PDA

View Full Version : sig standard trigger vs short trigger(not srt)

threeheadeddog
12-08-09, 22:20
I have 2 sigs now and shoot them decent I guess, but both have the short triggers on them from the factory and it seems like I would prefer the trigger stroke to be slightly longer in reach. Does the standard trigger provide this? Does the girth of the standar trigger in any way make the overtravel less(by hitting the frame earlier in stroke due to front to back width much like the "speed bump" mod to trigger).

Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

Robb Jensen
12-08-09, 22:26
Travel is the same, the short trigger just shortens the reach.

ToddG
12-08-09, 22:46
The standard trigger is a bit blockier and extends farther toward the front of the gun. The arc of movement (trigger pull distance) doesn't change because all of the contact points and angles are the same. The short trigger just makes it easier to get your finger on and around the trigger.

It's a very personal thing. For me, a short trigger is almost a necessity to shoot a P220, P226, or P228/P229 well. For a buddy of mine with similarly sized hands, he hates the short trigger.

threeheadeddog
12-09-09, 06:06
I may try one. I definetly feel little cramped especially in single action.

Now this is a stupid question but recently switching from 1911's I have to ask. Do I need to fit the trigger when I buy it or should it just drop in?

ToddG
12-09-09, 06:25
The trigger will just drop in. It's fairly easy. However, getting the locking insert back in place requires a certain amount of know-how and, if it's your first time, patience. I forget off the top of my head now, but something like seven other things all have to be aligned exactly right for the locking insert to drop into place. If it doesn't literally fall right in, something isn't aligned and trying to apply force won't help.

From memory and not looking at a gun:

Hammer must be down.
Trigger must be all the way forward.
Trigger pin must be centered left-to-right.
Trigger pin mark (L side of pin) must be horizontal.
Trigger pin cuts must be facing back and down.
Trigger bar must be parallel to frame.

That's only six. I may be forgetting one...

edited to add: And the slide release lever needs to be flush against the frame. That's #7.

rob_s
12-09-09, 06:30
I installed a few short triggers in Sigs many moons ago. Mostly 226s and 228s. IIRC the only difference was in the thickness of the trigger itself, making it easier to reach, as GotM4 and Todd have said.

I also remember it being a lot of trial and error the first time, and that there were a whole hell of a lot of linkages and parts, but that there was no fitting or stoning required and the part was "drop in" with the caveat that dropping it in required a lot of criteria to be met. It does not "drop in" the way a Glock or AR trigger does, but nor does it require "fitting" the way a 1911 trigger does.

threeheadeddog
12-09-09, 18:59
I made sure when I bought my first sig that I bought an armorers dvd. I like to be able to detail strip my pistols every recoil spring change(3k or so) so that I can look over the parts for odd wear ect.

Ty for your guys help.

As a side note just cus I'm happy about it. This weekend I did shoot the IDPA qualifier in a master time :D with my less than 5 week old sig 229. I had a really good run going too. I only had 3 points down going into string 3 but managed to pull another 18 :confused: on string three. I am usually a much more accurate shooter than that but a combination of new gun, with cramped sights(tru glows from factory), cold finger numbing weather, and of course bad shooting made me just squeak in under the limit. 88.xx seconds with 21pts down for a total of 98.xx in at just under the 98.82 limit :eek:. Not bad considering I stopped shooting IDPA about 1.5 years ago due to the economy as a Sharpshooter in CDP. This was only my third time shooting this year but I have spent a GREAT MANY hours of dryfire practice over that time.

Self gratifying rant over.

PT Doc
12-09-09, 20:56
FWIW, Bruce Gray of Gray Guns does an intermediate trigger which is obviously between the standard and short triggers.

noops
12-09-09, 23:04
Three head. I'm an armorer and I've got bunches of extra standards. I'll send ya one to try, if you like it you donate $20 to M4c and keepit. If not you send it back. Pm me if you want.

8200rpm
12-10-09, 21:14
I installed a short trigger on my P226 but ended up reinstalling the standard trigger.

The shorter reach made the trigger FEEL heavier. My finger was flexed slightly more on the short trigger; as a result, the anatomical leverage needed to pull the trigger seemed heavier even though there was no change to mainspring or trigger geometry.