PDA

View Full Version : Eagle PC Question

Triton712
12-08-09, 15:52
Hey guys,

I have some 10x12 level IV standalone plates (front is operator cut, back is rectangular with rounded corners), and was looking to get a decent PC. After reading a while, I decided on the Eagle PC w/cummerbund. Most of the descriptions seem to indicate that a 10x12 plate will fit in the S/M carrier, and even Eagle agreed. However, after reading around I found a few guys who have said that a 10x12 rectangular plate will not fit in the back panel of a S/M. I'm confused, and was wondering if any of you with this PC and 10x12 plates could shed a little light on this issue. I was clear when I asked the Eagle rep about the plate shape/size with this size carrier, and they told me it wasn't an issue. It's got me wondering if I should change my order to a l/xl. I can easily order a new carrier, but for my size I'd prefer the tighter fitting medium. (5'8, 170lbs, 42 chest) Thanks for any input!

Iraq Ninja
12-08-09, 16:16
Sounds like you are stuck with your plates. There is a good reason why the military and most people using matching sets of plates. Besides the obvious inventory issues, it allows you to switch plates. For instance, your front plate gets hit or cracked, and you can change it out for your rear plate if you most likely threat is from the front.

Rectangle plates are not recommended for shooters, even on the back.

Anyhow, you may ask Eagle to give you one size for the front, and a larger for the rear. Keep an eye on the stitching on the elastic portion of the cummerbund. Mine failed to stay together. Still a good carrier though...

Triton712
12-08-09, 22:12
So does than mean that you think the 10x12 will not fit in this carrier? And that I should go for a large?

SWATcop556
12-08-09, 23:45
My understanding of the sizing is that an "operator cut" 10x12 plate will fit the smaller carrier but a rectangle plate will only fit the large carrier.

JSantoro
12-09-09, 13:28
I've questions about that carrier, as well.

I have the L/XL size, and am using standard USMC-issue SAPI plates in it, size L. There's what seems to me an inordinate amount of room left at the top, at least 1in., perhaps more, meaning I have to adjust the shoulder straps to pull the vest further up on my chest for proper coverage, even after folding the plate retention flap up as far as I can. My gauge for this is that, while wearing the carrier, I should be able to tuck my chin to my chest and touch the top of the plate. So, there's a lot of empty plate sleeve under my chin when I do that, and the bottom of the carrier is now up higher than what seems correct to me.

Is that only in my head because I'm still used to wearing an Interceptor/Spartan II/MTV?

Are XL plates THAT much bigger, that they need that much room? Is the plate sleeve sized more for the thicker ESAPIs?

My first thought is to cut a riser pad(s) for the plate out of a closed-cell bitch-mat, or some such, and I'd appreciate somebody sharpshooting the idea before I go right for the "ghetto" solution

TimW
12-09-09, 13:56
The S/M Eagle plate carrier rear pouch/pocket/whatever-you-want-to-call-it WILL NOT hold a rectangular 10x12" plate. It needs to be operator cut. The reason has to do with how the shoulder straps are sewn into the carrier...the internal dimensions narrow at the top. A rectangular 10x12" plate will stick out the bottom about 1.5", which won't allow the bottom flap to close.

The L/XL is sized to take up to XL plates, which (if my recollection is accurate) are 14" long.

msap
12-09-09, 15:01
I have a S/M Eagle PC and my 10x12 rectangular plate does not fit properly. I can force it in the pocket and get the flap closed but it's not a propper fit. I've since switched to an RBAV carrier. If still rockin the Eagle PC I would go with the L/XL and adjust the shoulder straps for propper coverage in the front. I also found that if you are using soft armor in your carrier it makes the plates even tighter so again, IMO, the L/XL is the way to go.

Triton712
12-09-09, 21:40
I have obviously decided I'll probably order a L/XL Eagle plate carrier thankfully due to the responses I got from you guys. Do those of you with the large carrier find that 10x12 plates leave too much room in the plate pockets? I just wanna be sure that the plates wont be sloshing around in those larger pockets. If any of you think there may be a better carrier out there, feel free to share. I'm always open to advice from experienced users. I am leaning towards this model due to the cummerbund (have some 6x6 soft plates I can put to use), and amount of MOLLE real estate.

Iraq Ninja
12-09-09, 22:09
Generally, the only thing you will notice is that the plate hangs lower in the pocket. This can be a major issue for obvious reasons.

Plates in large pockets don't move around too much.

You didn't mention what brand of plates you will be using. Plate thickness is also a consideration.

TimW
12-09-09, 22:35
Triton

Just put the rectangular in the front of the s/m...it'll fit there. Just not in the back.

On curved plates, front and back are the same. There really is no "front" or "back" plate.

JSantoro
12-09-09, 22:41
The L/XL is sized to take up to XL plates, which (if my recollection is accurate) are 14" long.

You're right, I measured 11.5" wide by 14" long, so my plates are swimming a bit. Not worried about lateral, but the height is a mental hangnail for me, a constant gripe. I'm gonna try some of that flexible foam insulation for pipes; cheap, rigid enough to maybe keep the plate up and flexible enough to not alter the way the carrier hem molds to me.

It'll only have to do for as long as it take my soft armor backers to show.

Triton712
12-10-09, 09:11
Problem solved... I contacted my plate supplier and ordered a second "front" plate that is also operators cut. The front and back have the same curvature as someone stated, so I think that should allow me to use the better fitting s/m.

Triton712
12-11-09, 15:22
Alright, finally got my orders in today. What I ended up doing was getting an Eagle Carrier with cummerbund size S/M in OD, and actually ordered a L/XL size extra cummerbund extra to give me a better fit around the waist. A friends size S/M I tried on was a little snug in that area even without plates, and I didn't just go for the L/XL because I didn't want too much room left at the top of the plate. The only annoying thing was that I couldn't find the extra cummerbund in OD to match the rest of the carrier. Its coyote brown, but I'll barely be able to tell once I add my pouches. I suppose with it being camo, it doesn't matter at all anyway as long as the colors aren't in stark contrast to each other. I was having a hard time deciding what color to get between these two, and now I have a little of each, lol. Thanks again guys for the input.