just makes all their young viewers want to go shooting - because it is "cool." Keep up the good work in occupied territory.

Signed:

- former Bay Area resident & dedicated older gun-guy.I think the industry forces them have a more balanced opinion. Or at least forces them to put their fears/idology aside and see them as tools. They are not promoting nor are they condemning firearms. It's just a means to an end.

Adam drives an old BJ42 (Vintage Classics Restored CA SMOG Exempt Diesel) instead of some Toyota Prius so he has good taste there.

Jeffy
12-10-09, 13:26
So did anyone watch last nights episodes? Shooting a gun out of someone hands and jumping a bus?

ToddG
12-10-09, 13:59
Yes. The disarming myth was poorly tested. The theory that getting shot in the gun is no different than firing a gun is silly. How did they test it previously? Remember the thing with the bat? The gun went flying, the bat didn't go flying.

PRGGodfather
12-10-09, 15:06
Yes, that was my thought as well. They got the principle right, but the application was dicey.

More importantly, I thought their weapon handling in this episode was absolutely atrocious! There was no need to model pointing at each other and all of that silliness, even if the weapons were unloaded.

RULE #1: All guns are considered loaded at all times, and should be treated as such!

They both know better than that! C'mon, guys!

THAT'S why TV shows always need a safety officer, even when the producers think they know everything they need to know...

Jeffy
12-10-09, 15:55
Yes, that was my thought as well. They got the principle right, but the application was dicey.

More importantly, I thought their weapon handling in this episode was absolutely atrocious! There was no need to model pointing at each other and all of that silliness, even if the weapons were unloaded.

RULE #1: All guns are considered loaded at all times, and should be treated as such!

They both know better than that! C'mon, guys!

THAT'S why TV shows always need a safety officer, even when the producers think they know everything they need to know...Did you slap your forehead when Adam was waving the revolver around? :eek:;)

PRGGodfather
12-10-09, 16:54
Yup! And maybe even let an expletive fly! Sheesh!

I may not be qualified to critique their science at times, but gun safety? A gun is a not a pointer...

ZDL
12-10-09, 17:07

decodeddiesel
12-10-09, 17:08
WARNING: FRESHMAN PHYSICS CONTENT FOLLOWS

The problem with the whole concept that recoil impulse is equal to the bullet impact impulse is the period of acceleration.

Force = Mass times Acceleration.

Mass is fixed as the weight of the projectile, therefore the acceleration is the variable between the force of the recoil and the force of a bullet impacting. Assuming the delta of velocities are the same (velocity of the bullet vs stand still) then the shorter the period the higher the acceleration.

Acceleration = change in velocity over time, or change in distance over time squared.

Obviously a bullet traveling down a barrel is going to have a far longer period of acceleration (4.5" or so of travel) than a bullet impacting a hard surface (about 1/4" of travel). The bullet impacting is going to have orders of magnitude higher force than the bullet being fired.

The baseball bat experiment is a far better analog, but not nearly as exciting to viewers I'm sure.

Jeffy
12-10-09, 17:11
WARNING: FRESHMAN PHYSICS CONTENT FOLLOWS

The problem with the whole concept that recoil impulse is equal to the bullet impact impulse is the period of acceleration.

Force = Mass times Acceleration.

Mass is fixed as the weight of the projectile, therefore the acceleration is the variable between the force of the recoil and the force of a bullet impacting. Assuming the delta of velocities are the same (velocity of the bullet vs stand still) then the shorter the period the higher the acceleration.

Acceleration = change in velocity over time, or change in distance over time squared.

Obviously a bullet traveling down a barrel is going to have a far longer period of acceleration (4.5" or so of travel) than a bullet impacting a hard surface (about 1/4" of travel). The bullet impacting is going to have orders of magnitude higher force than the bullet being fired.

The baseball bat experiment is a far better analog, but not nearly as exciting to viewers I'm sure.Thanks for the explanation!