PDA

View Full Version : Gas regulator for M4

rocket
12-08-09, 18:52
Hi all, newbie on the forum here working on my first build. I've got a BCM M4 upper headed my way and had a question about adding a regulator to help miniminze the stress on the BCG. I plan on going with a BCM, Colt, or LMT BCG. I was told by a smith to add a "gas regulator" or even one that can be adjusted. Not sure of this and would appreciate any advice on the matter. Thanks all!

Thomas M-4
12-08-09, 21:00
BCM M4 already is drilled with the small gas port.

rocket
12-08-09, 21:36
BCM M4 already is drilled with the small gas port.

So is there any other type of regulator he's talking about? He was talking about one that can be adjusted. I've never heard of anything like that before.

Thomas M-4
12-08-09, 22:18
So is there any other type of regulator he's talking about? He was talking about one that can be adjusted. I've never heard of anything like that before.

They make adjustable gas regulators for example pri makes one as do others.
But most application that I see adjustable regulators used the gas port is drilled out to the maximum size then the regulator is used to dial pressure back.
It is used mostly with competition 3 gun rifles with lightweight bolt carriers and with guys shooting the 300 whisper with suppressors.
If you are building a serious defense rifle you would be better off using heavy buffers to slow down the BCG. BCM already uses the small gas port and there lower's come with an H-Buffer already installed.

rocket
12-08-09, 22:59
Thanks Thomas...I think I'll scratch the adjustable regulator idea and go strictly BCM. Makes me wonder why they don't do complete builds...at least none that I've seen on the website.

sewvacman
12-09-09, 08:16
Um.. They do actually. Buy one here, you won't be sorry.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM