PDA

View Full Version : Some NewB Optics Questions

mikiek
12-08-09, 17:17
Been looking into optics for my AR for a couple of weeks now. Talk about researching yourself to death :confused: I'm still deciding on the design type and I won't get into that now. One requirement that is at or near the top of my list is night shooting, so something with illumination is a must (nope can't afford NV equipment).

In reading comments and reviews it seems like there are a lot of complaints about many of the illuminated products that the illumination is either not visible or barely visible in the daytime. At first, comments like this had turned my away from several products I was interested in. But after a while I got to thinking - it's daylight why do I need illumination?

So there is question #1.

Question #2 - As far as red dot optics go, at night can someone on the business end of a rifle with a red dot see the red dot? Is that a liability?

Question #3 - I know what eye relief is, however when I see eye relief listed on a product spec sheet - let's say 3.5" - does that mean your eye needs to be exactly that distance from the optic or do you find there is usually a range on either side of that number?

RAM Engineer
12-08-09, 18:50
1. Yes, illumination helps, no matter what the ambient light it. Ever tried to pick up a black reticle on a black target? At speed? Are you in the shade? Is your target in the shade?

2. Why would a person with a red dot scope see anything that someone downrange without a red dot wouldn't see?

3. There's usually a range, but it is variable from model to model.

mikiek
12-08-09, 19:22
2. Why would a person with a red dot scope see anything that someone downrange without a red dot wouldn't see?

Guess I wasn't clear there - If I a bad guy is some distance downrange of a rifle with a red dot that is aimed at him, will he see the dot?

shittercrewchief
12-08-09, 19:25
no he will not see it. but why would you shoot at something in the dark?
That's just not safe, Get a flash light or NVG's

RUSKI
12-08-09, 20:36
Whats your price range?

To answer question 2.
As far as I know any optic that has a diode projecting forward and then reflecting off the front glass is visible from the front of the sight. For example here is a Vortex Strikefire pictured from the front with both colors showing.
So yes there is a chance ( vary vary small one ) someone on the business end may see your diode projection.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=834

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=833

Here is a EOTech 552 with nothing showing from the front.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=832

Hope that helps.

mikiek
12-08-09, 20:49
but why would you shoot at something in the dark?
That's just not safe, Get a flash light or NVG's

Hunting - regular game not the 2 legged type.

shittercrewchief
12-08-09, 20:56
ahh gotcha

mikiek
12-08-09, 21:00
Thanks Ruski - that helps a lot. So I guess in theory the dot is visible, in a real world scenario maybe not.

Oh - and as far as my outlay for optics, most of the products I'm looking at are in the $700-$1500 range. I've been torn between the 1-4x types and the 2-10x types. CQB, while always a possibility, is not at the top of my requirements list so I'm leaning towards the variable 2-10x variety (at least this week:p) for a 50-300 yd range.

RUSKI
12-08-09, 21:45
Good luck.
You have some great choices in that price range.

mikiek
12-10-09, 19:28
The problem is I keep coming across new choices that are above that range - Elcan, Swarovski, USO to name a few. :(